Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Ho Chi Min to Angkor Wat and back...

• mizsarah

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2009

I have been told the easiest (but still affordable) way to get to Angkor Wat from Vietnam (HCM) is to book through a tour? I have about two weeks to decide what to do with. But I am not that interested in that necessarily. I am a teacher on a budget and also a person traveling alone and female. Any pointers on getting from HCM to Angkor Wat?

#1 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 01:20

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

sarah

The simple answer is that you can do yourself. But, to demonstrate, I'll explain...

Angkor Wat is one of literally dozens of temples in the World heritage Area known as Angkor.

The area is a 5 minute drive from the Cambodian city of Siem Reap .

Most people that visit the Angkorian temples read up on the subject and have a rough idea of what temples they want to see, and how long they want to spend looking at temples.

Information on the temples online, go here:

http://www.travelfish.org/sights/cambodia/western_cambodia/siem_reap/angkor

For a text, try the Lonely Planet text 'Cambodia'.

Entry to the Angkor area is by pass, purchased in either 1 day, 3 day (but can be used over 5 days) or more.

There are other worthwhile things to do/see in/around Siem Reap. On this, look at:

http://www.travelfish.org/location/cambodia/western_cambodia/siem_reap/siem_reap

- - -

To your question...

No, you don't need to go on a tour.

If you are concerned about getting lost in the Angkor complex, you can readily hire an English speaking guide at Siem Reap.

If you want to travel around the Angkor temples on your own, it is best to hire a tuk-tuk with driver (for about US$15/day). The drivers are licensed to enter the area, and know the routres very very well.

To get from HaNoi to Siem Reap

You can fly with Vietnam Airlines, which does the link with a stopover in Saigon and costs around US$250.

You can fly from HaNoi to Bangkok with AirAsia (about US$30), and from Bangkok to Siem Reap with Bangkok Airlines (about US$150).

You can also fly with AirAsia via Kuala Lumpur, but this needs a day-over in KL.

- - -

A single woman travelling alone already knows the dangers and is aware to keep safe. SE Asia generally is a safe area for women travellers (I have encountered many). In Siem Reap, you'll possibly find more problems with western males than with the locals: so, take that in mind when going to the nightspots.

If you choose guesthouses from the Travelfish list, you'll probably encounter like minded souls who are happy for you to join them.

For accommodation in Siem Reap go to:

http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation/cambodia/western_cambodia/siem_reap/siem_reap/all

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 06:23

• mizsarah

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2009

Thanks for your reply... I am actually trying to get from Saigon (Ho Chi Min City) to Siem Reap.

Any thoughts on that? Is there a direct bus or anything? Or just flying?

#3 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 06:27

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

mizsarah

You can go 3 ways:

1/.

Fly direct by Vietnam Air.

2/.

Bus from Saigon to Phnom Penh , overnight (or more) at Phnom Penh, and a bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap . The bus Siagon - PP is about US$12 (I think), the bus PP - SR is US$10 (5 hours, leaves about 9am).

On this, I've heard there's a night bus from Saigon to PP, but I don't know what times (I'd not do).

3/. Bus/boat from Saigon to PP - it goes down into the Mekong Delta area, you stay the night at Chau Doc, and a boat takes you along the Mekong to near PP, where you get onto a minibus to PP.

Then the Capitol (or similar) bus to Siem Reap (about US$10).

Cheers

#4 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 09:38

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Oh, sorry

There's also a boat that leaves PP for SR, it costs US$150 and travels along Tonle Sap. I doubt you'd see much other than water.

ps. I apologise for misreading HaNoi.

Oh, Vietnam Airlines SaiGon - Siem Reap is about US$177.

Cambodian Airlines also do, but I don't know the price. And, Siem Reap International also do, but I think they're a bit more expensive.

Jetstar advertise they do, but I can't pick up flight details. Maybe you could contact them to see if they really do it. They'll be cheaper.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 09:48

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

Just to echo brucemoon, I concur that you do not need to go to Angkor/ Siem Reap on a tour and I would recommend against doing so. Buses from HCMC to Siem Reap are pretty easy and quick and safe. I was travelling with my partner, but would do it as a solo woman.
    brucemoon has covered the practical points (thanks!) but I just wanted to chime in with my agreement.

#6 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 06:11

• hippytrip

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2009

Just to add to this I enquired about Jet star from Singapore to SR alothough they say they fly there twice a day all services have been canceled

#7 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 11:46

• Iroquois

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2009

There are also direct buses from HCMC to Siam Reap, taking about 10 hours, right?

#8 Posted: 19/7/2009 - 18:25

• mizsarah

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thanks everyone!

Do you think I need to buy a bus ticket from HCM to PP in advance of the day I want to go?

And... does anyone have a rec for a place to stay overnight in PP that does not have mediocre recs and talk about lecherous men and rats? I am not a fan of rats near me while sleeping. I don't have a sense of prices, but I am guessing around $10-15 dollars US?

#9 Posted: 21/7/2009 - 23:10

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Sarah

If you book with Sinh Cafe (www.sinhcafevn.com) directly - either on line or at one of their shops, they'll drop you at a reasonable GH, central, OK price, etc. For me, it saved all the hassles.

Cheers

#10 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 06:56

• Advertisement

• luziaf00

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

hi guys,

im going to siem reap for the angkor wat marathon...how long is the journey from HCMC to seim reap...do i need to change busses along the way?

#11 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 14:16

• LD84

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2009

When are you going? I'm planning something similar in mid-November. Still not sure which route to take though! Guess I will decide when i get there. Have fun!

#12 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 19:04

• ROCCO

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2010

my girlfriend and I are going to be landing in ho chi mihn soon-like 2 days or something. we are bouncing around to get cheap flights... Anyway we are interested in going to ankor wat and would like to do so as cheap as possible, but also with a bit of adventure. I was wondering about the boat/mini bus option. what are the prices to pp? from a quick read of the above it sounds like the boat trip through the mk delta is good, then the rest of the trip from pp to sr might be best done via land. any ideas on how much and how to book. we are then planning to make out way up to loas, then over to hanoi and back down to ho chi mihn via land and beach....
    any all help is appreciated
    cheers

#13 Posted: 8/7/2010 - 06:21

• ROCCO

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2010

my girlfriend and I are going to be landing in ho chi mihn soon-like 2 days or something. we are bouncing around to get cheap flights... Anyway we are interested in going to ankor wat and would like to do so as cheap as possible, but also with a bit of adventure. I was wondering about the boat/mini bus option. what are the prices to pp? from a quick read of the above it sounds like the boat trip through the mk delta is good, then the rest of the trip from pp to sr might be best done via land. any ideas on how much and how to book. we are then planning to make out way up to loas, then over to hanoi and back down to ho chi mihn via land and beach....
    any all help is appreciated
    cheers

#14 Posted: 8/7/2010 - 06:22

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Yes, the boat trip the the Mekong Delta area is nice - and it's a pleasant way to travel.

Not sure about a mini-bus from HCMC to PP, but the boat from Chau Doc to PP was about $18-$20 (5-6 hours?)by memory, and a bus from PP to Siem Reap is about $5 (5-6 hours). So you just need to get from HCMC to Chau Doc (probably only a few dollars on a bus).

They will hopefully help you gauge the cost/value of an all-inclusive combined minibus/boat trip.

If you want to do it yourself in stages, you will easily find agents to book the Chau Doc-PP boat trip in Chau Doc, and the PP-SR bus trip can be easily booked from any of the agents set up along the river in PP.

Might be easiest to just ask at your HCMC hotel to find out what an approx cost is. You don't need to book through them, of course, but it'll give you an idea of cost.

#15 Posted: 8/7/2010 - 07:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.