Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Vientiane or Siem Reap

Posted by odessafile on 13/9/2008 at 11:09

We have a tight schedule during our travels. But, due to the limited airline availability, we will have one day of relaxation and shopping. Where would you recommend we spend it in Vientiane or in Siem Reap?

#1 odessafile has been a member since 27/8/2008. Posts: 8

Posted by SBE on 13/9/2008 at 16:29

Would you be going to either place just for one day's relaxation and shopping or are you going to be there anyway? What kind of shopping? There are local markets and hotels with pools in both places.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,004
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 13/9/2008 at 18:51 TF writer

Vientiane is a nicer town to relax in... there's lots of little shops, nice cafes for coffee, and a mellow riverfront area with cheap food and drinks. It's a great city to lazily explore by foot.

Siam Reap has little to offer other than going to Angkor Wat... there are some really nice hotels and restaurants (upper price range) there though.

#3 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by odessafile on 14/9/2008 at 03:21

SBE,
We will be there anyway. I would like to shop for local crafts. I do not care about the pools. I am looking more for a town not to hurry, scroll around, watch the locals, and shop a little.

#4 odessafile has been a member since 27/8/2008. Posts: 8

Posted by SBE on 14/9/2008 at 15:05

In that case I'd choose Vientiane too. There's a morning market you could wander round which has silks etc then you could stroll around the town in the afternoon.

#5 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,004
 Where has SBE been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.