Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Worth it to go during the wet season?

• scafire_jes-
    se

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

I'm looking at heading to Cambodia in early September - during the wet season. I wanted to avoid some of the crowds and I don't mind the mud and the damp, but is it going to be worth it for a little over a 2 week trip?

I'd like to see Phnom Phen, Kampot, Battdambang and Siem Reap/Angkor.

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 5/5/2009 - 00:51

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

I'd say it's definitely worth it! September is pretty much the wettest time in the central/southern parts but in the north the worst will already be over. In any case, it's not really all that bad - you'll get rain but you'll get sunshine too. Angkor is great during the wet season too.

#2 Posted: 5/5/2009 - 03:13

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Agree 100% with Lother. Angkor can be magnificent in the wet.

#3 Posted: 5/5/2009 - 07:07

• lennybruce

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2008
    Location Netherlands

I have been twice in the "rainy season" - Sept/Oct 2007 & 2008. On the first trip it only rained during the day one time for less than an hour. On the second trip it rained maybe 2 or 3 times during the day for very short periods of time. I had one spectacular night time rain storm which was great. There are less tourists so I had several temples almost to myself and everything is lush green. It is also a great time to visit Kampong Phluk for example. I would say do it!

#4 Posted: 5/5/2009 - 23:46

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I agree with the others that it is worth going, particularly if that is the only time you have available and the other option is not going at all.

The up side of going during the rainy season is smaller crowds and often lower, off-season prices on accommodation, transportation, etc.

The down side, apart from getting wet, which really isn't so bad, will be increased difficulty getting from place to place. Travel over surfaces roads won't be an issue, but dirt road travel will be very difficult.

Our last trip to Cambodia was during the rainy season, although much earlier in the season - late July. We had a few "end of the world" downpours where we just stayed inside or in the pub. But apart from that, it was beautiful, and the rain made the air fresh. Have fun.

#5 Posted: 6/5/2009 - 00:21

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

yup, I would definitely concur with the others. We spent Oct in the country a couple of years ago and had a spectacular time. Other benefits of rainy season include the vibrant greens of the incredibly lush countryside, a swollen Tonle Sap and atmospheric skies.

#6 Posted: 8/5/2009 - 04:42

• scafire_jes-
    se

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

This is such a great site, I don't know if I can ever travel anywhere again that Travelfish doesn't cover :)

I'm planning this as a photography trip and I was hoping for green steamy jungles, good light and fewer tourists - sounds like I was right on track. And I just got word that work has OK'd the time off so it's off to buy the tickets now!

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

#7 Posted: 8/5/2009 - 05:01

• traveling2u

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2009

Ya, agree.. it is more fun visit to Cambodia during wet season.
    I been there on early of the year. It is winter time. The weather there is nice and cold, we can walk around whole day.

#8 Posted: 16/5/2009 - 19:08

• chivy

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Last summer, I was there and really had a wonderful time.
    The wet season is not a problem if you visit Cambodia.

Let make your trip.

Cheers,

#9 Posted: 25/6/2009 - 17:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Worth a visit during smoke season?? ... By oshi on 12 Nov 2012 1 1058 13 Nov 2012