Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Siem Reap to Poipet

Posted by Dasu on 20/7/2008 at 12:09

Hi

I will be travelling to Cambodia and Thailand next January. I trevelled from Siem Reap to Poipet by Bus/taxi in 2006, and the road was pretty rough and dusty. Just wondering if there have been any improvements to the road?

An alternative would be to travel north and cross the border at O Smack, which is closer to where I am going in Thailand (Buri Ram). Anyone have info on this option.

#1 Dasu has been a member since 20/7/2008. Posts: 4

Posted by Lother on 20/7/2008 at 12:57

It's certainly improved, but still rough in places. See this for road conditions as of March 2008:
http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia-overland-bkksr-roadcon.htm

I haven't tried the O Smack crossing. But just out of curiousity, why are you going to Buri Ram? :) It's not a place that gets on many itineraries, which is precisely the reason I visited the town with a friend last year, and ended up spending a particularly interesting, very local Loy Krathong there.

#2 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214

Posted by Dasu on 21/7/2008 at 09:52

Thanks for the info Lother. Great website, very informative. I'll check it closer to my travel date for updates.

As for your question, "Why are you going to Buri Ram?". My wifes family lives in a small village named Ban Paiboon. It's on the highway between Prakonchai and Buri Ram. Great place, very rural, no farangs (except me). We try and go here at least every second year. Always have an amazing time here.

#3 Dasu has been a member since 20/7/2008. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.