Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Siem Reap - current prices for good guide and driver

Posted by basejump on 20/3/2009 at 16:54

hi

can we have some post about current prices for good english speaking guides and air con car

is $25 per day reasonable for the guide.

for the car, we have been quoted $45 for Kbal Spean, Banteay Srei & Taprom. and $30 for Angkor

#1 basejump has been a member since 14/11/2008. Posts: 30

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/3/2009 at 08:30 admin

Those rates do not sound unreasonable to me -- assuming the guide is English-speaking.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,500
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by basejump on 21/3/2009 at 12:32

thanks for the reply; i should add that the car is available to us until 9 pm

#3 basejump has been a member since 14/11/2008. Posts: 30

Posted by elocin on 29/3/2009 at 11:14

Hello basejump,

I went to Cambodia in 2008 April/May, I had a FLUENT English guide that was extremely knowledgable about Cambodian history and culture. We had a air-con van that could carry I think 7 or 8 people. The driver didn't speak English but was very happy and smiley! We were provided with icy cold water in 40 degree (celcius) days and had the driver until 10pm. They had a itinerary but we can change at any time and they took us wherever we wanted to go.

The price per day included accomodation in a 4 and a half star hotel and 3 meals a day. Some of the lunches were banquet or buffets and although they were a little 'westernised' they were fresh and yummy. We also asked the guide to take us to his favourite restaurant and we ate SO much food with the guide and the driver (enough for 8 people) for only US$20.

Now you're probably wondering how much it all costs?

US$50 per person, per day.

I don't know if I got ripped off but I think it was a fantastic deal. Especially because we got on so well with the guide and he was so helpful, informative and just an all round nice person. He haggled for us when we went to the markets too. Maybe he got commission out of it, I don't know, but nonetheless, I was very happy with the service.

You can email me if you would like to know more, os.elocin@gmail.com

If not, have fun and take care! :)

#4 elocin has been a member since 29/3/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 4

Posted by TheGoose on 8/4/2009 at 16:48

Just get yourself a tuk-tuk for $15 a day, much more fun!

#5 TheGoose has been a member since 30/1/2009. Posts: 29

Posted by siemreaprooms on 24/4/2009 at 13:01

OP,

Yes, those prices are very fair.

#6 siemreaprooms has been a member since 21/4/2009. Posts: 5
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.