Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Cheapie Mobile?

• piglet44

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Just discovered I can't use my mobile in Cambodia so is it possible to buy a cheapie phone and sim card in PP when we arrive?
    if so what would this cost (a simple one no fancy footwork required- just want to SMS my kids once in a while)
    thanks

#1 Posted: 26/5/2009 - 01:09

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

There's lots of places selling used mobiles in Cambodia, so you can pick one up pretty cheap. Or new too, of course, if you want, you should be able to get the cheapest ones for like $40? At least as of last year you need a Cambodian to buy you a SIM card, but you can ask a moto driver or your guesthouse for example, shouldn't be a problem.

#2 Posted: 26/5/2009 - 03:41

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

piglett

A sim card can be bought anywhere, and sold to anyone (as of April last).

I'm assuming you're mobile is on 3g and you are unable to use GSM sim cards (makes dual band a good option, eh?).

If you want to text your kids occasionally, maybe an internet cafe could be cheaper.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 26/5/2009 - 07:24

• winterof78

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2009

Hi

I bought an Mfone SIM for $5 from a stall outside the Russian market (Cambodians pay $3) However I'm sure there's a SIM or SIM/phone combination that lets you call the UK cheaply, but I don't know how.

Does anyone know a third party service that makes calling the UK from Cambodia cheaper than $3 a minute. There's always SKYPE but the internet is painfully slow throughout Cambodia - I think it's because most places still have no fibre optic cables.

Thanks

Simon

#4 Posted: 22/8/2009 - 14:11

• BDV

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2008

Hi:

MPhone Sim cards are around USD3.00 - USD4.00 (depending on the phone number) around the central market. You should be able to get a local to pick you up for around USD5.00 total.

This is also good area to pick up a cheap mobile....should be able to get something for below USD20.00 if all you want to do call and sms.

#5 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 15:30

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

Well, Mfone is good for calling out of Cambodia. As detailed here:
    http://www.mfone.com.kh/overseacall.aspx
    their overseas VOIP service costs 25 cents / min to most countries (incl. the UK). As I understand it, when you have an Mfone SIM, you don't need to add the 165 either when you call. At least I haven't, and have been charged around that price. I've used the VOIP quite a bit and been pretty happy with the sound quality and all that too.

#6 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 15:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.