Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Sihanoukville Beaches

• benh

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2008

What are they like? I have read varied reports ranging from beautiful to disgusting.

I am planning to stay for 4 days in February.

#1 Posted: 15/10/2008 - 19:51

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Have you had a look at our newly updated Sihanoukville coverage? If not, perhaps take a brush through there. Overall the beaches are not a scratch on Thailand's beaches, but they're not all that shabby I guess -- just don't expect picture-postcard beauty -- on the mainland beaches at least.

#2 Posted: 16/10/2008 - 10:41

• jimsparadise

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2006

They are disgustingly beautiful....how's that. Ochheuteal Beach is quite long and provides a scene worth experiencing. Sand is okay--not perfect puffy white sand, but decent. Trash is a problem--some days it seems quite nice and next day the tides carry in piles of trash. Islands are very nice for day visit or overnighter. Feb. is perfect time of year and only 4 days, I think you'll enjoy the beaches--I spent 3 weeks there just chillin' Enjoy....

#3 Posted: 16/10/2008 - 19:26

• Ruthyp

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2008

Otres beach is beautiful and not as busy as Serendipity/Ochheuteal, which was a blessing during the 3 day water festival, and much less rubbish. It is however the wrong end of Ochheuteal for easy access from the back packer area of town. We did see some bars on Ochheutal picking litter up from outside their stretch which goes some way to helping. The islands are fantastic and worth a day trip at the very least. If I had the time I would have stayed on Bamboo Island. Apparently it's around $5 a night for a hut and boats go back and forth each day so there's no trouble getting back to Sihanoukville.

#4 Posted: 5/12/2008 - 02:11

• biene

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2008

We also heart that Sihanoukville is not the ideal place for going to the beach...but it is defentily worth to do it!!! OTRES BEACH is really great as there are just a handful of tourists, no rubbish, friendly people, no electricity (only generators for the nighttime)...we enjoyed it really much! We first thougt just to spend 3 days, but actually we stayed there for 8 days and we would liked to stay even longer! Enjoy your time and watch the beautiful sunsets!

#5 Posted: 6/12/2008 - 14:29

• jompapunk

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2009

I guess it's a matter of taste, but to me Sihanoukville is the last place I would go for a quality beach holiday. It's dirty, crowded and busy.

#6 Posted: 18/1/2009 - 08:49

• jamesspigne-
    si

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2008
    Total reviews: 25

I AGREE THE PLACE IS AN OVER RATED DUMP,WITH ALOT OF THE SAME TYPES OF TOURISTS I TRY TO AVOID IN THAILAND. AKA. SEX TOURISTS AND WHAT WE WOULD CALL EURO-TRASH. THERE ARE FAR BETTER BEACHES IN THAILAND IF YOU KNOW WHERE TO LOOK.

#7 Posted: 12/2/2009 - 19:07

• onceuponthe

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2009
    Location France

otres beach is nothing but crowded it s a nice beach the sunset in ochteal are a;awing but it s true there s a lot of peoplem the best is to rent a moto and go to otres to be quiet,
    but it s nice to have diner on ochteal beach or serendipity,
    i stayed for 8 dollars in susday guesthouse on the beach, but i did nt like the overcrowded place on serendipity beach, i tried victory beach
    but it s so dirty, victory hill is cheaper but it s for old man looking for young lady.
    i stayed in koh pang ghan in thai and i zould rather be on ochteal than over there,

#8 Posted: 28/2/2009 - 04:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
sihanoukville beaches compared to thai beaches? ... By kacperek on 4 Feb 2007 1 2053 5 Feb 2007
Sihanoukville Beaches ... By longleat on 23 Oct 2006 15 6249 16 Apr 2012
Sihanoukville beaches ... By CJ79 on 9 Aug 2008 1 2592 9 Aug 2008