Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Anyone with experience getting drugs in cambodia?

• Bocomo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2009

I was interested to find out if anyone has experience with buying drugs in Cambodia, prices and ease of buying

#1 Posted: 24/5/2009 - 08:12

• Advertisement

• Joshq

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

wrong site for those kinda questions dude....

#2 Posted: 24/5/2009 - 08:45

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Most illegal drugs are available for those determined to buy them. Price is lower than you probably pay in your home country and (with the exception of the pot) potency most likely higher. A lot depends on what drug you're looking for, but as Joshq says, you probably won't get too many detailed responses here.

Bear in mind that for anything other than smoking pot by whats left of the lake, if you're caught by the police, you will be stitched up. Lastly, there are all too regularly deaths by overdose of tourists who thought they were buying cocaine but were sold heroin.

#3 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 09:25

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Bocomo

I never cease to be amazed at the content of some posts (questions) here on Travelfish.

JoshQ & Somtam assumed you were referring to illegal drugs.

Let's take another slant on your question.

Were you referring to drugs of addiction or medicinal (prescription) drugs?

Cheers

#4 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 14:04

• Bocomo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2009

Thanks for the information. Yeah I was curious about illegal drugs, I thought it might be taboo and may offend some, but I wanted to give it a shot. It never hurts to ask and better to be well informed that not at all.

What about prescription drugs? For instance I may be there a while, can I just purchase my prescription there or should I bring enough with me? Its nothing dangerous and commonly OTC here in the states.

#5 Posted: 27/5/2009 - 00:17

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey bocomo,

no harm in asking, since i imagine many of us are at least curious about the drug scene in places like cambodia. it isn't like jamaica, where you can't walk 10 feet without being offered a visit to the farmer, but illicit drugs will still be cheaper and more available in cambodia than back home.

personally, i'd never mess with stuff like that in a place like cambodia. in addition to the solid concerns somtam mentioned above, countries like cambodia are under significant pressure from the west to show that they are serious about the war on drugs. there is no better or easier way to demonstrate that than with a high-profile arrest of a western tourist.

during my first visit to cambodia in 1999, i had a long-term western expat explain it to me this way. he said "cambodia is great because there is nobody to hassle you about whatever you want to do. but at the same time, there is nobody to help if you are being hassled."

either way, don't fret. there is always beer! we found some pretty decent and modestly priced french wines on our last trip too.

as for your other question, as i recall there are pharmacies/chemists on nearly every corner in every city in southeast asia. most OTC drugs are available in one form or another for less than you'd pay back home, and you can get many without a prescription too, although even that isn't as easy as in the past. it's much like mexico, if you have been there.

in any case, have fun, be safe, go home in one piece. cheers.

#6 Posted: 27/5/2009 - 01:18

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Bocomo

On a similar query under Indochina ..., I posted this:

"If you really want to try illegal drugs, better to do it in your own country. If you are found with drugs in some places in SE Asia, they put you in jail take you to court, decide you are guilty and then shoot you".

Increasingly, SE Asian nations are taking a more hardline approach to westerners misbehaving. And, in the current economic environment where officials are getting fewer kickbacks, it seems the westerner is also being seen as a means to get pocket money.

In a word DONT.

But, then, it's your life.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 27/5/2009 - 07:33

• mrparanoid

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2008

Bocomo.. Do us all a favour and go down to the lakeside area and buy some "coke". Do a big line and we'll read about the retard who snorted heroin and died of an od in some $4 dollar room less than 24 hours after his arrival in the papers and think of you ;)

Or bring a lot of prescription drugs from the US (preferably something with codeine in it) and fly through Dubai. That would be fun and exciting..

#8 Posted: 27/5/2009 - 21:52

• Bocomo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2009

Paranoid, if I do what you say, can I have my family sue the website and you after I 'od'? Like that Myspace mom, whose comments caused that girl to commit suicide.

#9 Posted: 28/5/2009 - 07:07

• mrparanoid

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2008

Is the website responsible for my posts? No.. Am I responsible for your lack of IQ or your inability to make intelligent decisions? No.. If you choose to risk your life just to get to know the quality of drugs in Cambodia I think you would be the only one at fault. Ask them to sue you instead for wasting their time and the money spent on bringing up a kid like you.

#10 Posted: 28/5/2009 - 15:33

• Advertisement

• Bocomo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2009

Hey, take it easy, I was trying to gather some information for my travels. You don't have to criticize, if you have some information then offer it otherwise don't respond. Everyone else has offered good info.

#11 Posted: 29/5/2009 - 02:44

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

seems like mrparanoid]/i] isn't just a catchy screen name. :-) seriously though, every one else managed to suggest that it wasn't a good idea to seek drugs in Cambodia without being abusive or rude about it. so take it easy and go with the friendly flow here. cheers.

#12 Posted: 29/5/2009 - 07:41

• mrparanoid

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2008

Fair enough.. there was no need for me to get personal. I take it back.
    Here's a better answer: You can buy ganja all over lakeside and smoke it wherever you want in that area without anyone giving you trouble. If you buy cocaine you will get heroin even if they insist it is cocaine.. Last week an Australian guy died that way. Two weeks ago an American died that way. The last few months about 8 or 9 other tourists have died of a heroin overdose by snorting what they thought was cocaine. So if you want to be on the safe side, stay away from drugs in Cambodia. Happy?

#13 Posted: 8/6/2009 - 15:50

• DShearer86

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

The ganja is poor quality, the coke is smack, the yabba makes u crazy and is basically crystal meth. Unless your going on some sort of narco tourism trip its not a good idea. If you are going on a narco tourism trip then you are taking a massive risk and I along with everyone else on here would advise against it.
    We got about half an oz of weed in Phnom Penh for 15 USD. Very poor quality, but what do you expect?? Your not in the dam ;)
    Looking back I would not even do this now. 2 years ago two people I know were down by the riverfront and got stopped by police after buying some weed. They were taken to an ATM and had their bank accounts emptied. Not worth the risk my freind...

#14 Posted: 8/6/2009 - 23:00

• chaos23

Joined Travelfish
    4th September, 2008
    Total reviews: 7

ow my good..it never ceases to amaze me ...

bocomo: if you are a real traveller than you would know that it is possible to get drugs all over the world, you just have to stumble over the right "friends" or places. wheter they are good or not is not my place to judge, whether they are illegal or not is readable on ANY travelwiki!

taking drugs in SEA is often seen, has sometimes serious consequences and mostly, because YOU ARE THE RICH FARANG COMING HERE MAKING VACATION - you are paying bribes, penalties or even as described - with your live.

never heard such stupid question, really. i can understand all answers here. are you travelling to get high? or do you fear someome in cambodia will sell you cocain as sugar for your coffee??

#15 Posted: 13/6/2009 - 22:25

• Bocomo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2009

I would not have ask the question if I was not interested in getting drugs. Whats wrong with traveling to the place with the best and cheapest dope?
    I must not be a "real" traveler. But last time I checked I could care less about what others think of me.

#16 Posted: 14/6/2009 - 01:45

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i didn't think it was a stupid question at all. the stupid question is the one that isn't asked, and i'd hate to think that people wouldn't ask questions on this message board because they might have to suffer through an abusive responses like chaos23's.

i'm willing to bet that out of the many people who have read this thread, i'm not the only one who learned something new. plus, it convinced me even more that places like cambodia aren't a good venue for recreational drugs. how is that a bad thing? cheers.

#17 Posted: 14/6/2009 - 04:54

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

exacto

I'm with you on this one.

Bocomo asked, got replies, and made his/her observations.

As you point out, many have looked at the thread (some 1200++ at today's count). And, each reader would probably have formed a view.

The two central points to have emerged on the thread is that:

1/.

* the illegality of drug taking in SE Asia can have dire personal consequences (more dire than western nations), and

2/.

the quality of drug provided to westerners in the region is rarely good, and may even compromise one's health / life.

Cheers

#18 Posted: 14/6/2009 - 06:19

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Good summation, B-Moon!

#19 Posted: 16/6/2009 - 10:18

• sacredchao

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009

I read that there are pizza places in PP that sell pizza with weed in/on it. Is that still true (or was it ever)?

#20 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 06:36

• DShearer86

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Tis true. It's called Happy Herb Pizza. Bit of a gimmick tbh, well at least the one we had was. Just a bad tasting pizza that didnt have the desired effect...

#21 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 19:23

• chaos23

Joined Travelfish
    4th September, 2008
    Total reviews: 7

abusive? i was just shaking my head and laughing all the time because this question did never come on my mind and i´ve had my fair share of testing some weed and ganja @ home ... but i´d never do that in cambodia, or anywhere else in SEA.. it´s just too dangerous and mostly just crap sold there. and that´s a thing you can read even in the big lonely planet *grin*

HH pizza still is sold, but it´s more like a tourist trap ;)

i´m sorry, but it wasn´t meant rude, i was just proving a point with the rich farang thing.

#22 Posted: 25/6/2009 - 01:20

• johniv

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2010

I'd like to hear the outcome of Bocomo's trip...
    Assuming you made it out alive & with no prison terms, how was the trip? Do you have some experience now in the "drug trade"?

#23 Posted: 19/3/2010 - 12:54

• Bocomo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2009

Leaving in May

#24 Posted: 21/3/2010 - 08:27

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Have a grand time and let us know how it goes for you.

#25 Posted: 21/3/2010 - 08:52

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

The times are changing here in Cambodia.We've got a new Police General and he seems to want a more active approach against drugs. Posters are appearing in guesthouses and hotels now warning people against taking drugs.Ganja is still not a big problem at the lakeside.Most of the guesthouses sell it over the counter but taking other drugs apart from being bad for your health can lead you into big problems.'Cocaine' is actually heroin so if you snort it you will be going home in an urn.Methamphetamine is a big problem here and most of the Vietnamese prostitutes that hang around the hotels are addicts and fund their habit by stealing off anyone stupid enough to let them into their room.On the other hand there are still pharmacies which will sell you morphine and of course diazepam and sleeping pills.I sense Cambodia is changing its image and very soon it will be as dangerous as Thailand to be in possession of illegal drugs.
    The beer is good though

#26 Posted: 21/3/2010 - 16:49

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

What sayadian said.

#27 Posted: 22/3/2010 - 07:22

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I have no further additions to what has been said already.

Only that I respect Bocomo for starting this threat and participating in it in spite of the sneers. It is a nice change from the political correctness and topics such as these have as much right to be here as the 100 questions about cheap buses & hostels.
    I don't use any drugs myself nor do I visit any drug-related areas but it is a significant part of SE asian culture and many travelers use soft drugs. Personally I would welcome a discussion on bargirls as well.

Most travelers try (or pretend) to know the culture and these issues are a significant part of it and this forum is a great place to get a first idea.

#28 Posted: 26/3/2010 - 10:46

• Bocomo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2009

I agree. I know how some of these online discussion go.

My primary reason for traveling is not to score drugs or girls.

I do intend to enjoy myself though. I have read about the various drugs available there and would like to know about anyone's experience with such. After my travels I will share my experience to inform those that would be interested. Maybe I will include a discussion on bar girls too.

#29 Posted: 28/3/2010 - 04:12

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

For what it's worth Bocomo: I know it is easy to find drugs in Sihanoukville . Both soft and hard drugs can easily obtained there if you ask around a little. I will not bring this forum in danger by naming names but it really should be easy.

The main points from the above do apply there however. When you see the long-term foreign-residents there it is not very good advertisement for the quality of the drugs there. But as I said I do not have personal experience.

You probably want to end your holiday or travel in Sihanoukville where you can find a few good parties and whatever you might look for.
    Happy travels

#30 Posted: 29/3/2010 - 09:18

• Langley

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

For pure curiosity sake... i haven't seen any mention on psychotropic drugs- DMT, Psylocybin, Ayahuasca, LSD.... I would be interested to know about the local shamans and there "ceremonies"... I am sure every country has it's roots of "discovering god"

#31 Posted: 30/3/2010 - 07:40

• _john_

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2005

Bocomo (re: #24)--you started your queries early then I see, if you're not leaving until May... I will actually be there in early-mid May. While "satellite" Angkor temples & a touch of scuba are my focus, I will also do some of my own "research" into the original subject.

#32 Posted: 30/3/2010 - 08:00

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

@ #31
    the nat kadaws of Myanmar are fond of whiskey and tobacco as tools to assist summoning nats and falling into trance; tobacco seems to be a nearly universal shamaninistic plant. There are many varieties of psilocybin-containing mushrooms found throughout the region, I think Paul Stamets did some field research on the subject, but not sure if there is a reported history of use in the local shamanic traditions.

#33 Posted: 30/3/2010 - 08:50

• _john_

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2005

Langley (#31)--I've come to believe psychotropics/hallucinogens are not a big thing in Asia as they are in the Americas and other parts of the world.

Shamanism in Asia? I haven't heard much of this, beyond Russia & Siberia, and maybe Taoist-influenced "shaman-like" practices in Taiwan and Japan, and followers of animism in tribal & rural areas throughout Asia...but these are likely not heavily involved with psychotropic plant drugs like some Native American groups & shamanic tribes in the Americas (which is what I *think* you're thinking of here).

As for the specific drugs you mention:

1) DMT: I actually read some Thai drug laws (in 2001) that said DMT is legal in Thailand--HOWEVER, this should likely have read more as "not illegal"...because you can't buy it legally (or illegally). I place it with oddity laws like the legality of peyote in Canada--you can't grow it there, so you're hard-pressed to ever find it, despite its legality.
    Off-topic since we're on about Cambodia here, but I've never heard of people using DMT in Asia (except for psilocybin, which is an analog or form of it...4-OH-DMT?)

2) Psilocybin: This is around, though not a common sight like, say, ganja. These would be your hallucinogenic mushrooms, though I've only heard of it put into 'Special/Happy Shakes' in Cambodia (& other parts of S.E. Asia); I've never heard of someone actually eating the mushroom itself (in Cambodia)--though they obviously grow in the region if it's around in the shakes (and in N. America it's semi-common to get "Cambodians", i.e. Cambodian P. Cubensis mushrooms.)

3) Ayahuasca: Given that this is a blend of plants (B. caapi vine + various others), all from South America, I doubt you'd ever find this in Cambodia.

4) LSD: Very doubtful. Probably not impossible though. But "kids these days" seem much more into their "eckies" and "happy pizzas" than to be concerned with acid. (Suckers.)

#34 Posted: 30/3/2010 - 08:59

• toxic8

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2009

You will be touted for drugs by tuk tuk drivers almost all the time. Talk to people hanging out on riverside, I'd recommend you use your gut feeling, I met a cool younger dude nickname 'Rambo'

Oxycontin and the like are not available OTC. Codeine is.

The heroin is produced in region and is very potent, be careful. Use your head if you're gonna do it, don't get drunk before, don't do a 12 inch line, etc.

Cocaine will be fake or very low quality mix of methamphetamine and other garbage, as others have stated it might actually be that potent heroin I was talking about..

Yabba (as pills etc) is available.( methamphetamine. )

Happy Pizza (weed laced pizza) is available, there are three shops right next to each other in sisowath quay (riverside) .. I was told the middle one is the best. I'd say 2/3 times I got delightfully (and deliciously) baked. One time was a dud, don't know why.

As a side note, I am very interested about john's post regarding possible DMT availability in Thailand.. there's one I thought I'd never come across .. parallel universes sound enticing ..

#35 Posted: 9/4/2010 - 08:10

• _john_

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2005

toxic8...Re: DMT: Sorry, it was an old ref & I think it was still labeled as a controlled substance, but there were some exceptions whereupon it could be legally possessed...but regardless, I've never seen or heard of anyone getting DMT in SE Asia.
    It would only be available as 'O-phosphoryl-4-hydroxy-N,N-DMT', in psilocybin-containing mushrooms.

I have a question about heroin around the lakeside--seems like lots of people get H when they're looking for C...if one is actually wanting the H, would it be easier and/or more economical to just ask around (with wise caution) for H? Is it still easily found/available?

#36 Posted: 9/4/2010 - 09:59

• toxic8

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2009

I don't know anyone who was "lucky" enough to receive good heron instead of cocaine when ordering the latter but yes it is available .. "tuk tuk sir? heroin?" is not too far from the actual.. though I wouldn't trust many of the tuk tuk drivers for anything more than a little bud. Seems like alot of the OD stories are speculated to be people receiving H instead of C. I didn't stay lakeside however, my experiences are only dealing with Sisowath Quay. Regarding DMT thanks, guess the mushies will do!

#37 Posted: 9/4/2010 - 10:38

• vegelion

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2009

imo, happy herb pizza was yum, with or without the happy.

#38 Posted: 10/4/2010 - 05:57

• mrparanoid

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2008

@toxic8

Maybe you don't know the "right" people

Two British men have been found dead in a Cambodian hotel room after apparently snorting heroin which they mistook for cocaine.

http://itn.co.uk/420b9af13da0116034b73f9c0d00c7af.html

It is commonplace for Cambodians to sell heroin to tourists who ask for cocaine, which is more expensive.

The practice is thought to account for a dozen deaths in the capital every year.

The popular guide book range, Lonely Planet, warned tourists in its pages on Cambodia, saying: 'Be very careful about buying "cocaine".

'One look at the map and the distance between Colombia and Cambodia should be enough to make you dubious, but it's much worse than that.

'Most of what is sold as coke, particularly in Phnom Penh, is actually pure heroin.

http://ki-media.blogspot.com/2009/02/two-british-tourists-die-after-taking.html

#39 Posted: 19/4/2010 - 20:35

• toxic8

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2009

May be, like I said, didn't happen that way with the person I know.

IMHO, if you can't tell the difference between pure heroin and cocaine you have NO business trying such dangerous drugs (i.e. you've never done either or you're too wasted to tell the difference)

#40 Posted: 19/4/2010 - 20:38

• mrparanoid

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2008

Norwegian dies from drug overdose in Cambodian hotel

http://ki-media.blogspot.com/2008/11/norwegian-dies-from-drug-overdose-in.html

A week or two ago someone called Byron Jost died of a Heroin overdose in Phnom Penh.. Most of these overdoses don't make it into the international newspapers.

There's got to be 20-30 of these overdoses every year in Cambodia.. Surprised no one has heard about it.

#41 Posted: 19/4/2010 - 20:48

• mrparanoid

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2008

Typically overdoses are reported in western media as "heart attacks" like this one here.. But in Cambodian newspapers they don't censor it. They even show uncensored pictures of the deceased and close-ups of their passports.

GERMAN MAN FOUND DEAD IN S'VILLE

A German national was found dead on Friday in his room at the Ekareach Hotel in Sihanoukville. Sangkat 3 district police identified the dead man as 26-year-old A----- O----. Hotel staff said the dead man checked into one room with a friend last Tuesday. Police quoted the friend, P----- W--- M----, 27, also from Germany, as saying both were tourists and had entered Cambodia on February 14. Police said the deceased died of a heart attack but refused to allow journalists to see the body.

I left out the names on this one..

#42 Posted: 19/4/2010 - 21:00

• mrparanoid

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2008

Another "heart attack" :

NORWEGIAN MAN FOUND DEAD

A Norwegian man, K----- A------, 33, was found dead on Wednesday morning seated on a sofa in room 114 of the Big Club Resort Guesthouse in Village 4, Preah Sihanouk province. The deceased checked into the guesthouse on Saturday, and staff members said they had seen him drinking a glass of wine on the evening before his death. Police said the man died of a heart attack.

#43 Posted: 19/4/2010 - 21:02

• nomad29

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2010

In fairness, you had to expect not all the replies you got to this post would be positive- it's a pretty emotive subject.
    In my experience, I would avoid it. If you come from a western country your body will be used to certain chemicals and drugs in certain dosages. What you get travelling varies wildly so accidental overdose is likely- ie you may be able to crank through Coke that you got in London at an alarming rate, but expecting to have the same resiliance to Thai Coke could actually be lethal. If you do buy anything your best bet is to go for over the counter (not sure about Cambodia but you can get some pretty good OTC such as Valium in India). Or stick with Pot. That way you know what you're actually getting. AVOID coke at all costs- very common for travellers to OD in places like thailand and cambodia buying 'cocaine' from the locals. Cocaine is very expensive there, but Heroin isn't, so often they will tell you it's coke but sell you strong herion. One line and it could be lights out, not a nice way to go.
    As for the legal implications, I'm sure you can weigh that one up for yourself.
    You've got loads of information about it now anyway, so you can at least make an informed decision.
    Good luck!

#44 Posted: 6/6/2010 - 23:00

• UpwardSpiral

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2009

All the people getting offended by this post need to shut up (imho).
    I was really paranoid about scoring grass at first, but it's not that bad. Just be CAREFUL, scope out the scene, and talk to travelers about it so you can get a trusted source. I know the big parties like Full Moon have plain-clothes trying to bust foreigners for bribes. Shrooms are available in places like Koh Phangan, but not like it used to be.
    Peace/be careful/have fun

#45 Posted: 7/6/2010 - 07:07

• airyk

Joined Travelfish
    11th June, 2010

so much information, Going to get myself a happy pizza. While I would prefer to get LSD, that might not be an option. Shrooms, how would I get them in PP (riverside?), and what legal implications are there for a few shrooms? I'm well aware that trafficking can be met with death, but crazy people please don't give me a paranoid response about just a few shrooms.
    Or if LSD really is available do tell!

Also where has Bocomo been? Did he die of a cocaine overdose? I assume if he has then Mr. paranoid has read his obituary and just forgot to inform us.

#46 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 00:15

• toxic8

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2009

shrooms .. go lakeside, I remember seeing plenty of restaurants selling shrooms shakes. never tried em though. AFA acid GL!

#47 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 00:30

• Bocomo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2009

It is easy to get drugs in Cambodia. In the popular tourist locations if you are not offered, you can simply ask a tuk-tuk. I don't recommend using drugs their, primarily for the reason that you are a foreigner in a country that lacks emergency response medical care that most of us are used to. If something happens you are **** out of luck. If you are interested on details of my experience you can ask me, but I will answer with discretion. Bottom line, travel to another country,in particular Cambodia, there is much more to do and see than wasting your holiday time stoned or drunk.

On a side note the app for the ipod offered for Siem Reap and Angkor Wat by Travelfish is exceptional and very useful(no need for a travel guide in the format of a book). I whipped out my ipod while all those suckers flipped through there huge LP guide books. Also, I downloaded the PDF guides by travelfish for the other parts of Cambodia and never needed to walk around with a travel guide book, just used the ipod.

#48 Posted: 17/6/2010 - 01:29

• airyk

Joined Travelfish
    11th June, 2010

Hmm thanks for the advice. I will be in Cambodia for a long while, so I believe I have time for any and everything. Bocomo, do tell me your experiences. Either via the forum...or if you will give me more details send me private message.

#49 Posted: 17/6/2010 - 03:13

• wolfman

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2006
    Total reviews: 4

common s-e-asian drugs i.e. ganja, smack (h),speed (notorious jabah) and downers ( a variety of sleeping pills) can be easily, more or less, scored in p.p. and snookyville. trust your guts and ask around. adult motodops and western long-timers are a possibility.
    be careful with h and yabah: the first is a nr.2 or even 3-means quality, the latter able to roast your brain.
    take care and make your trip!

#50 Posted: 3/7/2010 - 01:11

• weiniswrink-
    le

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2010

what;s with everyone spazzing out on drugs? can't someone just ask a travel related question as to what they might be interested in....? geeeez, i didn't know travelfish members were all about judging others ideas for "their" travel plans.

chill out mr. paranoid

#51 Posted: 19/8/2010 - 08:26

• Bocomo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2009

Seeking out information on the internet always has benefits and unfortunately consequences. There will always be haters.

Drugs and information concerning them will often be viewed as negative. I don't condone drugs or drug use but I support people being informed. Better to go into a situation with knowledge than with stupidity.

I don't know exactly how this web site feels about the subject, so I make myself available for people interested on the subject to pm me.

#52 Posted: 19/8/2010 - 10:06

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Hey Bocomo,it's a free country (well sort of). Ask away. You're right, no harm in doing that. And frankly, while I take a dim view on recreational drugs I am also a libertarian at heart and if someone wants to get high, well, that's their buisiness and I am not interested in making it mine the social consequences be damned.

#53 Posted: 19/8/2010 - 11:14

• jmax

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2010

Everytime some asks about access to drugs(especially weed) while on their vac. they are a 'basehead or pothead'. Hope you have or are having an awesome time.

pssst; let me how the weed is!

#54 Posted: 22/8/2010 - 18:28

• toxic8

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2009

not as good as the thai variety but cheap and abundant

#55 Posted: 22/8/2010 - 22:18

• theyanna

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2011

I wouldn't recommend taking drugs in Cambodia but I do agree with some of the commenters that if you really want to do it, might as well be as informed as possible.

http://www.gosihanoukville.com is an amazing resource about cambodia beaches, not about drugs...but I mention this because the site has a forum and i think a lot of pot-smokers prefer the beaches of cambodia (the focus of this site) instead of angkor wat and the capital city so you might find some answers there...

that is assuming you are looking for pot....if you're looking for heroin, er, DON'T! the jails in cambodia ain't purrrrty....

#56 Posted: 22/1/2011 - 23:24

• airyk

Joined Travelfish
    11th June, 2010

In case anyone checks in the future let me set things strait. I asked questions about 6 months ago, since then I have been here in cambodia with no issues, ever.
    Drugs are easy to get, very. Sometimes they will overcharge you, or give you very little (shrrom shakes with just a tiny bit of shrooms). But for the most part there are no issues. Most drugs can be bought from random tuktuk/motodop drivers, just walk around riverside until someone asks you. Lakeside is also an easy place to find drugs. However if you just go ask random moto guys anywhere in the city and you will find someone who can help you.

Pot is very special here, while it is not legal, you can get it on your pizza for no extra charge, get it in your fruit shake, or if you go to some villages pot comes in soup, oddly enough I have had to reject pot-chicken soup because I was too afraid that 200-300km moto rides on dirt roads might not be too easy while high.

In the 6 months I've been here I have not been able to find LSD :( So if anyone ever knows where I can, do tell me.

#57 Posted: 23/1/2011 - 03:00

• shotgun

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2010

I know this is an old thread but i figured i would add m2c, 3 Canadian kids i had met in Laos were arrested in Cambodia for buying, using, possessing some sort of drugs (i dont really know the specifics of what charges or what drugs). What i do know is that the cops had been watching them for 2 days and seen them buy drugs about 4 times and they had to call their parents in Canada to send them some pretty hefty bribe money (it was thousands of dollars). I spoke to one of them briefly after the event (funnily enough he was stoned at the time) and he said that only two of them could get the cash together, the other one's parents didn't have the money to send so he was forced to stay there. I dont know what happened in the end but i spoke to the bloke a couple of weeks after it happened and as far as he knew, his friend was still in gaol.

Anyway, i would suggest steering clear of any drugs except booze in countries where you will get more than just a slap on the wrist for partaking. It's not worth wasting your life just to get high on holidays.

#58 Posted: 23/1/2011 - 08:01

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Shotgun is, of course, quite right. Prison here isn't a good time.

#59 Posted: 23/1/2011 - 21:58

• Psomniferum

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

Well to be frank here, I've read of a lot of people going to cambodia specifically because of their cheap cost of living (2 bucks for a big meal and some places a dollar a night) and the cheap high purity dope (opiates).

These people who went to the lake and thought they had coke and ended up snorting nearly pure heroin is both sad and also worthy of earning him a darwin award.

Anyways if your going for opiates, I've heard that they are easy to come buy and codeine is OTC and the heroin is extremely pure so it is actually healthier to use than US or EU heroin which is cut with who knows what, but if you end up being an idiot and racking up a 100mg line, you may be in the obituary.

People going to cambodia and also expecting to dabble in drug culture need to understand that because drugs are illegal in the US and are smuggled, then passed onto gangs who cut and recut by the time you get it. However in a country within the "Golden Triangle" your getting within 80-90+ purity because these are the areas of production, so snorting a fat line of what you assume to be cocaine but turns out to be pure heroin near the country of production, it's bascially the equivelent of thinking you were drinking mike's hard lemonade but drank a 8 oz glass of 191 proof everclear. Also if you are going to do heroin there, be safe start in 5mg line incriments (get a scale) or smaller to deteremine your tolerance and not be another "stupid american" who overdosed due to an ignorant approach to drug use.

Shrooms are also abundant over there I hear, as well as the usual marijuana
    Go to a recreational drug forum and you'll find more specific & experienced-based answers on this question.

#60 Posted: 20/11/2011 - 16:36

• Gigpig

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2011

Some years back when I was stuck in Kathmandu we discovered ketamine was available OTC, most chemists did not stock it or even know what it was but we found a large chemist supplier that had it.

Having a large amount of ketamine on hand is rarely a good idea, though it made for some very strange nights out.

I believe ketamine is also available or was available in Cambodia.

#61 Posted: 3/12/2011 - 02:40

• airyk

Joined Travelfish
    11th June, 2010

Sorry If I have not posted in a long time, but it turned out drugs are easy to get here. very very easy. Hundreds of places sell Happy shakes, in some villages there are whole pot fields. there is a crazy hippy selling LSD in kampot, there are plenty of shrooms near the tourist places...really all is quite good here.

#62 Posted: 19/2/2012 - 11:28

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Excellent, good to hear it. SEA: Something for everyone.

#63 Posted: 19/2/2012 - 21:10

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

And don't forget cocaine which turns out to be pure heroin and kills quite a few idiots every year.yeh,everything is available

#64 Posted: 20/2/2012 - 00:43

• barangPP

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2012

Hello
    I know it a old threat but I need an answer about drug in PP as well.
    Would like to know if some of you guys could help me to identify a drug in PP that you smoke (with bottle of water), cost 5dol, mild effect (but cant sleep). They call it "sko" sugar. It is neither coc neither heroin. Maybe met but dont know as i never try it.
    TY for the information.
    Cheers

#65 Posted: 26/2/2012 - 22:16

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Basically it's crystal meth locally called 'Ice' and constant use of it usually ends in madness because the user never gets REM sleep. Even though they believe they are sleeping in fact they are just in an hallucinogenic state.That's after all your teeth have fallen out and people avoid you because you are talking to yourself.

#66 Posted: 27/2/2012 - 04:29

• barangPP

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2012

Thank you Sayadian!

Are you sure locally they say ice because this would be something as "dako" but what I heard was more "sko" (sugar)? Whatever this is one of the worst **** ever....

But could it be that when you are really addicted you can sleep i would even say you need that **** to sleep? The neurotoxicity looks indeed very strong (I could witness it plus I read it) but is there any chances to get back to your "normal"stage or once you reached that stage to talk to yourself it is for ever and you hopeless???

#67 Posted: 28/2/2012 - 19:11

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Indeed you are right, the Khmer word for ice (I mean the normal everyday stuff) is duk koh' and sugar is skoh. I am assuming it's just another slang word for meth ampethamine because the stuff often looks like sugar to such an extent that many rip-offs happen because the buyer can't see the difference.
    BTW 'Ice' is not physically addictive but the user experiences a mental dependancy.
    IMO it leads to madness as I have seen many users deteriorate mentally very quickly.

#68 Posted: 28/2/2012 - 22:22

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

just watch breaking bad for proof

#69 Posted: 29/2/2012 - 03:21

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Not seen that but just came in from the beach in Sihanoukville and there are many sad cases here.The bargirls are all on it and there are one or two poor souls wandering the beach behaving irrationally and talking to themselves.Sihanoukville along with Phnom Penh has the worst problem for this stuff in Cambodia. It's on sale everywhere in Sihanoukville and if you really want to try this stuff (I advice against it) you won't walk 5 metres without being asked if you want it.
    I've seen it used in Thailand but there it's used less as a recreational drug but more as a means to work longer hours and make more money for trades like taxi-driving; that and yaba (yama in Cambodia) which is a less portent version.

#70 Posted: 29/2/2012 - 04:47

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

It seems that yeaaah is trying to show us the quality of drugs available.

#71 Posted: 30/3/2012 - 20:33

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

There's always one every where you go...

Yeaaah, take a chill pill man.

#72 Posted: 31/3/2012 - 01:06

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Mac
    Where do you get these chill pills?As the hot season is coming now it'd definitely be preferential to stick in my can of beer rather than the local custom of putting ice in beer.
    :-)

#73 Posted: 31/3/2012 - 01:57

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

Drugs are not my thing!

What about Thai Whisky? Heard its great? lol

#74 Posted: 31/3/2012 - 07:58

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I think heroin is less harmful than Thai whiskey.Though best stay off both.

#75 Posted: 1/4/2012 - 01:28

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

BTW there's a local stuff here which costs 1000 real abottle (25 cents) and has got to be the ultimate gut rot.

#76 Posted: 1/4/2012 - 01:30

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

time2fly...Lao Khao in Thailand. It's 50 baht for a small bottle and 100 baht for a large one. Any home shop will be selling it and I think the 7/11s do too. If you drink it with the Thais , they like to do shots and very often. Where I live they like to add M150 (cheap Red Bull) to it. Gets you warm and fuzzy real quick. I actually prefer it over tequilla and moonshine in the states. Drink lots of it and you may experience a little memory loss the next day. LOL Have fun.

#77 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 05:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I actually prefer it over tequilla and moonshine in the states."

Well Neosho, there is no accounting for taste. Lao Cao is what we, in my neck of the woods, refer to as "rot gut". But moonshine is a fair equivelent. Tequila, on the other hand, is what real men drink.

#78 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 06:57

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

Moonshine was very interesting... I don't think I would take much more than a drink or two. I didn't want the gut-rot. As for tequilla, I had a bad experience with that in Mexico...That was the last time I touched it!!!

#79 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 07:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Not me. I'm definitely a tequila guy. And while I'd prefer Cuervo 1800, I'm not that picky. We have a bar here that serves it, and it's my bar for sure.

#80 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 09:33

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

lol...I was sick in the back of my mouth just thinking about it. Well, Im open to new things. I will try this gut-rot drink lol. My flight out is tomorrow.. Lets hope for no delays as today was delayed 4 hours!!!

#81 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 16:56

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Tequila, isn't that the stuff they mix up to look like a sunrise and stick a little umbrella in? I always thought it was a ladies drink.Haven't you tried Mescal? Much better.

#82 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 19:47

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I thought this thread was about drugs but I suppose alcohol counts as a drug.
    BTW
    FYI
    It is no longer cool to smoke ganja on The Riverside.I smelt it the other day.Those days are gone.You WILL get busted and have to pay a sizeable bribe.

#83 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 19:50

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

I guess we put the drug question to rest? They are as illegal as they are anywhere else.. And it will cost you a lot or jail of you are busted trying to buy!! Right? Lol

In recent news, I leave tomorrow for 3 weeks and have packed too much as usual . It 2am and I'm deciding what to bring yet again..

But back to the thread... Having a drink of Rum while I decide ...

#84 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 00:58

• oscarcat

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2008
    Location Cambodia

If you are going to take drugs in a public place in Cambodia, please have the decency to check with the owner or at least a member of staff BEFORE doing so. In my school/coffee shop I have had 3 people fire up a fat one without asking, creating that awkward moment when you have to say, please, not in here. One of them (an expat who shld really know better) promptly stepped OUTSIDE the bar to smoke it. How dumb is that?

#85 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 01:53

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

As far as I know the only places you can smoke dope with relative impunity now are the Number 10 in the old Lakeside and The GreenWall restaurant further up where they don't seem to mind.

#86 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 04:44

• phiota

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2012

Just wondering of the drugs available in Cambodia/SE Asia which ones do you think is "safer" (I assume like Cannabis/Weed) and which ones one should avoid (like super addictive physically/psychologically drugs that most feel like can not live without after the trip)? Thanks.

#87 Posted: 4/5/2012 - 03:58

• johniv

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2010

phiota: Sounds like you already have your own notion of what to consider relatively safe and what to avoid. Perhaps best to follow your own instincts.

#88 Posted: 4/5/2012 - 07:13

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

phiota is you don't know the answer to that question already, avoid them all. A foreign country is not a great place to experiment with drugs.

#89 Posted: 4/5/2012 - 07:50

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Madmac....Tequila is what real men drink.
    The testosterone is just breaking out all over you. LOL

#90 Posted: 4/5/2012 - 09:10

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I never said that Tequila is what real men drink Neosho. What's wrong with you man? They drink Vodka and beer too.

#91 Posted: 4/5/2012 - 10:51

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

I have became a fan of Cambodia and Ankor!!! What's better than 50 cent pints?? It taste a lot better than Molson or Bud

#92 Posted: 10/5/2012 - 01:56

• intrepidman-
    xie

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2013

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.

Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

#93 Posted: 12/6/2014 - 06:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.