Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Lone Traveller+Accomodation Phnom Penh

Posted by seaeagle on 2/10/2008 at 02:38

Hey there,

As a lone male traveller in Laos and Cambodia (travelling North from Lao to Phnom Penh) i was wondering which would be the best place in Phnom Penh to get a real taste of the city yet also meet people?

I was thinking either staying on the corner of street 178 (Bright Lotus Guesthouse) or on Street 51 (Walkabout) or wherever really. Im only 20 so luxury isn't really a requirement

Thanks

#1 seaeagle has been a member since 27/9/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by seaeagle on 2/10/2008 at 02:38

Sorry i meant south from Lao (im sure you know what i mean)

#2 seaeagle has been a member since 27/9/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by mrparanoid on 21/10/2008 at 15:48

Walkabout in street 51 is basically a.. eh.. "house of ill repute". Where mainly prostitutes and people looking for prostitutes hang out. I also believe rooms in the walkabout are used for "short time" encounters between these two forementioned groups of people. I would not recommend staying there if that is not what you are looking for.
'Velkommen inn' on street 104 is a great place. Even if it is in a bar street, it is not a very noisy area. It is a family friendly place with a very helpful owner and great staff. (If you are there on a sunday you should join the owner for a Hash House Harriers run.. Loads of expats and some locals get together for a run in the outskirts of Phnom Penh(Countryside).. Very social.. You will most likely meet loads of people.)Recently opened. Has in room safe. Rooms from $15-35 I think.. I just stayed there 2 weeks ago. Had the biggest room with balcony.
Just across the street is Pickled Parrot which is open 24 hours and has wireless internet, and a pc you can use.

#3 mrparanoid has been a member since 2/6/2008. Posts: 35

Posted by mrparanoid on 21/10/2008 at 22:28

I actually double-checked with a friend just to be certain that I did not post false information, and I need to correct something.. To be fair.. Walkabout in itself is actually a 24-hour bar with pool, some tv's with sports and also they serve food as well.. They also have rooms for rent.. and is not actually per definiton a "house of ill repute". But it is mainly frequented by local women seeking short-term company and tourists that are looking for the same thing.

#4 mrparanoid has been a member since 2/6/2008. Posts: 35

Posted by seaeagle on 22/10/2008 at 00:24

Righteo

thanks a lot for the reply!! Yeah a couple of my mates went to the walkabout and they said pretty much what you did, will continue the research

#5 seaeagle has been a member since 27/9/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by neogary on 22/10/2008 at 01:02

I think No.9 Guesthouse by the lakeside or the guesthouses around the lovely area is nice. didnt stay here though, just chanced upon the place and had a couple of beers, sunset from the porch was great,i'd drink more if not for the fact that i goto walk a long way back to where i stay ( near independence monument )

#6 neogary has been a member since 23/9/2005. Posts: 5

Posted by mrparanoid on 22/10/2008 at 18:12

I was there drinking one night, playing some pool.. and I agree that it is especially nice at sunset on the porch with a cold beer.
I didn't see the rooms but by the people living there it couldn't have been too bad. Nice staff. Ok food. But it isn't a very Cambodian experience I think. Nothing but westerners and a couple of africans sitting around reading lonely planet openly smoking ganja.. sharing 1 beer. If you want a taste of Phnom Penh you would be better off living in a different area I think.

#7 mrparanoid has been a member since 2/6/2008. Posts: 35

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.