Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

And another trip itinerary for review...

Posted by Lawoat on 25/8/2009 at 14:12

Hi All,

After spending some time on the forum and winning a Travelfish T-Shirt which I will wear with pride, you can find my itinerary below.

11/nov Brussel - Bangkok
12/nov Bangkok - Saigon
13/nov Saigon
14/nov Saigon
15/nov Saigon - Cai Be - Vinh Long - Can Tho
16/nov Can Tho - Cai Rang - Long Xuyen - Chau Doc
17/nov Chau Doc - Phnom Penh
18/nov Phnom Penh
19/nov Phnom Penh
20/nov Pnom Penh - Sihanoukville
21/nov Sihanoukville/Kep
22/nov Sihanoukville/Kep
23/nov Sihanoukville - Phnom Penh
24/nov Pnom Penh - Kompong Cham
25/nov Kompong Cham - Siem reap
26/nov Siem Reap
27/nov Siem Reap
28/nov Siem Reap
29/nov Siem Reap - Bangkok
30/nov Bangkok
1/dec Bangkok
2/dec Bangkok
3/dec Bangkok - Brussel

My Questions

1. We will arrive in Bangkok very early in the morning (say around 8am). Connecting flight to Saigon doesn't leave untill 4pm... I assume we need to enter Thailand, get the visa, reclaim luggage and then wait around the airport?

2. From Saigon to Phnom Penh we will book a tour with SinhCafe...Does anyone have experience with this tour? Do you need to book in advance or can you just do it there 1 day in advance?

3. In Bangkok we want to do the Bike Tour in the countryside from www.spiceroads.com - feedback would be appreciated

4. The days we have planned in Sihanoukville/Kep can be subject to change. We have planned it like this to make sure we have a rest period in the middle of all the big cities, however things can change as you go along ;-)

Thanks for any feedback and greetings

Lawoat

#1 Lawoat has been a member since 29/6/2009. Posts: 59

Posted by somtam2000 on 25/8/2009 at 14:30 admin

1. We will arrive in Bangkok very early in the morning (say around 8am). Connecting flight to Saigon doesn't leave untill 4pm... I assume we need to enter Thailand, get the visa, reclaim luggage and then wait around the airport?

I'm not sure if you will have to clear customs -- check with your airlines, but if you do, you'll get 30-days visa on arrival. With six hours I would definitely head into town -- six hours would totally do my head in at the new airport. Have you been to Thailand before? If not, and you wanted to do some quick sightseeing, I'd suggest Jim Thompson's House for starters.

2. From Saigon to Phnom Penh we will book a tour with SinhCafe...Does anyone have experience with this tour? Do you need to book in advance or can you just do it there 1 day in advance?

When I read your itinerary, I assumed you were doing it DIY -- really no need to do a tour. Would recommend overnight in Vinh Long (homestay) and overnight in Can Tho (so you can see the floating markets the following morning), then to Chau Doc and catch the speedboat following morning to PP.

3. In Bangkok we want to do the Bike Tour in the countryside from www.spiceroads.com - feedback would be appreciated

Can't help you on that provider, there is a cycling in Bkk story here though -- we loved it: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/47

4. The days we have planned in Sihanoukville/ Kep can be subject to change. We have planned it like this to make sure we have a rest period in the middle of all the big cities, however things can change as you go along ;-)

My personal pref is Kep and Kampot over Sihanoukville, but Sanookyville does have FAR better beaches ... there's also guesthouses on some other islands now (unfortunately not on TF yet) google "Lazy Beach Cambodia" to see one that I continue to get RAVE reports about.

Send us a pic with that Tshirt in action!

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Lawoat on 25/8/2009 at 15:10

We might go in to town quickly and see, on the other hand I have taken around 200 flight the last 2 years for work, so I know what life is on an airport and in all fairness all you need is a good book ;-)

We did look in to doing the Mekong Delta excursion ourselves, but its our first time in SEA, so we choose the easy way out... I have done a lot of backpacking in the past but always in countries where I could make myself understandable (USA east-coast, USA-west coast, CUBA, New Zealans, Europe,...). I have this feeling that in the bigger cities I can use my English and French, but haven't got a clue what it is like in the more rural areas...

Just checked out http://www.lazybeachcambodia.com/ and I must admit it looks very nice...Thanks for the tip! Just wondering if its not too laid back ;-)

#3 Lawoat has been a member since 29/6/2009. Posts: 59

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.