Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

From Pursat to Central Cardamoms Protected Forest (CCPF)

• orionarrow

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2008

Hi there,

May I know if anyone has ever visited/expored the CCPF area before? I understand that it is relatively close to Pursat.

I read that there is a guesthouse at Thma Bang and you can stay there overnight and probably arrange for a guide and stay at the ranger station?

If yes, I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 9/1/2009 - 22:34

• Advertisement

• orionarrow

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2008

Hi all,

In case anyone is interested, I met up with Ouk Kimsan in Phnom Penh. He works for the Forestry Adminstration together with Conservation International. His contact is ccp.kimsan@everyday.com.kh or 855 12 256 777. Calling him is better since he does not always have email access.

From Pursat, I went to O Som. Stayed at the guesthouse there for 3 nights. Visited the waterfall at O Som and then onto Veal Veng.

The whole place is very laid back but it's rather rural so prepare yourself if you're expecting modern amenities.

The ranger cost me about 100,000 riel or USD25. The taxi cost about USD12.50 one way. The guesthouse plus food cost me USD17 for 4 days/3 nights.

The ranger speaks little English but he was friendly and tried his best. Apparently he speaks Russian better.

Have fun!

#2 Posted: 15/2/2009 - 13:19

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi orionarrow,

Thanks for the report back -- much appreciated. Would you say the trip is worth it? Aside from the waterfall at O Som, once you're at Veal Veng what kind of "activities" could one look to organise up there?

#3 Posted: 16/2/2009 - 11:32

• orionarrow

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2008

Hi somtam2000,

The trip was more of an experience than anything. There are lots of flora and fauna around that area which may interest people. At Veal Veng, there is also the crocodile sanctuary.

I would say my trip is something that I would not do back home. Visitors to the area must be prepared that it is a rather rural place & it would take several years before it is more touristy and developed. When I was there, there were some Chinese people who were there to build the dam as well as the telephone cable connection. O Som does not have any telephone reception.

There is apparently another route in the Central Cardamons instead of heading to O Som. I guess Ouk Kimsan would be able to shed more light on this. He speaks good English.

Hope this is of help.

Cheers!

#4 Posted: 16/2/2009 - 21:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.