Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

What is siem reap like for new year?

• mrkarlholla-
    nd

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2008

Hey im trying to decide on where would be best to spend my new year.

I was thinking of staying in bangkok but thought i would ask your opinions on siem reap for new year. I will be heading there in jan if i do stay in bangkok.

any advice on places to go for new would be welcome
    thanks

#1 Posted: 5/11/2008 - 21:40

• Advertisement

• mmakdad

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2008

We were at Siem Reap two years ago for the new year (2006-07). We went by land from Aranyaprathet, arriving around 10pm on the evening of Dec. 29 or Dec. 30. The minibus operator took us directly to a hotel on the western outskirts of the town, saying that all the other hotels in Siem Reap were already booked. Sensing a scam, we said "no thanks" and decided to walk with our baggage toward town down Route 6 where there are many backpaper hostels etc. To our surprise, we found out that the minibus operators had been telling the truth - everything was already booked for that night, forcing us into a 3-hour search of every single hotel for a room. We finally found one, but anyway two years ago new years was tight for rooms in Siem Reap .

After that we had an absolutely wonderful time for three days at Angkor, including a fun party into the wee hours on New Years on "Bar Street" where there were about 300 foreigners listening to music, drinking $2 beers and watching homemade fireworks.... I would recommend Siem Reap for New Years, but if you arrive at night take the first accomodations you get.

#2 Posted: 9/11/2008 - 10:01

• mrkarlholla-
    nd

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2008

thanks for the advice i presume you could book in advance though?

#3 Posted: 12/11/2008 - 18:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Siem Reap accom availablity between Christmas and New Year ... By marianwarren on 22 Dec 2006 2 1569 23 Dec 2006