Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Where to stay in Phnom Penh

• mossjudith

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2009

Any suggestions on a inexpensive, safe, clean place to stay in Phnom Penh for 2 "older" Americans?

#1 Posted: 11/3/2009 - 07:29

• Advertisement

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

Posted from within Vietnam.

I stayed in Phnom Penh for a few days in February. I stayed at the Paragon Hotel. It was fine, but make sure you ask for a room with a window. There's a common balcony over the river that really makes the place, otherwise it's nothing special. About $23 USD for a window room.

Fancy Guesthouse is a few blocks back from the river and gets rave reviews on Tripadvisor.com; it's a few dollars cheaper.

We also checked out Cozyna and Indochine 2 hotels, in roughly the same price range because Paragon had no water when we were staying there. They seemed okay (and get good reviews on TripAdvisor) but neither had room. Fancy was also booked up. So wherever you choose, I'd consider trying to make reservations via email a few days in advance and reconfirming (by either email or phone) the night before.

Check out tripadvisor.com for more info on each of these options. Hostelbookers.com may also have listings for some of these, which makes reservations easy breezy.

#2 Posted: 11/3/2009 - 12:12

• mrparanoid

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2008

I like Indochina 2. It's a nice clean hotel, practically located for tourists. Close to the riverside but not in the middle of it.. and it's not in the middle of a bar street either, but has several bars within walking distance. Not close enough to hear the music at night but close enough to walk to. It has many good restaurants within walking distance including the Sher-E Punjab restaurant right next door with very good Indian food at reasonable prices. There is also an ATM about a hundred metres away. Open 24 hours. (There's a British pub around the corner with an ATM inside the premises if you want to feel really safe when you whithdraw your cash.)
    The hotel also arranges all kinds of sightseeing trips and transport. The rooms are from $15-$35 I think.. Mine was $20.

#3 Posted: 12/3/2009 - 14:29

• phantomrose-

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2008

We stayed at the Riverside Hotel which is right on the river and it was very good. About $25.00 per night. They then organised our transport and further accommodation with a pool in Siem Reap for a very reasonable sum but I did find out later that another couple got a much better deal than us, so barter hard.

#4 Posted: 14/3/2009 - 12:28

• daviest

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2009

We are just home in Australia and stayed at Bright Lotus 1 guest house directly opposite the National Museum (so well located to visit the Royal Palace etc)we paid US$18 for a double room with attached bathroom and A/C and it's far enough away from the night clubs that you'll get a good nights sleep, even though the staff could smile a little more !!

#5 Posted: 14/3/2009 - 14:31

• daviest

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2009

We are just home in Australia and stayed at Bright Lotus 1 guest house directly opposite the National Museum (so well located to visit the Royal Palace etc)we paid US$18 for a double room with attached bathroom and A/C and it's far enough away from the night clubs that you'll get a good nights sleep, even though the staff could smile a little more !!

#6 Posted: 14/3/2009 - 14:31

• mossjudith

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2009

Thanks for the insight, we ended up at Royal HIghness, not elegant but cleaan enough for 2 nights at$15.

#7 Posted: 14/3/2009 - 19:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 959 2 Mar 2014