Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

How does this itinerary look to you???

• misterwoods

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2009

We are a couple in our mid 20's, fairly fit and eager, and hoping to see and do as much as we can in 1 month. Our budget is approx 30 euros/40 dollars per day, plus a couple of hundred on top for extras (hoping to spend no more than about 1200 euros / 1650 dollars). Our accom will be 'flashpacker' - somewhere between budget and mid range!

I have checked out all travel between places we want to go and have a good idea about it all. The only things we have booked ahead are accom in BKK on arrival and our flight back from Krabi to BKK. Everything else we will take as it comes / book accom the day before we head to Pnomh Penh maybe. Is this a good idea? I presume because of low season most places will be no problem getting a room, and rates will be quite competitive.

26th June - arrive BKK (stay 1/2 nights)

27th / 28th - up early & overland to Siem Reap (stay 2 nights, temple sunset on evening we arrive, next day full day @ temples)

30th / 31st - overland to Pnomh Penh (stay 1/2 nights)

1st / 2nd July - overland to Sihanoukville (stay 3/4 nights, try to get to Koh Rong or Koh Rong Saleom for 2 of them)

4th / 5th - Possibly head to Ho Chi Minh (taking in Chau Doc & Mekong Delta for 3/4 days)

7th / 8th - Fly to Chiang Mai (4/5 days, trek of 3 days maybe from Chiang Rai)

12th / 13th - overnight train to BKK, fly to Krabi early, then longtail to Railay (1/2 nights)

14th / 15th - Ko Yao Yai / Noi (for some peace and tranquility!)

16th / 17th - Ko Phi Phi (3/4 days, meet some old friends from oz & home)

22nd - fly back from Krabi to BKK and onwards to Dublin...

We fly out of BKK on the night of the 22nd so there is room for manouvre with our dates (stay longer / shorter anywhere we love / ain't happy with).

Been working it our for a while and think we can get to soak up quite a bit of SE Asia in this time without flying through it. We are totally flexible but want a good week in the Thai Islands at the end to kick back with our mates.

Any advice / recommendations please would be great!

#1 Posted: 20/5/2009 - 23:49

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That's a lot of miles -- a couple of points.

Sihanokville in July doesn't have the best weather -- August is worse, but only just. I'm not sure how regular boats will be out to Ko Rong at that time. If you can't get out there, I'd lean towards skipping the beach and giving yourself a few extra days in southern Thailand. I know Ko Rong sounds very tempting, but weather in July will be iffy -- could be in luck or not!

Sidetrip down into the Delta sounds good -- if you can the Sihanoukville bit, I'd allow at least one more day for this bit.

Re southern Thailand, I'd suggest skipping Railay and given the extra time to Ko Yao Noi or Ko Phi Phi -- again bear in mind, July is wet season on that coast. The main reason I suggest skipping one, is, unless you're going to Railay for the climbing, it's not worth the diversion for the short stay you're planning (1/2 day to get there unpack, hang out for a night, then it's time to pack again and move on).

So, yes, your trip is doable, but I'd be conscious of the weather and consider slimming down the number of stops to that you get a bit more time in each spot.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 21/5/2009 - 07:40

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Bah I just realised you double posted this to the Thai branch. I'll lock this off and repost my answer on the other thread.

#3 Posted: 21/5/2009 - 07:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.