Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Phnome Peng-Aug 10th to Aug 15th-want to do Angkor

• jmdma808

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009

Hello, i will be flying into Phnome penh on Aug 10th and leaving on Aug 15th. I have a couple of questions. First, I know i have to do Angkor Waht. How long does it take? should i set aside three days and spend one in phnome penh? secondly, should i book a hotel just for the first and last nights of my stay in phnome penh since ill be going to angkor in the middle? whats the best way to do this? im confused....

#1 Posted: 18/6/2009 - 19:11

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

jmdma808

It really depends on what floats your boat.

Some people race through a small part in one day and say they have seen it all - which they havn't - and are happy.

Others get a 3 day pass and want more.

I'd suggest you give yourself 3 days seeing temples, one day going to Tonle Sap, and give yourself a day for other things.

The genocide museum in PP needs a day. It takes 1 day (or best part of it) to bus between PP & Siem Reap.

At this time of year, there's no tourist rush so leaving accommodation till you arrive is OK, but you may prefer having accommodation pre-booked - just in case.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 20/6/2009 - 13:11

• huxley21

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2009

BruceMoon

A whole day for the prison ......really? Is it possible to do the prison in the morning and then get a moto out to the killing fields - or is trying to get a lift from outside the prison going to be a prime spot for being ripped off?!

Also at the risk of sounding very ignorant, how do you get around angkor (with a fairly lazy unenergetic boyfriend) as to visit all/a number of the temples i imagine a fair distance is going to be covered. people talk of getting tuk tuks to the sight what do you do then (without a guide) walk? i am presuming motobikes are not allowed on the site but can you take bicycles?

Thanks

#3 Posted: 2/7/2009 - 22:30

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

huxley21

Your questions are worthy.

There are 2 'museums', the (ex) high school within PP at Tuol Sleng, and the 'killing fields' of Choeung Ek.

Tuol Sleng has a 'movie' lasting about an hour that begins at 11am. It is a very revealing, chillingly disturbing movie, and recommended: not for the content per se, rather because it shows how humans can be at once so brutal and then later appear like rational caring people. The remainder of this museum needs about an hour.

So, it depends on what time of day you begin. If you choose to go to Choeung Ek, early, and you spend 2 hours 1 hour return, 1 hour there you can be back at Tuol Sleng by about 9:30-10.

I teamed up with another couple and we hired a tuk-tuk to go to Choeung Ek (wait for us) and return us to Tuol Sleng. We paid a fixed price. Where we stayed there were several tuk-tuk's parked outside. At Tuol Sleng, we advised the driver how long we'd be, and negotiated a price, but said we were OK if he took another job as we could readily get another (which we did).

In the afternoon of that day, we explored the National Museum and the Royal Palace. After the brutality museums, the affluence expended in the Royal Palace made for challenging thinking!!!

- - - -

You can use a bicycle, but some of the more interesting temples are far too far for a bicycle ("especially for a lazy unenergetic boyfriend"!!!

Correct, no motorbikes at Siem Reap.

I had consulted the Angkor Temples section of Lonely Planet and worked out a sequence for looking at the temples (from early beginnings to late developments, but largely skipping those sites that merely had a pile of blocks rather than a reasonably erect structure).

I printed the 'agenda' on a piece of paper and talked to a couple of tuk-tuk drivers as to what they would charge, the time to start (I wanted to start at 6am so as to avoid crowds, and be at places where the main herd didn't go during the 10-12 and 2-4 hours), and the time to finish (they want to do things as well). We tended to stop for drinks / lunch when everyone else was 'templing'.

I selected a driver that appeared OK. I had LP, but also bought a book from one of the vendors that detailed the temples (rrp $30, negotiated buy price $3). The driver would talk such that I knew he knew the facts, but he wouldn't be a guide (that would cost me more.

In several temples, when I encountered bus groups with a guide, I became fascinated with what the guide was saying. In most cases, the guide was merely repeating what was in the book that I'd bought!!!

I negotiated with the driver to pay him 50% of the day fee each evening, and the balance at the end. At the end of the first day, the driver said {i]"I can't come tomorrow, but I have my friend instead. I won't take money today, but you pay my friend in full tomorrow".{/i]

I found that if I was honest and up-front in the beginning, things went smoothly along the way. And, though I did change the plan/route twice, I discussed it with him first so that he was OK with it. When I changed the plan, I made a new list. The driver on the second day initially didn't want to follow my plan (it involved driving some distance, so fuel costs were higher). I explained the agreement, and said to him I'll pay for 2 litres of fuel that appeased him, and I took the fuel price out of the original drivers' money (that discussion was a little heated, but...).

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 3/7/2009 - 06:00

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi,
    With regard to Angkor Wat. Tuk Tuks will charge between 10 -15$ for a day, more each day if you want 3 days (as they will use more petrol days 2 & 3). But as said, they are not guides, they only drive you around, normally on the well documented mini route (1 day) or well documented large route (3 days). You will need the same negiotating skills as Bruce Moon to get them to agree to your own route!! Also, I was offered an air con car for 20$ one day.

As it's low season you can negoitate deals,in fact a 3 day pass is available for 40$ rather than 60 at the moment. Bearing in mind that the 3 days must be consectative, it will be a hard 3 days!

You can use push bikes but that would be only for the mini route, unless you are very keen cyclists, and then it would not be possible to reach some temples. Personlly, after 1 day I would not have looked forward to cycling back!

Don't be too quick to accept the first car or tuk tuk that offers it's services; just walking around the town is enough to recieve half a dozen unsolicted offers of tours. It's low season their open to offers!

It's worth it !
    Mike

#5 Posted: 5/7/2009 - 10:37

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Mike

You wrote "Bearing in mind that the 3 days must be consectative, it will be a hard 3 days!"

I understand that the pass is now 3 days out of 5. So, that gives the purchaser an opportunity to do other things.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 5/7/2009 - 14:20

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

As per BruceMoon -- the Angkor Pass need to longer be used on consecutive days.

Mike, are you suggested the price of the Angkor pass is negotiable? First I've heard of this...

#7 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 07:18

• mikethediver

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand

Hi Somtam,
    I didn't intend to say that the entrance fee to Angkor was negotiable, but that the low season has changed the price from 20 to 40 $. Not sure how long it will last, I will make some inquiries as I am here and write back.
    Mike

#8 Posted: 7/7/2009 - 13:35

• mikethediver

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand

Hi Somtam,
    I didn't intend to say that the entrance fee to Angkor was negotiable, but that the low season has changed the price from 20 to 40 $. Not sure how long it will last, I will make some inquiries as I am here and write back.
    Mike

#9 Posted: 7/7/2009 - 13:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
29 y/o Male from States solo Feb 15th thru Mar 15th ... By jbreezy on 23 Dec 2010 0 1497 23 Dec 2010