Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Take Your Time

• Ruthyp

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2008

I'd just like to say to anyone considering a whistle stop tour of cambodia or dropping in to Cambodia quickly from Thailand or Vietnam - don't do it.
    Take your time and really get to know the Cambodia and it's people.
    I recently came out to Cambodia for only two weeks, primarily to visit a friend who's a volunteer in Cambodia but also to see the amazing sights or Angkor. I should have taken at least three weeks - minimum.
    From arriving in PP we left for Sihanoukville for two nights, then on the Kampot for three nights including one night up Bokor. Returning to PP for two nights swiftly followed by three nights in Siem Reap and back to PP for our last night to get our flight the next morning.
    It was exhausting and we really should have taken more time in each place. I feel like I want to go back just to give the place the attention it deserves, that and to take the long journey north to visit Ratanakiri the area my friend works in and 'off the beaten track'.
    We were very fortunate that my friend speaks basic Khmer and so Cambodians were curious and wanted to talk to us too, so we got some insight into their lives. Otherwise out longest conversations would have been with our tuk tuk drivers! Saying please and thank you in Khmer goes a long way too.

Enjoy it though.

#1 Posted: 5/12/2008 - 02:48

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for the report Ruthyp -- good advice allround.

#2 Posted: 5/12/2008 - 07:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.