Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Travel from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

• Bobobrighton

Joined Travelfish
    4th April, 2009

Hi,

Can anyone recommend me the best way to travel from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. I have heard that the boat can be dangerous and not much fun, although this was original my preferred choice. Would anyone think bus or taxi would be a better option.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 4/4/2009 - 22:56

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

Well, there's plenty of buses, $6-12. Mekong Express is the more expensive but very comfortable choice, Sorya is among the cheapest. There's no particular reason to go by taxi. Some people really like the boat trip, others have felt there are better places for boating, in any case the bus is totally fine too.

#2 Posted: 5/4/2009 - 02:35

• TonyL

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2006

Lother is spot-on. Mekong Express bus is up to good European standard,toilet on board, you get snacks and water in the price, there is a short rest stop about half way to Siem Reap, their office is at the up river end of Sissowath Quay which is very handy for most hotels and guest houses, and the whole trip takes about 5 hours. If I recall correctly they have 2 buses per day. I would give the cheaper buses a miss unless you are really on a very tight budget- they can be cramped, much slower and without the extras.

#3 Posted: 5/4/2009 - 09:38

• dageshi

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2008

A word of caution on the boat, while I hadn't personally been on it, I think the water level can have a bearing on the length of the journey I presume we're in the dry season or very near it at the moment? I would ask around to see how long it will take.

Personally for a distance that long I would take the Bus, I am considering the Boat to Battambang though.

#4 Posted: 5/4/2009 - 13:27

• Bobobrighton

Joined Travelfish
    4th April, 2009

Thanks guys you've been really helpful

#5 Posted: 5/4/2009 - 20:17

• Stigron

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2009
    Location Australia

The boats are not running at the moment (as of last week) water level is too low so you are limited to bus or Taxi.

Look for an alternative to Mekong Express. Toilet didn't work and there was no "snacks or hostess" onn the buss. A kid spewed in the isle and they weren't keen to clean it up. Shop around.

But the trip is good. I'm glad I didn't fly.

#6 Posted: 2/5/2009 - 14:55

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Bobobrighton

Regarding buses, last year when there I looked around at the variety of possibilities as I had doubts about Cambodian bus maintenance.

I selected Mekong Express as the pick of an ordinary to worse bunch.

I'd like to know if there are better options.

cheers

#7 Posted: 2/5/2009 - 18:16

• smkuchta

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2007

We took Capitol Tours buses from PP to Battambang and BB to Siem Reap and had no problems. Buses weren't fancy but clean (relatively) and seemed to be in decent mechanical shape.

We looked at taking the boat to SR from BB but had heard horror stories about it taking up to 10 hours (and at 3x the cost of the bus). The bus got us to SR in just under 3 hours, road is paved the whole way from Sisophon to Siem Reap and our driver had a lead foot.

It was interesting to be the only non-locals on both buses.

#8 Posted: 5/5/2009 - 18:01

• kellyj525

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2009

I took a smaller boat from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap during the dry season in Feb 2005 and loved it. The boat leaves at 7:00ish and you can get some really amazing photos, especially early on as the sun is still rising. I sat on the top, listened to music and watched the countryside by. It was awesome. Once you get to the lake there isn't anything but water to see but still worth it. Not entirely comfortable but if you are looking for a little adventure in Cambodia I say do it! The only part of the trip that is a bit difficult is the end at the port in Siem Reap. Very sad and lots of craziness going on.... but, if you are anything like myself you'll take something away from having the experience.

I'm going back in October and can't wait to see what it will be like during the rainy season. I hear it is even more beautiful.

#9 Posted: 11/5/2009 - 01:01

• kellyj525

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2009

I took a smaller boat from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap during the dry season in Feb 2005 and loved it. The boat leaves at 7:00ish and you can get some really amazing photos, especially early on as the sun is still rising. I sat on the top, listened to music and watched the countryside by. It was awesome. Once you get to the lake there isn't anything but water to see but still worth it. Not entirely comfortable but if you are looking for a little adventure in Cambodia I say do it! The only part of the trip that is a bit difficult is the end at the port in Siem Reap. Very sad and lots of craziness going on.... but, if you are anything like myself you'll take something away from having the experience.

I'm going back in October and can't wait to see what it will be like during the rainy season. I hear it is even more beautiful.

#10 Posted: 11/5/2009 - 01:03

• Advertisement

• borisborough

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

We booked a coach for USD7 each at the travel shop right next to the King's Court Restaurant on Sisowath Quay (opposite the United Nations flag). We had a pick-up by tuk-tuk to the bus office and an air-con bus with toilet to Siem Reap. It left PP at 8:30am and arrived at SR at 2:30pm.

The same travel shop also booked us into the Mekong Angkor Palace hotel in SR for USD20 per night. A great place to stay and it has a swimming pool too (perfect after temple-trekking!). The advantage was that we had a pick-up included from the bus station in SR to the hotel - it avoids the ruck!

#11 Posted: 24/1/2010 - 12:34

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

There is also a night bus now.. not sure of the details, it started up just before Christmas 2009.

#12 Posted: 24/1/2010 - 15:50

• wesleytam

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2011

The night bus going to Phom Penh to Siem Reap is Paramount Bus, and it leaves at 8:00pm and arrive around 2:00am.

The bus that I rode does not have a toilet inside, so if you need to piss, just ask the driver to stop for a while.

The bus fare is USD$10.00 per head.
    At Siem Reap, there are tuk-tuk waiting for you already at 2am. so make sure you have book a hotel before going to Siem Reap at that time.

I can recommend "Sokpee Sumsot" a combodian tourguide that can pick you up in the bus terminal. His fee is only $35.00 a day. He is really good and kind. you may look him up at facebook for contact information.

#13 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 11:37

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

I know night busses are popular, but second thoughts might be in order, given the danger level on the roads of Cambodia at night. Look at the Phnom Penh Post website for recent stories on that.

#14 Posted: 6/8/2011 - 09:39

• jetson

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2012

Has anyone taken this travel in the last few months? I was originally going to take a train from bangkok but I dont have the amount of time I would like. I am going to fly in and out from Bangkok to Phnom Penh and go from Phnom Penh to Siem Rep then back to pp and fly back to bangkok....
    So I assume the bus is still the best idea?
    thanks guys/gals

#15 Posted: 21/1/2012 - 02:38

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Yes, the buses are a good idea (unless you have the funds for a private taxi). Costs approx $6-8USD for VIP (at least it was 2 years ago). It's a decent journey, about 6 hours in total, with a 1/2 hour stop along with way in a small town where you an grab a bite to eat. Scenery is pretty good along the way and the road is good. Unfortunately you get the extremely loud DVD playing along the way, so bring some ear plugs!

#16 Posted: 21/1/2012 - 03:59

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I took a Sorya bus from PP to SR last week. It took about 7 hours due to the few extra stops the public bus takes and the highway condition. The first 1.5 hours out of PP is quite slow as some (on one side) of the highway has washed away. This trip has 2 x scheduled stops at restaurants along the way. The cost is us6$ and you can get your ticket through your guest house/hotel. The aircon worked fine, there is no toilet on the bus and you will find less travelers and more locals. Enjoy!

#17 Posted: 21/1/2012 - 05:10

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Our experience last October was similar to Tyler's. Around USD 6. When we made the trip, there was still a lot of flooded countryside along the first 60 or 70 km out of Phnom Penh, which sounds like the washed out areas Tyler noted. Having traveled quite a lot around Cambodia by bus, I do think it's the best way to get around, factoring in cost, exposure to local culture and the ability to interact with Cambodians in a normal way (by which I mean, other than serving/served realtionships).

#18 Posted: 21/1/2012 - 09:38

• KatMachine

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2011

Hi, I did it by bus and the road is fine. Here is an entry on my blog about my trip along with the other details. Hope it helps
    Edit: snip - please no blog drops like this

#19 Posted: 22/1/2012 - 07:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap ... By Patrickx8 on 3 Jan 2009 0 5386 3 Jan 2009
Angkor Tour Guide | Travel & Tours Packages Cambodia Siem Reap Phnom Penh ... By chhimvivath on 22 Apr 2007 0 4650 22 Apr 2007
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 1394 2 Mar 2014
One day in Phnom Penh and One day + in Siem Reap ... By Playground on 22 Sep 2008 4 6672 29 Sep 2008
How to get From Siem Reap - Phnom Penh ... By Aaron88 on 24 Aug 2011 15 39746 15 Jun 2012
DIY phnom Penh to Siem Reap ... By ckh on 19 Feb 2010 8 6784 19 Sep 2010
bus to siem reap from phnom penh ... By netstar on 3 Jan 2007 2 5922 5 Jan 2007
Phnom Penh to Siem Reap ... By anthony on 17 Nov 2006 4 6414 26 Dec 2006
Siem Reap to Phnom Penh ... By Pedrera on 15 Dec 2011 0 6971 15 Dec 2011
Phnom Penh - Siem Reap by boat ... By sidhupi on 9 Jan 2009 3 5097 10 Jan 2009