Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Phnom Pehn to Kratie to Pakse to 4,000 islands

Posted by sarahmlowry on 17/8/2008 at 16:28

How long does it take to get from Phnom Pehn to Kratie to Pakse to the 4,000 islands area by bus? Are there any boat options? How long does the border crossing take? Any info on this route welcomed.

#1 sarahmlowry has been a member since 17/8/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by Lother on 18/8/2008 at 00:46

The bus to Kratie takes about 5 hours from PP. From Krati you can take a minivan straight through Stung Treng across the border to Don Det without the need to go to Pakse. The trip will take most of the day. This is one of the cases where a "package solution" like this is actually worth taking. The border crossing should only take minutes, I can't imagine there ever being a queue :).

#2 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214

Posted by somtam2000 on 18/8/2008 at 12:35 admin

We're got a story here about doing the trip in reverse -- may be of interest.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by nsenarat on 16/8/2010 at 14:00

I realize this thread is a couple of years old, but I'm only finding info about this going Laos to Cambodia, and not the other way around.

Do you know where you can arrange one of these border crossing packages in Cambodia? What I mean is, can I find a place to do it in Kratie or Stung Treng? Or will I have to do it in Siem Reap or Phnom Penh?

I appreciate any advice you might have...

#4 nsenarat has been a member since 16/8/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by svendj on 16/8/2010 at 22:13

for the package deals it's best to arrange this in Siem Reap or Phnom Penh, as the only thing I could book in Stung Treng was a bus to Kratie, PP or Siem Reap.

It is possible to ask some locals in Stung Treng to take you to the border and go on from there. There are some minivan busses driving from 4000 islands to the border regularly (in the morning though), so you might want to try it this way. Still, if you don't like all the hassle of finding your way to 4000 islands then really book a trip, probably only cost you about 10 USD from anywhere in Cambodia.

#5 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Where has svendj been? 

Posted by Jimbobber on 7/5/2011 at 17:24

Hey, I am looking to book a minibus from Kratie to 4000 islands...

Can anyone recommend a travel agents to get this sorted in Phnom Penh before I leave?

Also, if anyone knows, what time will the bus leave Kratie for the islands?

Thanks so much

#6 Jimbobber has been a member since 18/11/2010. Posts: 11

Posted by Rasheeed on 11/5/2011 at 13:11

Sort it in Kratie. Stop by the Sorya office near the river front. Joe at Red Sun falling or Andrew at balcony, or the Sorya office, or anyone else should be able to point you in the right direction.

In Stung Treng you can just ask at Riverfront/side/whatever. Mr. T's place. Not hard.

'sheeed

#7 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.