Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

bring laptop to cambodia???

• jmdma808

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009

is it ok to bring my laptop with me to cambodia? i really need it for my trip. ill be backpacking through thailand, laos cambodia and making a quick stop in kuala lumpur so my pc is how i keep in touch with everybody. im staying at a guesthouse in laos for about $20 a night and probably will do the same in cambodia. just wondering if its safe to leave my pc in the room or if there is any other way i can secure it.

#1 Posted: 25/6/2009 - 21:25

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Personally, I wouldn't bring my laptop to Cambodia. Also, I really wouldn't leave it in a guesthouse/hotel room anywhere in Cambodia, or Thailand, Vietnam or Laos for that matter, unless I really got the feeling that the place was secure. Even then, I'd be worried b/c the maids in those places make something like $50/month... When given the opportunity to take something worth more than a full year's salary from a tourist who they most likely deem to be filthy rich in comparison, could you really blame them?

That said, if the guesthouse has a safe you could leave it with the front desk. Again, just make sure the place is legit, and also make sure to get something in writing saying they will be responsible should anything happen to it. Virtually every hotel/guesthouse I've stayed at in SE Asia has some sort of sign saying they will not be responsible for anything left in a room, so I just wouldn't do it, at least not on a regular basis.

When I faced a similar predicament I left it somewhere I knew was secure in Bangkok. Cambodia's just so poor and has so much more theft and such extreme poverty than Thailand, plus so little police presence. I just didn't feel comfortable bringing my laptop with me.

I just finished a 5 month trip without my computer for the whole time and I had no trouble staying in touch with people daily through internet cafes and guesthouse computres. For me, laptop is too much of a worry.

But that's just me.

#2 Posted: 26/6/2009 - 03:39

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

#3 Posted: 26/6/2009 - 13:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Need advice: Should I bring my laptop? ... By OishiiEats on 30 Jul 2007 1 1815 1 Aug 2007