Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Anyone been to an Apsara dinner dance show in Siem Reap

• lennybruce

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2008
    Location Netherlands

Want to see one of these shows on my next trip back in Sept. Unfortunately I can't go when the annual sound and light show is held at Angkor Wat itself so I figured I would try one of the many dinner dance shows on offer.

Has anyone been to one? Which one? Was it nice or tacky?

Thanks for the info!

#1 Posted: 31/7/2008 - 16:42

• Advertisement

• zaoyi

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2008

yup been to thr. I couldn't appreciate the dance and the dinner was average. Would not recommend it, too touristy.

#2 Posted: 3/8/2008 - 01:41

• Ramblergirl

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 8

Yes, we have been to one as well. I liked the dances, very colourful and pretty. The dancers looked like "working" i.e. not really enjoying themselves in dancing. They let the audience come to the stage and be photographed with them. The venue was a big restaurant, long tables, no service, expensive drinks, only tourists. The food was OK, at least three buffet tables with food from different Asian countries.
    As soon as the performance had finished, the people left, there was nothing to keep us there. I dont remember the name of the restaurant, but it doesn't matter, they are all the same. If you dont go, you wont miss anything. As Zaoyi said, too touristy.

#3 Posted: 3/8/2008 - 06:29

• lennybruce

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2008
    Location Netherlands

Sounds unanimous. What a shame. But you have saved me an evening and a few bucks.

#4 Posted: 3/8/2008 - 17:28

• srsdj

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2007
    Total reviews: 11

The place we went to was probably the same place described by post #3. Was it touristy? Yes. Was it worth seeing? Yes. It would be a pity to travel all that way and not experience an Apsara show.

#5 Posted: 4/8/2008 - 10:32

• lennybruce

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2008
    Location Netherlands

Aha, so it is not unanimous.... thnks srsdj for a dissenting opinion...

#6 Posted: 4/8/2008 - 16:17

• liquefiedst-
    ars

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2008

We went to the show upstairs at Temple Club. It's a fantastic restaurant and bar in itself and the free Aspara dance show didn't hurt. I personally enjoyed it - it's not something I could just sit there and watch but it was a good backdrop for dinner. The dancers were high professional (although yes, a little bored).

Was it touristy? I guess so. It's in a western joint amongst a whole strip of western joints situated in what is essentially travellers central. But I thought it was good value :) If nothing else, you can have a great dinner there.

#7 Posted: 4/8/2008 - 19:05

• lennybruce

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2008
    Location Netherlands

Thnks liquifiedstars for the specific restaurant tip! Btw, your nick has got great imagery in it. Nice.

#8 Posted: 5/8/2008 - 00:22

• liquefiedst-
    ars

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2008

Thanks lennybruce. You're welcome :)

#9 Posted: 5/8/2008 - 13:29

• silverwool

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2007

I went to one in Pokambor Avenue a few years ago. It was fine but very touristy. However, we are all tourists! At the end of the show the dancers stood on stage looking very bored while loads of people got up to be photographed with them. Meal was an all you can eat buffet from memory. (Suspect its the place Ramblergirl was at)

Another option is the shadow puppet show at La Noria guesthouse. Nice meal and show. I think it cost us about $14 per head including a drink or two.

#10 Posted: 9/8/2008 - 20:01

• Advertisement

• steveatkins

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2007

Unfortunately as Siem Reap is a pure tourist town, all the Apsara shows are touristy, there is no getting away from it. As for the dancers looking bored, that is the style, they are not supposed to show emotion. I have been to 10 plus Apsara shows in various different locations around the country and the emotionless expression is always the same. Perhaps try to see a show performed by children, they are not so good at controlling their expressions and you can see they are enjoying it. Also some shows have some 'village' dances and these are more expression-ful. Saying all that, as you are in Cambodia you really should see at least one Apsara dance shom...

#11 Posted: 20/8/2008 - 06:36

• Yann

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2014

Old topic but I would like to share my experience as I recently went to 2 apsara dinner shows in Siem Reap, the Temple one and Smile of Angkor .

The Temple show in pub street and is free, you just need to have dinner there and you will have the opportunity to see this beautiful traditional dance.

The Smile of Angkor show is more... let's say professional. I went there on the advise of my guide, but I still checked out their website and it was a good idea. The guide asked $38 include buffet-dinner, I got the ticket for $25 without dinner. I have to say that I am not disappointed: they advertise on the fact that the dancers belong to royal Khmer ballet and I saw a big difference between the 2 performances... More, the modern stage and lights really enhance the show.
    You will also see other performances such as traditional boxing. Still a bit pricy but I don't regret.

You can check it out here: http://www.smileofangkor.info

#12 Posted: 2/5/2014 - 01:53

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Siam Niramit in Bangkok is very good. Really professional and well done.

#13 Posted: 2/5/2014 - 03:55

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

If you're heading to Phnom Penh as well as Siem Reap, I'd recommend the Cambodian Living Arts performances at The National Museum. There's a choice of three shows, including a dance performance that includes folk dances and tribal routines. They take a break during the rainy season, but well worth a visit if you're here at the right time. More information here in the Phnom Penh section.

#14 Posted: 2/5/2014 - 06:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Apsara Dance Initiation and Demonstration ... By apsarapichschoo on 10 Jul 2012 0 1102 10 Jul 2012
Rosana Broadway Cabaret Show - Siem Reap ... By kasemth on 17 May 2014 0 616 17 May 2014