Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Route between Can Tho and Kampot, Cambodia

Posted by maliamaui on 1/8/2008 at 12:52

I'm wondering if from Can Tho it is better to go through Chau Doc, cross the border, through Takeo and then down to Kampot?

OR over to Rach Gia up the coast to Ha Tien,cross there (having my Cambodia visa already of course) to kampot
OR

Go to Chau Doc, then to Ha Tien and then cross

Has anyone done any of these routes?

Does anyone have updates on road conditions between Chau Doc and Ha Tien or has anyone been on a bus or boat between those two towns?
In one forum from about a year ago someone said that they were making it a two lane road but that back then part of the road was only passable by motorbike.

Does anyone know about road conditions between Can Tho and Rach Gia and up the coast (the coast sounds nice)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

#1 maliamaui has been a member since 1/8/2008. Posts: 17

Posted by somtam2000 on 4/8/2008 at 08:26 admin

The road from Can Tho to Rach Gia is fine -- sealed the whole way. Can't help on onwards travel to Ha Tien etc.

If you're end destination is Kampot I'd lean towards Can Tho -> Rach Gia -> Ha Tien -> Kep -> Kampot as being the best/quickest route.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by steveatkins on 20/8/2008 at 06:39

The Ha Tien crossing to KAmpot is the way to go, still off the tourist trail and see some great countryside...

#3 steveatkins has been a member since 15/6/2007. Posts: 33

Posted by Doniwarner on 9/4/2010 at 18:43

Has anyone made this trip recently? I will be doing it in May and I am looking for any updates

#4 Doniwarner has been a member since 12/2/2010. Posts: 19

Posted by eastwest on 10/4/2010 at 13:14

I live in the area and it is all pretty straight forward. Perhaps not as smoothly organized or easy as the other routes.

Roads are fine all the way and the dirtroad that charlondon is referring to is the shortcut from Ha Tien to Kep. Only about 10km or so. The long way around on sealed road (30km) is not necessary since the shortcut will also be passable in rainy season.

Route in Vietnam is scenic (not so much between Rach Gia and Ha Tien) and I would prefer this route over the alternatives if I was travelling. For pure efficiency/comfort the other routes are better but you'll feel like cattle being herded from one place to the other with a bus full of people.

#5 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.