Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Siem Reap Neighborhoods

• dmandel

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2009

I'm going to Siem Reap for the first time in early April and I am wondering what part of town to stay in. I've read the reviews of guest houses here and in several travel books, and it seems like there are various neighborhoods to stay in.

If I am looking for an area that is pleasant and quiet but not too far out of the way, what would you recommend? I am in the $20 - $25 USD guesthouse range.

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 26/2/2009 - 06:26

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi dmandel,

I'm assuming you've already looked at the Siem Reap section of Travelfish.

My personal favourite is Two Dragons -- primarily because I've known the owner for quite a while and he is an absolute fountain of knowledge on the area. So if you're after good info, it is difficult to beat. That said, you will find better value rooms at some of the newer places in Siem Reap -- if you're only looking at the room.

Siem Reap is a small place, and as long as you're not out on the airport road, pretty much everything is within walking distance.

Other good spots include:
    Mandalay Inn -- stellar backpacker value
    Rosy Guesthouse -- backpacker/flashpacker -- good location and vibe
    Villa Siem Reap -- I had a bit of a mixed experience there, but they get great reviews from others, and they're very well geared up tour wise.

Hope that helps

#2 Posted: 26/2/2009 - 18:19

• dmandel

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2009

Hi Somtam2000,

Thanks for the information, but, I was actually asking something different. I have been considering most of the places you mentioned, but I really want to know what area of town would be best to stay in. I have heard different things about Siem Reap and I guess I wanted to be someplace not too noisy and crazy but also not too out of the way.

So in relation to the market or the river or Angkor Wat or whatever, what part of town would you recommend?

Thanks.

#3 Posted: 27/2/2009 - 07:12

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The Wat Bo area -- close enough to the Bar Street area, but quiet.

#4 Posted: 5/3/2009 - 12:17

• mrparanoid

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2008

It is not exactly Hong Kong or Tokyo.. It's a quite small place. Anywhere near..not in, but near the bar street area will be fine.

#5 Posted: 5/3/2009 - 15:50

• dmandel

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2009

Thanks somtam2000 and mrparanoid.

#6 Posted: 6/3/2009 - 03:45

• deba

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009

Yes, 2 Dragon is a very sorted place to stay..... be it the tranquil area, well thought out guest house, visa and road trip arrangements...... it's like a one-stop shop where they spoil you....

#7 Posted: 30/4/2009 - 22:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.