Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Itinerary ideas

• Joshq

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Hey guys

I am currently booking my trip and have hit a dead end with organising my cambodian leg of the trip. Basically, I am going to be coming from Bangkok in early-mid july on my way overland to HCMC.

I will have about 2 weeks to get to Vietnam. Firstly - is it possible? I know it's not a huge amount of time... any ideas and advice would be great

#1 Posted: 5/4/2009 - 16:40

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

Sure, it's possible. You'll probably want to see Angkor, so about getting from Bangkok to Siem Reap, see

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/71

For other ideas about places to see in Cambodia, see

http://www.travelfish.org/itineraries/cambodia

Personally, if I had 2 weeks and were going to Cambodia for the first time (in July), I think I'd spend maybe 3-4 days in Siem Reap, 4-5 in some smaller places like Battambang, Kompong Chhnang or Kompong Cham and a few days in Phnom Penh . From Phnom Penh you can take the bus straight to HCMC or take the boat to Chau Doc right on the Vietnamese side of the border.

#2 Posted: 5/4/2009 - 18:04

• Joshq

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

Thanks for the advice Lother. I think I will do a very similar route to what you suggested. Bangkok - Siem Reap - Battambang - Kompong Chhnang - Phnom Penh and then the boat to Chau Doc.

Being wet season, how much will travel between destinations impact timing etc?

Would anyone recommend the boat to Chau Doc?

#3 Posted: 6/4/2009 - 05:42

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

I have yet to try to boat (until this June, that is!), so can't comment more on that.

But I did travel around Cambodia last July, and the wet season didn't really
    affect the travel times much. Of course if there's suddenly a lot of rain, places will flood (saw this a couple of times in Phnom Penh) and you may be stuck somewhere for a while, but in general the main roads between the places mentioned are paved and in pretty good shape, so buses can and do travel at pretty high speeds even during pouring rain. The road from the border to Siem Reap may be a bit of an exception, as I understand parts of it are still in pretty poor shape.

Overall, the wet season is more like strong, short showers in the afternoon than continuous rain all day. And Angkor is definitely more impressive when it's wet, too.

#4 Posted: 6/4/2009 - 12:52

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The boat trip from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc is a great trip -- especially the last couple of hours weaving through the rivers and canals from the border to Chau Doc proper -- I highly recommend it.

#5 Posted: 7/4/2009 - 16:26

• Joshq

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

Thanks for the advice guys. This website has proven to be extremely useful leading up to my trip...and an even better disctraction from work!! Cheers

#6 Posted: 7/4/2009 - 18:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.