Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

thoughts on malaria pills and japanese Encephilitis vaccine

Posted by jmdma808 on 25/6/2009 at 21:30

sorry to post multiple threads but i have some valid questions. im backpacking through laos and cambodia in august and some websites ive looked at recommend malaria pills. specifically Either mefloquine (Lariam) or atovaquone/proguanil (Malarone)(PDF). i have heard the pills can make you really sick too. im going to luang prabang laos and probably angkor waht and phnome penh. do i need these? are they worth the risk? also the JE vaccine. my doctor told me it is a very safe vaccine with little risk so why not just get it? thoughts....

#1 jmdma808 has been a member since 16/6/2009. Posts: 14

Posted by sacredchao on 26/6/2009 at 06:03

In some parts of Cambodia, the disease has become mefloquine resistant.

I just started taking doxycycline yesterday. I'm a little worried about the increased sunburn potential, but I figure some sunscreen will help with that. It also helps you resist some stomach bugs.

More info:
http://www.travelfish.org/feature/95

#2 sacredchao has been a member since 12/6/2009. Posts: 10

Posted by BruceMoon on 26/6/2009 at 13:49

jmdma808

Clearly you didn't read my posts on malaria here on Travelfish.

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/cambodia/6438_mosquito-repellant-advice

or, my comments half way down on:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/travelhealth/4057_malaria-tablets

Only a fear driven imbecile would believe everything doctors (who are merely the agents of chemical companies) would tell them.

If you have a medical problem, go consult a doctor for ADVICE - not direction.

Malaria is NOT a medical problem till you get it. And, likely as not, the places you'll be going you won't be exposed sufficient to get it.

There is no drug precaution for Japanese Encephalitis. There are 2 vaccines - one of which has been withdrawn from the market, and the other is has only a very narrow range of countries with availability (ask as to why...). So, what are you going to do now? Stay home?

The best advice for you is get a pack of Malarone - in case you were the unluckiest person and got malaria. It would help to wear long sleeves, and long pants as a precaution. And use Picaradin bug repellant.

- - - - -

sacredchao

You quote Travelfish #feature/95, great. Did you read where it says:

To quote the WHO: "No antimalarial prophylactic regimen gives complete protection". Malarials do not protect you 100% from malaria, ...This is certainly the case with doxycycline.

Maybe you might think again.

For anyone else, go type in 'malaria' in the Search Travelfish box in the upper left of this page (in the grey area), and read the threads.

Cheers

#3 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by jmdma808 on 26/6/2009 at 19:24

BruceMoon- thanks for the information, no thanks for the attitude. I honestly didnt know that doctors were the agents of chemical companies. so please forgive me.

#4 jmdma808 has been a member since 16/6/2009. Posts: 14

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/6/2009 at 19:44 admin

You may have seen it already, but there is a malaria story in the features section here: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/95

Given where you are going, if it was me, I wouldn't take the meds. Instead I'd follow general prevention methods to avoid being bitten (use repellent, burn mozzie coils, wear clothes that cover arms and legs, don't sleep maked in a swamp). This comes with the added bonus of protecting you against dengue fever -- which is far more of a risk, and for which there are no meds.

Hope that helps!

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.