Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

What is siem reap like for new year?

Posted by mrkarlholland on 5/11/2008 at 21:40

Hey im trying to decide on where would be best to spend my new year.

I was thinking of staying in bangkok but thought i would ask your opinions on siem reap for new year. I will be heading there in jan if i do stay in bangkok.

any advice on places to go for new would be welcome
thanks

#1 mrkarlholland has been a member since 17/1/2008. Posts: 9

Posted by mmakdad on 9/11/2008 at 10:01

We were at Siem Reap two years ago for the new year (2006-07). We went by land from Aranyaprathet, arriving around 10pm on the evening of Dec. 29 or Dec. 30. The minibus operator took us directly to a hotel on the western outskirts of the town, saying that all the other hotels in Siem Reap were already booked. Sensing a scam, we said "no thanks" and decided to walk with our baggage toward town down Route 6 where there are many backpaper hostels etc. To our surprise, we found out that the minibus operators had been telling the truth - everything was already booked for that night, forcing us into a 3-hour search of every single hotel for a room. We finally found one, but anyway two years ago new years was tight for rooms in Siem Reap .

After that we had an absolutely wonderful time for three days at Angkor, including a fun party into the wee hours on New Years on "Bar Street" where there were about 300 foreigners listening to music, drinking $2 beers and watching homemade fireworks.... I would recommend Siem Reap for New Years, but if you arrive at night take the first accomodations you get.

#2 mmakdad has been a member since 9/11/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by mrkarlholland on 12/11/2008 at 18:45

thanks for the advice i presume you could book in advance though?

#3 mrkarlholland has been a member since 17/1/2008. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.