Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

thoughts on malaria pills and japanese Encephilitis vaccine

• jmdma808

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009

sorry to post multiple threads but i have some valid questions. im backpacking through laos and cambodia in august and some websites ive looked at recommend malaria pills. specifically Either mefloquine (Lariam) or atovaquone/proguanil (Malarone)(PDF). i have heard the pills can make you really sick too. im going to luang prabang laos and probably angkor waht and phnome penh. do i need these? are they worth the risk? also the JE vaccine. my doctor told me it is a very safe vaccine with little risk so why not just get it? thoughts....

#1 Posted: 25/6/2009 - 21:30

• Advertisement

• sacredchao

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009

In some parts of Cambodia, the disease has become mefloquine resistant.

I just started taking doxycycline yesterday. I'm a little worried about the increased sunburn potential, but I figure some sunscreen will help with that. It also helps you resist some stomach bugs.

More info:
    http://www.travelfish.org/feature/95

#2 Posted: 26/6/2009 - 06:03

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

jmdma808

Clearly you didn't read my posts on malaria here on Travelfish.

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/cambodia/6438_mosquito-repellant-advice

or, my comments half way down on:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/travelhealth/4057_malaria-tablets

Only a fear driven imbecile would believe everything doctors (who are merely the agents of chemical companies) would tell them.

If you have a medical problem, go consult a doctor for ADVICE - not direction.

Malaria is NOT a medical problem till you get it. And, likely as not, the places you'll be going you won't be exposed sufficient to get it.

There is no drug precaution for Japanese Encephalitis. There are 2 vaccines - one of which has been withdrawn from the market, and the other is has only a very narrow range of countries with availability (ask as to why...). So, what are you going to do now? Stay home?

The best advice for you is get a pack of Malarone - in case you were the unluckiest person and got malaria. It would help to wear long sleeves, and long pants as a precaution. And use Picaradin bug repellant.

- - - - -

sacredchao

You quote Travelfish #feature/95, great. Did you read where it says:

To quote the WHO: "No antimalarial prophylactic regimen gives complete protection". Malarials do not protect you 100% from malaria, ...This is certainly the case with doxycycline.

Maybe you might think again.

For anyone else, go type in 'malaria' in the Search Travelfish box in the upper left of this page (in the grey area), and read the threads.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 26/6/2009 - 13:49

• jmdma808

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009

BruceMoon- thanks for the information, no thanks for the attitude. I honestly didnt know that doctors were the agents of chemical companies. so please forgive me.

#4 Posted: 26/6/2009 - 19:24

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You may have seen it already, but there is a malaria story in the features section here: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/95

Given where you are going, if it was me, I wouldn't take the meds. Instead I'd follow general prevention methods to avoid being bitten (use repellent, burn mozzie coils, wear clothes that cover arms and legs, don't sleep maked in a swamp). This comes with the added bonus of protecting you against dengue fever -- which is far more of a risk, and for which there are no meds.

Hope that helps!

#5 Posted: 26/6/2009 - 19:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
japanese encephalitis vaccine in hong kong ... By laughingbuddha on 1 Dec 2011 3 2546 29 Dec 2011
Are Malaria pills that important? ... By yayo12 on 21 Jun 2007 8 8406 1 Feb 2008