Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Battambang

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I am looking for the name of a famous temple near Battambang. When I was there in January the local expats were telling me of this temple a few hours away. According to them its "better" than Ankor Wat but no one really knows about it yet.

I didn't have the time to check it out and with the crappy maps that they gave me, I just didn't have the energy to find it on my own.

They also told me that its in the latest Cambodia lonely planet so now the "secret is out" blah blah blah.....

Anyway does anyone who what I am talking about...I am sure someone on this website knows what I am talking about.

Thanks!!

#1 Posted: 29/8/2009 - 21:31

• Advertisement

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

By the way...what a cool little city that is.

I spent a month in Cambodia and Battambang is definately one of the best places to visit, **** I liked it a lot more than Siem Reap!

#2 Posted: 29/8/2009 - 21:41

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

matto

I've not been to Battambang, so can't call on personal experience. I looked on the net, and two places pop up.

Phanom or Wat Banan is some 25k from B and described by Stuart here another site has pics of value . Elsewhere, the directions state " It is located on the top of approximate 400-meter heighten mountain at Kon Tey 2 commune, Ba Nan District . At the mountain’s valley, there are the pond Ku Teuk and two main natural wells, namely: Bit Meas and Chhung or Chhung Achey."

As far as I can tell, and as it is elsewhere located south-west of B, you take route 154 (or 155 from B). Go look at this site and open 'interactive map' and zoom

Phnom or Wat Sampeau, this is along route 57. And, described at the TF site for B. This isn't elsewhere called the alternate Angkor Wat.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 30/8/2009 - 07:01

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Phnom Banan is most likely the one you've been told about. It has been in Lonely Planet for quite a few editions though, so not sure what to make of the "cat is outa the bag" statement people gave you as its been there for quite a few hundred years :-)

It's a good site, well situated with pretty views, but the only way i'd say it is beter than AW is that theres no crowds there. I've been a few times and on each occasion was the only bod there. 45 minutes it plenty of time to take the main site in. The real attraction is the views.

Any moto worth their mettle can take you there, its a standard on the day trips out of B'bang.

Bruce, I know Stuart has been to Battambang, but I'm pretty sure that ain't his write-up on Phnom Banan. As am sure you're aware there is quite a few people who write for TF, not just him and Samantha.

Wat Sampeau is a hilltop wat and killing fields site (famous for the children that were thrown against the wall of a deep pit). Nothing Angkorian there to my knowledge.

#4 Posted: 30/8/2009 - 09:51

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

So, somtam2000 isn't necessarily Stuart!

Never did suspect that.

You wrote ...

Bruce, I know Stuart has been to Battambang, but I'm pretty sure that ain't his write-up on Phnom Banan. As am sure you're aware there is quite a few people who write for TF, not just him and Samantha.

So, whoever you are, I'm aware that Stuart doesn't necessarily go to, or write up, the Travelfish place descriptions. When I wrote ...and described by Stuart here I was talking in the collective sense. In future I'll write 'described by Travelfish here..'

Cheers

#5 Posted: 30/8/2009 - 10:59

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"So, somtam2000 isn't necessarily Stuart!"

Yeah, that confused me, too!

#6 Posted: 30/8/2009 - 11:04

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Bruce, Lizzy: It's him most of the time, but over the last month or so he has tended to take sunday's off and I keep an eye on things. You can call me, ahhhh somtam2000 ;-)

He mentioned that this handle was used by a few people in that "who is somtam" thread from the re-banned twit a few weeks ago, but didn't make much of it. I think the idea is that it's a catch all handle that can be passed around if Stuart or Sam need someone else to look after things for a few days as it makes more sense than having different handles for helpers that may come and go.

It's not a big deal, was just Bruce's use of his name in the above that caught my eye.

hope that clears it up.

#7 Posted: 30/8/2009 - 11:13

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

So, who ARE YOU?

Interested....

#8 Posted: 30/8/2009 - 11:37

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

C'mon mr imposter, tell us something about yourself!!

Mmmm...wanting to know who sits in Stuarts chair, acts like Stuart, but...

#9 Posted: 30/8/2009 - 19:34

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

You know...

I get the feeling from the linguistic characteristics that it be SBE...

Mmmmm....

#10 Posted: 30/8/2009 - 19:47

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

God I always get blamed for everything. Bruce do stop fantasizing about me... it isn't going to happen. Many have tried and failed and limped off into the sunset so be warned.

Does it really matter who is sitting in Stuarts chair? Presumably Stuart gave whoever it is permission to sit there on Sundays.

And what makes you think Stuart should be stuck in his chair without even one day off a week? They abolished slavery some time ago!

#11 Posted: 31/8/2009 - 00:30

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

Riding the 'bamboo train' was fun.

#12 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 15:57

• foxmulder123

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

It was probably one of my "crappy" maps that you are talking about and the temple is not located on my maps as my maps are only of Battambang province.

The temples I refer to are out at Banteay Chhmar, roughly 2.5 hours drive north of Battambang.

#13 Posted: 5/9/2009 - 18:01

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Thats the name! Banteay Chhmar! Stuart do you know about this??

Fox - As you can see on my second post on this thread:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/indochina/7444_revised-itinerary-for-2-5-months-se-asia

I have said nothing but good things about your establishment.

#14 Posted: 5/9/2009 - 22:25

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

a great write up on Banteay Chhmar by Andy Brouwer here http://www.andybrouwer.co.uk/bchh.html

#15 Posted: 6/9/2009 - 01:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.