Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Vietnam, Laos or Cambodia?

• piglet44

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

We have two weeks to travel in April.
    Which country would be the best bet? We like temples, scenery, people. Not looking for a tough trek more something "soft" but cultural.
    Have been to South India, China and Thailand in past trips and enjoyed all of them.
    Heard that the Vietnamese are not so friendly.Any comments?
    thanks

#1 Posted: 13/8/2008 - 13:35

• Advertisement

• jimsparadise

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2006

Since you enjoy temples, scenery, and people, I think Laos offers much in all those things. Although, the temple of Angkor Wat in Cambodia--along with their beach area of Sihanoukville offers good variety in a vacation. I found the Vietnamese to be fine--just a little more Capitalistic. Laos is way laid back--Cambodia is somewhere in between. I suggest searching this website--write down names of places,from cities, temples, sites to see, and google them up on internet for all 3 countries and one should stand out for you. I love all 3 and will return to all of them for some more good times.

#2 Posted: 13/8/2008 - 17:35

• wendo

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2008

Definitely Siem Reap for the temples so many to visit all unique. Angkor Wat is stunning as is Angkor Thom (inclding Bayaon) venture further to Banteay Srey and Banteay Samre etc. There is also Preah Vihear. I found Cambodians very friendly and a lot speak English. Lots of fun to travel around - I spent 2 months there and 1 month in Laos. Laos is also very beautiful with Wat Phu 4000 Islands, Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang. Cambodia very cheap to travel. April is starting to get cooler and quieter and less tourists. It starts to rain a little more in April. I highly recommend both Cambodia and Laos. I was going to Vietnam but a lot of people who have done all three said not to bother as Vietnam was too pushy.

#3 Posted: 14/8/2008 - 11:26

• SteinOfOran-
    ge

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2007
    Location United States

Laos is the best, if you want "old school" Asia. Vietnam is far more beautiful than Cambodia. Angkor Wat is a one day expereince.

#4 Posted: 6/10/2008 - 20:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.