Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

angkor watt from thailand

• halongbay07

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2009

hi, im planning a 3 week trip around thailand in september and would really like to take time out to visit angkor watt. does anyone know the best way to do this from thailand and how much time i would need for travelling etc.

thanks!

Ben.

#1 Posted: 17/3/2009 - 23:33

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

See
    http://www.travelfish.org/feature/71
    You can get to Siem Reap in one day.

#2 Posted: 18/3/2009 - 07:42

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

I got a taxi from BKK to the border (at Poipet) for $50 and then another from Poipet to Siem Reap for $30. The taxi was not shared. Took 4 hours to the border and then 2 hrs to Siem Reap.
    Be warned, read up on the border crossing, although the roads are now "good" it is not for the faint hearted - the border guards and locals will do everything in their power to fleece you. Also, Poipet is without a doubt the toilet of SE Asia. It's a horrible place and i couldn't wait to leave! And make sure you get a metered taxi from a reputable company, your hotel could organise this for you.
    I'd also advise getting there during daylight hours. You'll be met or dropped off close to local tuk tuk drivers who want your business to serve you as a guide for a couple of days. This is no bad thing as some of them are very nice guys and very helpful, then again there are a few bad apples who will offer to recommend hotels and then take a nice kickback.

#3 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 23:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.