Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Siem Reap Airport Surcharge

• pabloeskimo

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

If you want to leave Siem Reap by air, be ready to pay 25$ per person. They got some service tax you have to pay to get into customs this cost is not covered by your ticket.

I had a great time in Cambodia but left with a bad aftertaste because of this scam.

#1 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 17:42

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Yes! Exaclty the same here.

My family also left the airport with a feeling of 'Scamming bastards' too.

But i tell you want, noting like the feeling I had getting the KSR Bus! lol ;)

#2 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 19:17

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

ah bollox, sorry you know whats its meant to say.

#3 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 19:23

• tails101

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

Don't visit New Zealand then - you'll be left with the same feeling!

I don't think it's a scam rather than a difference in airline ticketing policy. The airport departure tax isn't included in the ticket price that you have paid and so has to be paid upon departure... They have the same system in New Zealand, Laos (I think - at least last time I visited in 2006) and Thailand used to operate the same system (500B had to be paid before you were allowed out the country). For some reason these countries prefers to collect the departure tax directly from the passenger rather than through the airlines.

I actually think Cambodia now include the domestic departure tax in ticket prices, but the international one still has to be paid upon departure. The Air Asia website states this when you try and book tickets from Cambodia with regard to their all-in fare: "*Not applicable for flights departing Indonesia, Cambodia and Philippines, as Airport Tax is paid separately before departure."

Cheers
    Mark.

#4 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 19:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Siem Reap Airport ... By Peeter on 20 Mar 2011 1 2850 20 Mar 2011
siem reap to bangkok airport ... By barkelleher on 3 Mar 2013 2 1807 21 Mar 2013
Cab from Siem Reap airport into town ... By StreetSpirit13 on 13 Nov 2010 2 4962 15 Nov 2010
Siem Reap to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport over land ... By sreid9 on 13 Dec 2008 16 10725 22 Oct 2010
cambodian visa from Siem Reap Intl Airport - how long does it take ... By lindaparry on 3 Oct 2007 2 5187 3 Oct 2007