Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

rounding up a posse to go to cambodia

• yoooohooo

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2008

Hi my name is Ian Hawkes I'm 30 years old and I'm looking to join or round up a posse of people to go to Cambodia. The goal being to find a great beach location and instead of paying $10+ per night we all chip in and rent or buy a house or piece of land and we develop it ourselves. Now this makes sense for me because I'm gonna stay for about 6 months maybe more. At the moment I'm just going to chill and visit a few temples etc using the beach spot as base camp. I'm thinking about flying out mid November 2008. If you're keen let's get in contact and see what skills/knowledge we all bring figure out some kind of project cost it and do it. Thanks

#1 Posted: 8/8/2008 - 22:23

• Advertisement

• yoooohooo

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2008

been doing some research. The Tropical Beach (get in) is about 250km from Phnom Penh. The roads are good so that's about a 4 hour road trip. Be great if a mechanic is on board perhaps we buy a wee car and ferry ourselves to and from + pick up supplies. I went to www.expat-advisory.com and found a few cars for about $800 there's real estate on there too.

#2 Posted: 8/8/2008 - 23:03

• peppermintp-
    addy

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

interesting idea ian,it might be an idea to swap email addies and pass on info .pfeney@tiscali.co.uk-rsvp

#3 Posted: 9/8/2008 - 03:21

• yoooohooo

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2008

oh yea my email address is ian.hawks@tiscali.co.uk

peppermintpaddy I tried to email you but your address is not recognised???
    Please only hippy at heart people none of this peado jive

#4 Posted: 9/8/2008 - 14:48

• TonyL

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2006

I wish that your idea was so easy to bring to fruition. Unfortunately you are going to run into all sorts of problems with the authorities. Cambodia is notoriously corrupt and everybody with any sort of authority will want backhanders or block your every move. Even if you do pay you could easily find that when the project was completed they would find some way of getting it off you. My advice is to spend some time in Cambodia before you attempt any sort of development, and get the opinion of people from abroad who have managed to get around the system. A fool and his money can be easily parted and even a genius can lose his shirt in Cambodia. A great place for a holiday but a nightmare to try and settle in.

#5 Posted: 11/8/2008 - 12:22

• yoooohooo

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2008

Thanks. yea I've been doing a lot of research. Can't legally drive even a bit dodgy with an Int license. We've been planning on spending a few months getting a lay of the land and seeing what is possible. Not there to make money just to have a base and something to do. I hear you about bribes and people wanting to take the shirt off your back etc I've just come back form 5 years in Peru and boy o boy do they like shirts. Thinking about just going to St Tropez instead at the moment

here's a couple of interesting sites I've been looking at so your up to date when posting to join the posse

http://advertiser.sihanoukville-cambodia.com/
    http://www.sihanoukvillebackpacker.com/main/rooms.html

#6 Posted: 11/8/2008 - 13:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.