Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Cambodia - 2 weeks only :(

• joble81

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2008

Hey all,

first post on travelfish, i usually use tripadvisor and have been recommended...so you've got a lot of responsibility on your shoulders ;)

Ok, so, my hubby and I are heading off to laos in a week - xmas night - and have nothing planned. This is fine...well apart from the fact that we have not got our flights from KL to vientianne yet...hmm! the only thing I am worried about is because 30 days is such a short time for laos and cambodia, I am worried that we should at least plot a route and how we are to get about (without in depth planning) so we dont run out of time.

I've kind of got laos worked out, and we will be doing the border crossing into cambodia, and I would love to know if anyone can give me a great 2 week itinerary, flying back to KL from Siem Reap. The good thing is that we already did SR last november when we had a spare 4 days before we met a friend in vietnam, so we only want to spend a day there looking at a few wats way up the top of angkor, and then a half a day for around town before flying to KL, so this frees up an extra 1.5 - 2 days that is usually needed extra for that area.

I'm taking the cheats way out by having absolutely no research up my sleeve yet, but would love to see someone's suggestions which would help me. We'd like to get down to sihanoukville in this trip as well.

thanks in advance...hopefully :)

Oh and does anyone have any links to transport sites for getting around cambodia?

thanks!
    Jo :)

#1 Posted: 18/12/2008 - 21:20

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Jo,

Welcome to Travelfish ;-)

So you're looking at two weeks in Cambodia, starting at the Laos crossing and finishing in Siem Reap right?

Something like (you'll get loads more info on each destination through the links below):
    1) cross border transit to Kratie , see dolphins in afternoon, overnight.
    2) share taxi to Kompong Cham , visit nearby sites that afternoon, overnight.
    3) morning boat trip to Wat Maha Leap then afternoon bus to Phnom Penh
    4,5,6) Phnom Penh
    7) bus/share taxi to Kampot overnight there. Buy pepper.
    8) share taxi to Kep . eat crab. hang out.
    9) day trip out to Ko Tonsay (Rabbit Island). overnight in Kep .
    10,11,12) share taxi to Sihanoukville , hang out, visit offshore islands, national park etc.
    13) bus to Phnom Penh
    14) bus to Battambang , overnight, see bamboo train, outlying temples etc.
    15) Siem Reap - flight back to KL.

That's off the top of my head, there's some more sample Cambodia trips in the suggested itinerary section

Hope that helps - more questions, ask away!

#2 Posted: 19/12/2008 - 07:20

• joble81

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2008

thanks somtam for your response. I haven't been able to get onto my internet until today. and so now I'm beginning to panic a little. I usually take my travelling as it comes, but we've no idea how long it takes to travel between places in laos or cambodia and have no idea what we are really doing :( Your post is great, and I'm printing as I type so i can do my research.

Being xmas we've got little time to sit and really look into the nuts and bolts of everything. we're happy to do this on the plane...the issue is this. At the moment we're trying to book our air asia flights from KL to Laos. We have to fly into vientianne. we opted to not do the slow boat cruise as it wasnt permitted with timing...however...we are now feeling like we are chewing up too much time travelling elsewhere.

we perhaps thought we could fly to vietianne, spend a day, then get the VIP bus on sunday to phonsaven. spend a day there, and bus it to luang prabang - no idea what time we have to travel or how long it takes or anything. Then work our way back to vientianne after three days in LP. Is this wise to do it? we feel we are so underprepared and are wasting so much time. So i guess our focus is now on laos...which we thought we had a rough idea...boy are we wrong now as flights dont match up for us.

stressed jo :(

#3 Posted: 23/12/2008 - 13:49

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Jo,

Well if you're stressed a few weeks in Laos will be the perfect remedy ;-)

Bus trip times from Vientiane to Phonsavan and on to Luang Prabang are around 8-10 hours apiece. Lao Airlines fly both VTE to Phonsavan and on to Luang Prabang (though the latter not every day) - given your time restraints I'd look into flying both legs if possible.

Also, if you're looking at other regional flights, look into the Discovery Airpass.

Hope that helps!

#4 Posted: 24/12/2008 - 09:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.