admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just a quick note that I've updated the Bangkok to Siem Reap overland story, to reflect the change in the road situation there. Story is here: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/71

Basically, the road from Poipet to Siem Reap is now totally sealed and the trip can take as little as one and a half hours by share taxi.

This also means it is far easier to do Siem Reap to Bangkok or Siem Reap to Ko Chang in a day.

Cheers

#1 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 14:38

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Somtam

I looked at the update - there is a prejudice that warrants alteration.

On the subject of flying BKK - Siem reap, you cite only Bangkok Airways. Rightly, you point out that Bangkok Airways is expensive. At US$170 (cheapest) you are correct.

I suggest that you should also make reference to an airline that does the trip for half the price.

Not only might travellers be interested, but the airline happens to be a sponsor of Travelfish.

AirAsia does the BKK/KL/SR route for US$90 (and you get a night at KL).

Cheers

#2 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 17:18

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

AirAsia don't fly it direct.

Also the KUL/REP flight leaves at the crack of dawn (well 7am) which means if you're planning on coming down from Bangkok for the connection you need to overnight in KL/sleep at the airport.

Bangkok Airways has long had the monopoly on the route -- the monopoly has often been suggested by some as the real reason why the road stayed in such a crappy state for so long -- in many people's opinion it is not a coincidence that the road has been completed in the same year that the monopoly will finish.

#3 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 17:48

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

The BKK- SR monopoly will be finished this year? Are there any hints which other airlines might be flying that route yet?

#4 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 19:54

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Somtam

AirAsia don't fly it direct.

When I wrote "AirAsia does the BKK/KL/SR route for US$90 (and you get a night at KL). I thought that was obvious.

I just felt that providing an alternative to an expensive fly would not only reinforce your point of expensiveness, but signal to readers that AirAsia provides alternatives that MAY be worthwhile considering.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 08:12

• scotters

Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2009

Another alternative to road transportation from Bangkok is to fly Air Asia to Phnom Penh in the afternoon and then catch a flight to Siem reap in the same afternoon. Cost will be around $95 by using the new Cambodia airline, Cambodia Angkor Air http://www.cambodiaangkorair.com/

#6 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 04:08

• 4tindoors

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2009

It looks like Angkor Air stops making trips to Siem Reap, when I need it too. (in Nov.) I don't much like the idea of staying at the airport in Malaysia, and refuse to spend the amount that Bangkok Airways is charging, is there a more direct overland route from Sukhothai to Siem Reap??

Thank you BruceMoon for directing me to this thread.

#7 Posted: 30/8/2009 - 11:53

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

4tindoors

Maybe not all over...

I looked at 5 November to 'test':

BKK > REP (siem reap) Bangkok Air = US$207.

BKK > PNH (pp) Air Asia US$79
    PNH > REP Bangkok Air US$79

So, direct = US$207, via PP = US$158.

This better on the budget?

Cheers

#8 Posted: 30/8/2009 - 12:04

• pajero

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2009

We (2) are planning to be in Asia in mid October

We arrive in Bangkok at 2:00 PM and are scheduled to be in Siem Reap, Monday and Tuesday nights. This leaves us all of Tuesday for touring.

On Wednesday we fly to Hanoi.

The thought was instead of hanging around the airport till our flight to SR took place...some 3 hours. A door to door taxi would be more interesting, probably cheaper, less hassle and maybe the same time frame.

What do you think?

David

#9 Posted: 6/9/2009 - 01:36

• pajero

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2009

We arrive in Bangkok at 2:00 PM and are scheduled to be in Siem Reap, Monday and Tuesday nights. This leaves us all of Tuesday for touring.

The thought was instead of hanging around the airport till our flight to SR took place...some 3 hours. A door to door taxi would be more interesting, probably cheaper, less hassle and maybe the same time frame.

What do you think?

David

#10 Posted: 6/9/2009 - 01:37

• Advertisement

• pajero

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2009

What do you think?

David

#11 Posted: 6/9/2009 - 01:37

• 4tindoors

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2009

BruceMoon again, thank you for your reply. I'm flying the route you suggested and will make the journey overland on the return. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

#12 Posted: 6/9/2009 - 08:43

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

pajero

My understanding is that flights to an international destination obligate the pax to check in some 2 hours prior, and some [ci]close off about an hour to hour and a half prior to departure. If you only have 3 hours between flights, that doesn't leave you much time.

Contributors here (TF) say that the road to the city from the (international) airport can be gridlocked, and well more than an hour (at the best of times).

My recollection of the airport environs was that there isn't a lot of hey, look at that sort of stuff.

Regarding Siem Reap (Angkor) also read this post - it may assist.

Cheers

#13 Posted: 6/9/2009 - 09:06

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Pajero
    Easy enough to get a taxi from Suvannabhumi to Aryan, cross and get another in Cambodia.I guess with the new road in Cam the trip will take you approx 6 hours+ and cost about 5000 bht.But be warned it is not a scenic trip.By the way do you know what pajero means in Spanish?

#14 Posted: 6/9/2009 - 22:53

• Missis

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Hello

We are planning to do the trip from Siem Reap to Bangkok, can anyone advise on how long the bus journey is likely to take and the cost? I am assuming that we can arrange tickets when we are in Siem Reap.

#15 Posted: 7/9/2009 - 02:22

• Missis

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Ignore the above post, I have just realised I have asked the same question before! I am still curious on price and if there are the same sort of scams as there are from BK to Cambodia?

Thanks

#16 Posted: 7/9/2009 - 04:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Siem Reap to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Overland ... By boyohboy100 on 17 Nov 2010 1 4139 18 Nov 2010
Bangkok to Siem Reap overland with two young children ... By lolarosaliu on 19 Jan 2011 5 3505 22 Jan 2011
Siem Reap to Bangkok overland: are there companies to book the entire journey? ... By smillertime78 on 27 Feb 2011 8 4635 30 Mar 2011
Updated Siem Reap Guide ... By somtam2000 on 28 Dec 2009 0 4012 28 Dec 2009
Hue / Hoi An or Mekong - Siem Reap overland? ... By sunday_stroll on 19 Dec 2011 2 3647 19 Dec 2011
Overland - Vientiane to Siem Reap ... By mangie on 16 Nov 2006 19 39327 21 Oct 2011
Phu Quoc - Siem Reap Overland- fast & cheap! ... By Isobel_123 on 9 Jan 2009 1 3460 9 Jan 2009
Overland from Thailand to Siem Reap in rainy season ... By exacto on 12 Feb 2006 2 2702 14 Feb 2006
Trip advice - Bangkok - Siem Reap - Ko Mak - Bangkok ... By JessandScott on 13 Jan 2009 13 5169 28 Jun 2010
Battambang to Bangkok or Siem Reap to Bangkok ... By tinoh on 19 Feb 2010 4 7370 17 Sep 2010