Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

traveling by bus in cambodia

Posted by sinstone on 16/8/2009 at 20:54

is it safe to book a bus with my GHes? any scams exist here? any companies preferred over others?

signed, a guy who got robbed in thailand

#1 sinstone has been a member since 5/7/2009. Posts: 20

Posted by BruceMoon on 18/8/2009 at 07:39

sinstone

Depending on where you start/finish, in most cases its cheaper to book through the actual bus provider.

While most GH's offer the service to profit, and the convenience is helpful, if there is a fear over being 'robbed', then satisfaction will accrue by taking responsibility for one's own destiney.

As for 'good' companies, again, depends on where you plan to travel. Try looking up the departuyre/destination and the term 'bus' in the Search Travelfish box above.

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by sayadian on 20/8/2009 at 15:53

Never had any trouble getting tickets with a guesthouse.Usually they are the same price as you'd pay if you went to the bus station to purchase yourself. Also,if you buy from GH you normally get a complimentary lift to the bus station from the GH savings you a tuk-tuk fare.
My personal no no for buses in Camb is Soriya -they frequently break down because they've never heard of engine maintenance.The one exception is their bus from PP to HCMC which is new.

#3 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by BDV on 24/8/2009 at 15:36

In my experience tickets sold by guesthouses are normally the same as buying directly from the bus companies.

Have had one time where the ticket from Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh (GST) was cheaper from the guesthouse than from the bus terminal.

Plus as sayadian says you get free transport to the bus station.

We all seems to have different experiences lol....never had a problem with Soriya and is my preferred choice. Perhaps just been lucky:)

#4 BDV has been a member since 27/9/2008. Posts: 20

Posted by sayadian on 25/8/2009 at 16:01

BDV, Believe me you've just been lucky ;)
Soriya are the pits! Still I hope you never have a breakdown with them.
Good luck.

#5 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.