Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Lone Traveller+Accomodation Phnom Penh

• seaeagle

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2008

Hey there,

As a lone male traveller in Laos and Cambodia (travelling North from Lao to Phnom Penh) i was wondering which would be the best place in Phnom Penh to get a real taste of the city yet also meet people?

I was thinking either staying on the corner of street 178 (Bright Lotus Guesthouse) or on Street 51 (Walkabout) or wherever really. Im only 20 so luxury isn't really a requirement

Thanks

#1 Posted: 2/10/2008 - 02:38

• Advertisement

• seaeagle

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2008

Sorry i meant south from Lao (im sure you know what i mean)

#2 Posted: 2/10/2008 - 02:38

• mrparanoid

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2008

Walkabout in street 51 is basically a.. eh.. "house of ill repute". Where mainly prostitutes and people looking for prostitutes hang out. I also believe rooms in the walkabout are used for "short time" encounters between these two forementioned groups of people. I would not recommend staying there if that is not what you are looking for.
    'Velkommen inn' on street 104 is a great place. Even if it is in a bar street, it is not a very noisy area. It is a family friendly place with a very helpful owner and great staff. (If you are there on a sunday you should join the owner for a Hash House Harriers run.. Loads of expats and some locals get together for a run in the outskirts of Phnom Penh(Countryside).. Very social.. You will most likely meet loads of people.)Recently opened. Has in room safe. Rooms from $15-35 I think.. I just stayed there 2 weeks ago. Had the biggest room with balcony.
    Just across the street is Pickled Parrot which is open 24 hours and has wireless internet, and a pc you can use.

#3 Posted: 21/10/2008 - 15:48

• mrparanoid

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2008

I actually double-checked with a friend just to be certain that I did not post false information, and I need to correct something.. To be fair.. Walkabout in itself is actually a 24-hour bar with pool, some tv's with sports and also they serve food as well.. They also have rooms for rent.. and is not actually per definiton a "house of ill repute". But it is mainly frequented by local women seeking short-term company and tourists that are looking for the same thing.

#4 Posted: 21/10/2008 - 22:28

• seaeagle

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2008

Righteo

thanks a lot for the reply!! Yeah a couple of my mates went to the walkabout and they said pretty much what you did, will continue the research

#5 Posted: 22/10/2008 - 00:24

• neogary

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2005

I think No.9 Guesthouse by the lakeside or the guesthouses around the lovely area is nice. didnt stay here though, just chanced upon the place and had a couple of beers, sunset from the porch was great,i'd drink more if not for the fact that i goto walk a long way back to where i stay ( near independence monument )

#6 Posted: 22/10/2008 - 01:02

• mrparanoid

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2008

I was there drinking one night, playing some pool.. and I agree that it is especially nice at sunset on the porch with a cold beer.
    I didn't see the rooms but by the people living there it couldn't have been too bad. Nice staff. Ok food. But it isn't a very Cambodian experience I think. Nothing but westerners and a couple of africans sitting around reading lonely planet openly smoking ganja.. sharing 1 beer. If you want a taste of Phnom Penh you would be better off living in a different area I think.

#7 Posted: 22/10/2008 - 18:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
lone female traveller -help! ... By mads535 on 17 Dec 2009 2 3504 21 Dec 2009
Backpacker Accomodation in Phnom Penh ... By Playground on 25 Sep 2008 3 3209 22 Oct 2008
Choice of accomodation in Phnom Penh ... By eklecticist on 11 Jul 2006 3 2416 12 Jul 2006
Accommodation for lone traveller in bangkok ... By HannahHarris on 28 Apr 2011 15 2433 1 May 2011
Lone female traveller - Dont know where to start! ... By charliescott86 on 23 Jul 2008 3 3597 5 Sep 2008
First time Lone Female mature traveller needs reassurance ... By julesloz on 7 Nov 2012 5 2041 8 Nov 2012
Accomodation in Phnom Penh near the place where the boat for Siem Reap leaves??? ... By sprengja on 21 Nov 2007 2 2344 25 Nov 2007
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 438 2 Mar 2014