Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Trekking in Southern Cambodia

• womble86

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Been planing my SE Asia trip for a while now and stumbled across this magnificent website. Wish I'd found it earlier!

Can anyone recommend any decent trekking in southern Cambodia?

I plan to get there in mid November, go straight to Ankor and then go down south to Sihanoukville to chill for a few weeks and would like to take in some of the scenery instead of just lying about in a hammock! What I am after is something a little more intense than the usual half day walks. Maybe 4 - 5 day overnighters in rainforest / national parks.

Last year I took part in a bio-diversity study in the Cardamon Mountains and Botum Sakor so don't really want to go back there....

Any suggestions are most welcome!!

#1 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 20:26

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

In southern Cambodia very slim pickings. The only "trekking" I'm aware of (and I'm using the term very liberally!) is walks through the national park in Kep.

The Cardamons would have been my immediate recommendation -- but you've been there already... which part?

We will be running a story later this week on Rainbow Lodge -- an interesting place to stay in Ko Kong and I believe they run some boating and trekking trips... Story will be online on Wednesday.

Only other suggestion would be Virachay National Park in Rattanakiri, but that's north Cambodia!

#2 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 05:54

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

womble

I can't add to Somtam, though I'll offer a different slant...

But first:

(and this is as much a statement for anyone reading here as you)...

It is probably wise to remind that many areas of Cambodia (and Laos & Thailand for that matter) are still inundated with land mines and unexploded bombs.

Second, a suggestion:

I appreciate that we anglo-saxons tend to like to trek/backpack/etc., in natural areas so head for national parks, etc..

But, many parts of SE Asia don't see too many tourists, are a series of sleepy little rural villages dotted amongst scenic agriculture, and more than often the villagers are very hospitable. So, it may be that you can go trekking up the by-ways of rural Cambodia and enjoy yourself immensely.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 06:23

• womble86

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Somtam and Bruce,

Many thank for your input. Looks like I will be just lying about in a hammock down south then. It will give me a chance to finally read War and Peace!

Somtam - we were based on the banks of the Areng river in Koh Kong Province. The nearest village was the Thmar Daun Pouv Commune, about a 4k trek from our base camp. I think i will venture back that way then if there are no other decent places to walk...

Bruce - very good point about the land mines and bombs. I have seen first hand the damage they have caused to the population and it is something all travellers should be aware of when visiting SE Asian countries (seeing as it was the West that put most of them there!)

I like your idea of trekking through rural Cambodia. I found the villagers we met in Thmar Daun Pouv to be very friendly and always smiling! The amount of jack fruit we were given by them slowed down our walk back to base camp considerably! Hopefully I will meet up with some other like minded people when I get to Cambodia who want to do the same.

Thanks again for your help!!

#4 Posted: 20/7/2009 - 20:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.