Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Kep

• kellyj525

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2009

Would greatly appreciate any info on Kep. How many fays are suggested? I will be visiting in October... how's the weather?

Also looking for info about La Villa de Monsieur Thomas formerly Hedon Kep. Is this place open for business?

Thank you!

#1 Posted: 11/5/2009 - 06:57

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Start with our Kep section -- lots of info there. As for La Villa de Monsieur Thomas / Hedon Kep as far as I know the resort is still up for sale, though I've note been to Kep in some time.

#2 Posted: 11/5/2009 - 08:41

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

We really loved Kep, but having said that, 2 days is likely enough. We stayed 3 days, and it was more than enough. This is mostly because there isn't anything to do in Kep, which is part of its charm. We took motorbike rides through the countryside, lazed by the Ocean, ate a lot, visited a new bakery called Salt+Pepper (highly recommended) at the white horse roundabout, and chilled.
    We stayed at Botanica which was nice but basic (you can check out my review). There's new place near Botanica right on the ocean (not a beach) although the name escapes me! (sorry, I will try to find it). Rooms were $10-20 and it looked like a nice hangout. Good value and likely best option if you want to be near the ocean. They sold some food and you'd be close to Botanica if you wanted to eat there (I recommend their food).
    I will try to remember the name ...

#3 Posted: 18/5/2009 - 23:46

• tuktuk82

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2009

You can spend some time in the lovely riverside town of kampot. There is a lot going in Kampot in comparison to Kep and it is really worthwhile having a look.

#4 Posted: 15/10/2009 - 03:45

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I was in Kep in January on a daytrip from Kampot . While Kep is nice, there isn't anything to do there besides a couple views, a mermaid statue and some restaurants.

I agree with tuktuk82, stay in the very close town of Kampot for a couple of nights. There are busses that go to Kep from Kampot or you can have an adventure and rent a scooter and drive there.

I did it, it's not too far, and you get a chance to stop where the busses don't stop.

#5 Posted: 15/10/2009 - 07:36

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Just depends what you want. We wanted nothing and thought that Kep had a delightful resort atmosphere. We stayed 5 nights at the Malibu Estate (Nov 08) which was great, and used bicycles for leisurely exploration around town.

I reckon the crab restaurants, Rabbit Island and the food at the Botanica are all overated but still had a great time!

Dinner at Le Flamboyant was a standout, a visit to a pepper plantation was interesting.

The Villa Whatsisname was definately closed.

Kampot was good too, we stayed 3 nights there.

#6 Posted: 15/10/2009 - 17:44

• pudel

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009

Dear fondo, we would like to spend next spring a week at Malibu Estates, but how i can take contact because the website isnt working and i wont phone from
    switzerland to cambodia! Thank you for an answer

#7 Posted: 15/10/2009 - 18:15

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Well pudel, I can't help there but I've just looked at Le Flamboyant website I see they've been building and it looks great! I'd probably stay there next time.

http://www.flamboyant-hotel.com

#8 Posted: 15/10/2009 - 18:27

• pudel

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009

Thank you fondo, I will try there, looks really great!

#9 Posted: 16/10/2009 - 00:21

• pudel

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009

Hi fondo, just now I got the answers from Malibu for 50 USD and from Flamboyant
    for 45 USD (with breakfast). Could you give me a tipp whats the difference in
    natural? Thank you in advance

#10 Posted: 16/10/2009 - 14:17

• Advertisement

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi pudel,

They are both quite new. as you know, we stayed at Malibu, but I went to Flamboyant for dinner and the owner showed me around the only bungalow he had then. It was a deluxe with a sitting area and shower on the roof.

I thought they were very stylish (as on the website)and well equipped. It is on the main road - which is not very busy - and set well back in what looks like nice gardens. Jungle views on the side of Kep Hill.

Malibu is more Cambodian in style, bungalows and units are crowded around the pool at Malibu but they are set in nice grounds with views over the jungle. Breakfast was good and everything else was fine. the owner (and her dog) is friendly, eccentric and amusing.

The best deal at Malibu is probably a fan room which was USD35 when we were there in Nov 08.

Malibu is a little further out of town, up a bit of a hill, which might matter if you are using a bicycle!

We liked Malibu a lot, but next time I would stay at Flamboyant. Kep Lodge has better views, but these 2 places are a class above ... as the prices indicate.

It's your decision!

Cheers
    fondo

#11 Posted: 18/10/2009 - 15:36

• pudel

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009

Hi fondo, thanks again for your good description and advice, so we have decided
    to spend our relaxing week at le Flamboyant! Best wishes and regards

#12 Posted: 18/10/2009 - 15:43

• samlu

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2010

Thank Fork and now we can easily find all those useful travel information from online shopping/travel website such as http://www.threeland.com/cambodia-travel/Kep.htm

#13 Posted: 8/10/2010 - 16:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.