Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

scam warning for Stung Treng

• tazgirl

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2009

I just came across the border from Laos into Cambodia, stopping for a night in Stung Treng . There aren't many places to get travel advice in ST, so when a Mr Kosal said he could sell me a ticket to Siem Reap via Khompong Cham for $25, I took him up on it. But then it turned out that his "friend" who made the booking had made it from Phnom Penh to SR, so then I had to pay the extra to get from KC to PP ($5). I was aware I was being scammed, but didn't have much choice. I was told that the "friend", a Mr Phanna, would meet me at the bus station in PP and take me to his guesthouse and deliver me to the busstation the next morning for the PP-SR leg. Mr Phanna didn't meet me at the bus station. I made my own way to a guesthouse of my choosing (the Spring GH - very nice) and then contacted Mr Kosal. He told me to go to #10 Lakeside GH and find Mr Phanna and get my ticket for the PP-SR bus. When I got there Mr Phanna was getting ready for a party and kept me waiting for an hour until I bugged him enough and he finally gave me my ticket.

When I got to Spring GH I discovered that the fare from Stung Treng to Siem Reap is usually only $23 US.

Mr Kosal wasn't all bad - he took me on a moto tour of Stung Treng for free and delivered me to a lovely guesthouse (after I said I wouldn't stay in his). But he told me that the only ATMs in the country were in PP (not true) and therefore I felt I had to make the trip there. And he told me he was going to be in the next edition of Lonely Planet. Of course,this scam could have easily been avoided if I'd done some research before, but I'm travelling on my own and you can't research everything.

So just letting you know of a couple of people to be wary of in Cambodia.

#1 Posted: 4/7/2009 - 10:06

• Advertisement

• brendadnyc

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2009

Hello Tazgirl, sorry to hear the process was difficult. I need to do the same trip Stung Treng to Siem Reap in October. How long does the trip take? Do you think there is a better option?
    Best, Brenda

#2 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 17:33

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

I think the easiest way would be to just to take a bus (Sorya at least does that route) from Stung Treng to Kompong Cham and another one from there to Siem Reap. Unless you want to go to Phnom Penh that is. Either way, you'll probably need to spend the night unless you go for a share taxi, as I don't think there are buses from KC to SR later in the afternoon. In any case, there's no need to pre-book the second leg, just get a ticket when you arrive in KC or PP.

#3 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 18:22

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi guys,
    I was traveling this route a few months ago and a scam was running then. If you are coming from Loas, get a ticket to, and stay the night, at Kratie , rather than Stung Treng. It's not a bad place, cheap guesthouses and good food. From here there are daily buses all the way to Siam Reap for 5 or 6 US$. (There is a change of bus, but it all goes smoothly, and you don't have to go to Phnom Penn).

You can even see the dolphins here as well.

The bus drivers on the Cambodia side will try and talk you out of this and sell you ticket to reach SR the same day! Don't do it. All the buses will stop at Kratie for a prolonged lunch anyway.

#4 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 17:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Stung Treng to SR ... By kramiro on 18 Jun 2013 2 1079 19 Jun 2013
Best way to Stung Treng? ... By smkuchta on 5 May 2009 2 3302 6 May 2009
stung treng / rattanakiri ... By vetsnl on 11 Sep 2008 0 2178 11 Sep 2008
Stung Treng updated ... By somtam2000 on 18 Aug 2009 0 3008 18 Aug 2009
best accomodation in stung treng? ... By fishtails04 on 8 Feb 2008 1 2905 9 Feb 2008
Getting from Siem to Stung Treng ... By jeeeebus on 14 Apr 2013 2 1465 16 Apr 2013
Stung Treng to Ratanakiri? ... By jamesdueeast on 13 Mar 2013 2 1650 16 Mar 2013
Stung Treng or Kratie for dolphins? ... By MamaH on 11 Jan 2011 3 3711 17 Jan 2011
stung treng - siem reap ... By tarzan156 on 17 Apr 2010 7 6803 16 Sep 2010
How to get from Siem Reap to Stung Treng then Laos ... By vickstar on 29 Sep 2008 2 7073 6 Dec 2009