Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Flying Cambodia - Laos

• remf

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2009

Hi all,

I'm going to be in Cambodia in late July and would like to venture into Laos. Given time will be tight, flying there seems to be the best option.

I've had a look at the suggested Laos Airline websites, but neither seem particularly clear, and I'm not confident of booking tickets through there if I'm honest.

I have 2 questions;

1) What are the current prices for flying from Cambodia to Laos - not too worried about destination/arrival as I know it's fairly well serviced, but if anyone has recent fare prices for July/August that would be useful.

2) Is it better to wait until in Cambodia and pop along to a travel agents or advice bureau and book it via them? Does this save on cost?

Any help/advice appreciated.

#1 Posted: 16/6/2009 - 16:46

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

remf

Both Cambodia and Laos have several airports. Before one can suggest probable price, one needs to know departure / arrival.

As for Laos Airlines, if you know your itinerary dates before you leave, you can book with your local travel agent in your home country: it won't be much more expensive.

Late July is not peak season. If you leave booking till in Cambodia, unless you try and book an hour before (or similar) you wont have too many hassles.

Also, there is a multiple leg pass that works out cheaply. Go see:

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/118

Cheers

#2 Posted: 16/6/2009 - 18:52

• remf

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2009

Hi BruceMoon -

Thanks for your reply.

Most likely I hope to fly from Siem Reap to Vientiane or Luang Prabang return.

When checking these potential costs via LaoAirlines.com the site is quoting $400 for a return. I have no idea of what sort of price I should be expecting, but that does seem a little high? Admittedly they were internal flights, but whilst in Vietnam last summer you could travel from north to south via air for far less...

#3 Posted: 16/6/2009 - 20:16

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

remf

Yes, Lao air IS expensive.

Vietnam entered an agreement with Qantas to share a second airline - as a low cost carrier (Jetstar). Where jetstar operate, Vietnam Airline competes on price. Where there is no competition, well, buyer beware.

I note on another site that HaNoi to Luang Prabang is $130. Go look at the details...

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/laos/6098_from-hanoi-to-luang-prabang

So, Siem Reap to Vientiane for $300 is sort of in the ballpark.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 05:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.