Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

apsara dancers at ankor temples?

• buecax

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2009

hi,

i´ve seen a few pictures of apsara dancers posing in front of the temples at angkor.

are they there to pose for tourist photos - or were these pictures staged just for the guide books i saw them in?

i googled a bit and only found references to a sound and light show (which doesn´t seem to be on anymore).

has anybody been recently been to angkor and share their experiences?

thanks!
    axel

#1 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 19:49

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I've never seen live apsaras -- would assume they'd be restricted to special events, festivals etc -- yup the sound and light show is cactus.

#2 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 09:05

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Been to Angkot a couple of times myself and never saw them in the flesh, but, they are in stone everywhere! ;)

#3 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 15:05

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

axel

They are there, but it's a 'show' for tourists.

When visiting Angkor Wat last year, several dancers in magnificent costumes and head attire had congregated inside the entrance.

I learnt that they were to do a performance for the night 'entry' tourists.

My understanding is that there is a night-time 'show' that one pays an additional entry fee, and the dancers perform at this. But, the night-time 'show' only occurs in the dry season.

Go check out this .

Cheers

#4 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 07:35

• marigeri

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2006

yes they just kind of advertisement for the tourist;
    you can see them in the temple but they are not dancing they are just in costums;
    if you really want to see apsara dancing; you have some place in town; it s between 10 or 25 dollars; all depends on the food; it s a buffet and a show only for tourist:
    Avoid completly jasmine restaurant the show is the worst show ever; everything cheap; kulen pi or mondial are better: it s 10 dollars if you book in some guesthouse; but they usually charged 12 dollars in the restaurant itself:
    if you just curious look at temple bar; at night during dinner, one girl
    is dancing;

#5 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 05:59

• muzza

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2009

Axel
    I concur with the others I have beeen to Anchor a couple of times, having today returned from the last I can tell you that live dancers dont appear at the temples this time of the year and unless you pay big bucks for the dinner dance in town you see nothing. The up market shows are said to be ok but I would not waste my $s, go and see the real thing on the walls of the tempels. Magnificant.
    Muzza

#6 Posted: 27/9/2009 - 18:32

• lennybruce

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2008
    Location Netherlands

There is an annual extravagant night time sound and light show on the western causeway of Angkor Wat. This year it is from December 16, 2009 – February 27, 2010. I put an article about it on my Cambodia-related weblog at http://angkortuktuk.wordpress.com/2009/08/24/the-legend-of-angkor-wat/.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 29/9/2009 - 23:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.