Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Bangkok to Siem Reap by Rent-A-Car - Is this possible and feasible?

• sriknine

Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2009

Hi,
    Last I was in Thailand in 2005 Id rented a car from Avis and driven down to Rayong & Pattaya. Found the flexibility to my liking and loved the wll-made roads.
    Im planning another trip to Thailand, and this time wanted to visit Angkor Wat.
    Given the road from Poipet to Siem Reap is now laid out, would renting a car and driving from Bangkok to Siem Reap be a feasible option? What are the downsides (Im assuming there would be some)? Is Cambodia 'safe' to drive without a local on board?
    Thanks,
    Doc

#1 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 17:05

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

No problems driving in Cambodia without a local on board, but you won't be permitted to take a rental over the border -- so that will be a major issue.

#2 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 17:38

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

sriknine

What Somtam says is correct, except that...

I rented with Avis about 2 years ago. I asked whether I could take the car to Cambodia to go to Siem Reap. I was told I could, provided I met several conditions. One of the conditions was a price i didn't want to pay.

I know one needs 'identity' papers, as well as car ownership papers to go across the border.

So, if you think the idea worth pursuing, try google-ing 'car rental Thailand' and contacting the various companies to see what they say.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 18:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Trip advice - Bangkok - Siem Reap - Ko Mak - Bangkok ... By JessandScott on 13 Jan 2009 13 5168 28 Jun 2010
Battambang to Bangkok or Siem Reap to Bangkok ... By tinoh on 19 Feb 2010 4 7369 17 Sep 2010