Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Siem Reap Neighborhoods

Posted by dmandel on 26/2/2009 at 06:26

I'm going to Siem Reap for the first time in early April and I am wondering what part of town to stay in. I've read the reviews of guest houses here and in several travel books, and it seems like there are various neighborhoods to stay in.

If I am looking for an area that is pleasant and quiet but not too far out of the way, what would you recommend? I am in the $20 - $25 USD guesthouse range.

Thanks.

#1 dmandel has been a member since 25/2/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/2/2009 at 18:19 admin

Hi dmandel,

I'm assuming you've already looked at the Siem Reap section of Travelfish.

My personal favourite is Two Dragons -- primarily because I've known the owner for quite a while and he is an absolute fountain of knowledge on the area. So if you're after good info, it is difficult to beat. That said, you will find better value rooms at some of the newer places in Siem Reap -- if you're only looking at the room.

Siem Reap is a small place, and as long as you're not out on the airport road, pretty much everything is within walking distance.

Other good spots include:
Mandalay Inn -- stellar backpacker value
Rosy Guesthouse -- backpacker/flashpacker -- good location and vibe
Villa Siem Reap -- I had a bit of a mixed experience there, but they get great reviews from others, and they're very well geared up tour wise.

Hope that helps

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by dmandel on 27/2/2009 at 07:12

Hi Somtam2000,

Thanks for the information, but, I was actually asking something different. I have been considering most of the places you mentioned, but I really want to know what area of town would be best to stay in. I have heard different things about Siem Reap and I guess I wanted to be someplace not too noisy and crazy but also not too out of the way.

So in relation to the market or the river or Angkor Wat or whatever, what part of town would you recommend?

Thanks.

#3 dmandel has been a member since 25/2/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/3/2009 at 12:17 admin

The Wat Bo area -- close enough to the Bar Street area, but quiet.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by mrparanoid on 5/3/2009 at 15:50

It is not exactly Hong Kong or Tokyo.. It's a quite small place. Anywhere near..not in, but near the bar street area will be fine.

#5 mrparanoid has been a member since 2/6/2008. Posts: 35

Posted by dmandel on 6/3/2009 at 03:45

Thanks somtam2000 and mrparanoid.

#6 dmandel has been a member since 25/2/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by deba on 30/4/2009 at 22:56

Yes, 2 Dragon is a very sorted place to stay..... be it the tranquil area, well thought out guest house, visa and road trip arrangements...... it's like a one-stop shop where they spoil you....

#7 deba has been a member since 8/2/2009. Posts: 3
 Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.