Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Kampot or Kep?

• TheGoose

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009

I have a couple of days to kill before I need to go to Vietnam, I'm currently in Sihanoukville. Anyone recommend which is the better to see?

#1 Posted: 14/4/2009 - 16:23

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I've a soft spot for Kep -- that's not much to actually "see" (aside from a trip out to Rabbit Island and buying up about six kilos of pepper) but it is a good spot just to hang about in.

Kampot is also good, there's more to do and see (sunset boat trip is nice, Bokor is awesome -- if you can get up there).

But, in the end they're only 30minutes to an hour apart, so if Kampot ain't your thang -- head to Kep.

#2 Posted: 14/4/2009 - 18:21

• TheGoose

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009

Thanks - Kep it is then!

#3 Posted: 15/4/2009 - 13:28

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

I was also partial to Kep , although there's better restaurants and bars, etc. in Kampot . It depends if you want to have amenities or really lay back and do nothing.
    If you want to compromise and are willing to rent a motorcycle, you can easily stay in Kampot and drive into Kep / around Kep from there.

#4 Posted: 16/4/2009 - 10:08

• DShearer86

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Does anyone know how accessable Bokor is at the moment? I've read various reports of the road to Bokor being closed/partialy closed/closed some days open others...Has anyone been recently??? Or tried to go lol. We're trying to decide wheather to go to Kampot/Kep or Kompong Cham as we cant see both in the time we're there!!

#5 Posted: 22/4/2009 - 00:51

• andytc

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Posted from within Vietnam.

we were in kampot for the "new year" period , Bokor was open for 3 days only as the construction work was halted for the holidays , it's now closed again , altough you might be able to get up on a motorcycle if you paid the guys at the entrance , although no guarentees on that. the road up is pretty rough and as you would expect the weather can change in minutes. Not much to do in kampot , a bit of a dustbowl town , Kep was also very boring.

#6 Posted: 26/4/2009 - 11:24

• tuktuk82

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2009

Kampot is better to base yourself in then you can just hire a bike and go to Kep for some crab on the beach. Kep is lovely but Kampot has a better vibe more to do and a great atmosphere. There are plenty of nice restaurants, wine bar, guesthouses, river activities. Just heaps more going on. My favourite place in Cambodia.

#7 Posted: 15/10/2009 - 02:41

• rubic

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

I do agree with Somtam, I liked Kep City with its beautiful islands. In my ten day trip to cambodia last year. I spent 7 days to explore Phnom Penh and Siem Reap and the rest was in kep. I had a wonderful time for relaxing in beach.

If you do not have much time, Kep is an ideal destination. next time I will lead my trip to the tranquil and pristine beach of Koh Kong.

#8 Posted: 27/10/2009 - 10:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.