Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Siem Reap - Any recomendations ?

• charlotte12-

Joined Travelfish
    11th February, 2009

Hey,

Heading to Siem Reap in March, does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap hotel or guesthouse in siem reap, pref with a pool?

How easy is it to get a tour to angkor wat?

Thanks - Charlotte :)

#1 Posted: 11/2/2009 - 13:43

• Advertisement

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

Charlotte, why don't you have a look at the Siam Reap accomodation part of this site to start with -- there are many hotels/guesthouses with very good ratings in SR. Also, there is an old thread (check backwards up to about new years) about tuk-tuks and guides to Angkor Wat, combined with the main travelfish section on SR/Angkok, that should answer most of your questions and even give you a few names of guides/drivers should you want to employ a specific one.

#2 Posted: 11/2/2009 - 15:41

• ckim

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2007

I recently went to Siem Reap and stayed at Kazna hotel (www.kaznahotel.com). The hotel has just opened, so everything is very new. The room rate is $27 include breakfast. It's centrally located (5 minutes walk to Central market and 10 minutes to Old Market/Pub Street). The owner of this hotel can also arrange tour for you. Have a look at it

#3 Posted: 11/2/2009 - 16:41

• Bodhisattva

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2009
    Location Germany

hi charlotte1208,

i am staying in Siem Reap right now. Depending on the money you would like to spend i can recommend two guesthouses. One is the Garden Village in the Sivatha Street area. Prices start with 1$ in the dorm, 3$ for a single fan room with shared bathroom, and 6$ with a private bathroom. If you can stand a bunch of mosquitos it's a great place with friendly staff and a lot of backpackers. Because of the mosquitos I moved to Happy Guesthouse in the Wat Bo area. 5$ for a single fan with bathroom and european cleanliness standards!
    Unfortunately both don't have a pool, but I heard you can use the pools of bigger hotels for small fee.

Good luck, and enjoy your stay in Cambodia.

#4 Posted: 20/2/2009 - 12:57

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

Charlotte, I just spent 5 days in Siem Reap (4 visiting the temples and one just chillin') and I can whole-heartedly recommend Mandalay Inn, if that's in your budget. $18 for a double/twin with air con or $10 for double/twin with just fan. The rooms are small and basic but very very clean and the staff are very friendly and extremely helpful. They can arrange for a tuk tuk driver, a car, a guide, whatever you want (or don't want) all at very reasonable rates, with no haggling. Our driver, Mr. Eang, was fabulous and such a nice guy. No pool, no fancy garden, but a decent restaurant and a little lounge area inside the hotel. If you're going to spend all day at the temples and just need a place to crash at night, its a good deal.

#5 Posted: 20/2/2009 - 20:03

• bar002

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2009

Hello Charlotte,
    I was in Siem Reap in November last year, i lodged at European Guesthouse "www.europeanguesthouse-siemreap.com", room with breakfast,shower and fun/AC at 8 USD per night, managed by a Svedish guy in a friendly environment. I reccomend it. There is also a good guy named Adam who can take you around for the temples. Is is at walking distance from the old market and the bike rent was for free.
    Enjoy Cambodia!!,
    Bruno from Italy

#6 Posted: 20/2/2009 - 21:06

• silverwool

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2007

I stay at the Ancient Angkor Guest house whenever I'm in Siem Reap (My daughter lives there ) It is about $15US a night, staff are friendly, and it does have a pool. Its close to bar street and is in the street behind Artisans d'Angkor. The only down side is that you have to walk past a few working girls to get there at night. They won't hassle you though!

Its easy to get to the temples. Loads of tuk tuks and guides about. Remember that Angkor Wat is only one of the many temples in the vicinity. There are a lot worth visiting.

Enjoy your trip!

#7 Posted: 22/2/2009 - 12:57

• debs23

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2009

I can recommend Bou Savy good location for temples near the royal palace and on the NH6, fan room clean spacious with TV - $6 nice wee garden and quiet at night free water and breakfast included. Takes 10 mins to walk into the centre
    Have fun and haggle with those Tuk Tuk drivers. I did the big temple circuit on a bicycle which was great fun would really recommend it.

#8 Posted: 1/3/2009 - 04:25

• ozjohn

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2011

I agree with debs23, we stayed at Bou Savy guest house which was fantastic. The prices now start from $7 including breakfast, although we paid $12 to get air conditioning.
    The room was comfortable, the staff were lovely and the location was convenient. They have a website which is: http://www.bousavyguesthouse.com

#9 Posted: 12/4/2011 - 20:08

• slapbreeya

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2011
    Location Thailand

I stayed in a cool GH called Whats up (British owner) with no pool for $8 a night.

A Tuk-tuk tour will cost around $10-$15 dollars for one day. But i recommend if you only wanna go for one day then get your ticket the night before after 5pm. Go to the temple thats on a hill for sunset and then the tickets still valid for the next day.

All in all me and two other people paid $20 between us all for the evening and full day.

Safe travels :)

#10 Posted: 22/4/2011 - 15:50

• Advertisement

• ocohen

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2010

We stayed at River Village Manor last november, and loved it. (See the reviews on tripadvisor). They assign a tuk-tuk driver for you for your stay -- see if you can get Mr Than. He's also been trained as a tour guide. And he has a really good set of insights into Cambodian history.

#11 Posted: 24/4/2011 - 20:10

• Vero123

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2011

What is the best way to visit the temples in mid-July?
    We have 3 days in SR - and we think to spend all the time visiting temples. Is it better to take a tuk-tuk or a taxi?
    I'm afraid that if it will be hot - it will be very difficult to bike or walk on our own.

Do you think that 3 days it's to much to visit temples?
    And one more question, is there is a possibility to eat something on the territory of temples? Or we shoulld go out to find some place to eat?

#12 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 00:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.