Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

How to travel SE Asia

• KRStamm

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2007

I Am going to SE Asia for 2 months (nov and dec 2009) I have already Traveled southern Thailand. How do I go about traveling Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam with out too much back tracking. My 1st thought was to fly in to BKK then to Laos or Cambodia. Please let me know what you did and how in the world to go about it.

Thanks
    Kirstin

#1 Posted: 24/1/2009 - 00:19

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi kirstin,

i'm planning to be in the region during that same timeframe for about the same amount of time, but plan to do mostly off-the-beaten-track thailand and southern laos.

in your case, have you checked out the suggested itineraries on the website? go to the top of this webpage, and look for the Before you leave section in the middle of the page near the top. if you scroll down within that window, near the very bottom you'll find a listing for Itineraries: Region Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam , among others. that should be a great place to get you started. regards.

#2 Posted: 24/1/2009 - 01:22

• KRStamm

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2007

I have looked at the sites have a bunch of books but can not seem to find a practical route through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Off the beaten track in Thailand is still easy to get to via public transportation. Thailand may have been the easiest country I have traveled due to the rediclious amounts of tourists. Even in the "remote, most out of the way parts" of Thailand there were handfuls of tourists. Thanks for the tip for the before you leave section I am headed there now.

Kirstin

#3 Posted: 24/1/2009 - 09:46

• fivesilver

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2008
    Total reviews: 7

Hi Kirstin

We're doing that trip but taking closer to 4 months. Just as an example outline, we're looking at Bangkok -> northern Thailand -> enter Laos at Huay Xai -> Head to Vientiane via Luang Phrabang -> Hanoi -> Length of Vietnam to HCM -> Enter Cambodia via Chau Doc -> Phnom Penh, Angkor, Battambang -> Back into Thailand at Hat Lek -> Bangkok and on to Mumbai ^__^

#4 Posted: 25/1/2009 - 23:35

• KRStamm

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2007

That sounds like a blast! I am planning to head to Thailand before my man to work in a hospital that some friends run. Then a week in her families village. Meet Derek in BKK and fly to Hanoi. Check out N. Vietnam catch a train to the South and spend a bit at the Delta then to a few islands. Enter Cambodia. Off to Phenom to get my Laos visa and then to Angkor. Spend a few weeks making our way through Cambodia to Laos and see where life takes us. End in N. Laos and back to BKK to friends house for a few days of shopping bf heading home for Christmas.

#5 Posted: 16/4/2009 - 00:39

• Stigron

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2009
    Location Australia

Hi Kirstin,

We just got back a few days ago from our 4th Asian trip. We have learnt not to book or plan anything. This year we ended up going the opposite way to what we thought we would do and went to places we weren't going to go to!!.

It Asia!! You ask for rice and yout noodles!!.LOL... That's why we love it so much.

Get off the beaten track and enjoy the rural towns and villages. If you've done southern Thailand then you'll know..Enjoy

Me I'd do a loop. BKK-SR then bus boat to Laos then Nth VietNam down to the south then back up the Mekong to PP and SR.

#6 Posted: 2/5/2009 - 14:43

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

KRStamm

I'm with Stigron - just be laid back about it (plan, itinerary, that is). So, while having a sort of basic idea of a plan, just follow your feelings / imagination.

I'm not sure why you need a visa for Laos in PP. Generally one can just rock up to the border and get one.

Is there a reason for the train between Hanoi & Saigon?

The reason I ask is that it takes a long time, you get sort of holed up in a sleeper, life just goes flashing by, and the airfares on special can be a bit cheaper.

But, if you want to do it for another reason...

Cheers

#7 Posted: 2/5/2009 - 18:37

• KRStamm

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2007

Thanks for the help. I think the tentative plan is to get to BKK fly to Hanoi and take the train down Vietnam. Hoping off where ever for detours and eventually getting to Siagon. Then to Cambodia and up to Laos. My only question that I cant seem to get answered is the Visa issue. I looked it up and you CAN NOT get a visa at the boarder going from Cambodia to Laos. You can going in the opposite direction but not from Cambodia and entering Laos. You can get a Laos visa in Phenom Pen, but I am not sure where. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Also since we are pretty much going on the "no plan plan" we do need to account for visas expiration and those kinds of major things. I am sure it will all change upon arrival but hopefully I can get the visa thing out of the way.

Thank as always
    Kirstin

#8 Posted: 2/5/2009 - 22:26

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Kirstin

One is always learning something new. I looked up Travelfish re: visa at border crossing from Cambodia to Laos, and I learnt that there is no 'visa on arrival' there. I didn't know that.

I checked for the Laos embassy in Phnom Penh, and found this website with a google map showing the location:

http://www.yellowpages-cambodia.com/community/embassies-consulates-diplomatic-missions/embassy-of-laos-347.html

You may like to keep the web address in an email on your email link so that if the location of the embassy moves, you can do a quick check (again). Assuming, of course, that yellow pages does an update.

- - - -

Also, as an idea...

Dalat 'Easy Riders' is a fascinating way of seeing VN countryside from a quite different 'angle'. I've not met anyone that hasn't raved about their trip.

I also encountered some foreigners around Dalat who were using them for their 'scenics' around the area. The 'easy riders' appeared very helpful and courteous, and asked me to tag along when I was on my moto.

I was nearly going to book to have them pick me up at Hue or Hoi An, and then take me through to Dalat. I didn't because I did part of the trip myself on a moto.

You may care to check them out (just google 'dalat easy riders').

cheers

#9 Posted: 3/5/2009 - 05:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.