Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

itinerary for comments!

• xhai

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2009

hi everyone am headed to siem reap in two days' time and am thinking of the following itinerary:

Day 1: Land in airport about 12pm, check-in at golden temple villa, head to south gate of angkor thom and central angkor thom (bayon, tarrace of the elephants, leper king). Phnom Bakheng for sunset.

Day 2: angkor wat for sunrise, ta phrom, pre nup, banteay srey (maybe). Rolous group after lunch.

Day 3: tonle sap for morning, siem reap town after lunch.

Day 4: Travel to Phnom Penh.

I was wondering if i am able to squeeze in preah khan on Day 2 in the morning, and if i should return to Angkor wat before lunch as i understand its a better view in the afternoon?

Would Day 1 be too much? I supposed if i am unable to complete the planned Day 1 temples i can move them to Day 2 morning before heading to rolous group.

How far is Banteay Srey via tuk tuk? Is it worth the 2 hour journey to and fro?

Appreciate the comments! Thanks :)

#1 Posted: 31/8/2009 - 14:57

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Day 1 is doable, but bear in mind if you land at midday you'll be doing well to be in the park by 2:30/3pm. Bayon in particular can eat up a lot of time.

Day 2: I'd ditch roulos and add Preah Khan.

Day 3: If by Tonle Sap you mean Chong Khneas, I just wouldn't bother! If you want to see lakeside, I'd suggest Kompong Phluk, Kompong Khleang or Kbal Taol -- all three are far superior, the first two are long half-day trips, the last one is a long full day trip. If you do decide to do Ching Khneas, I'd suggest also seeing Phnom Krom -- terrific views.

Bantaey Srei is worth the ride out to (it's about 30odd km) -- it is best early morning, but it is also very busy at the time of day.

Have fun!

#2 Posted: 31/8/2009 - 15:30

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

xhai

I suggest it's not about how much you can fit in within the shortest amount of time. But, then again, some people like to be able to say nothing more than they've been there...

Check out this omment here .

Cheers

#3 Posted: 31/8/2009 - 18:22

• xhai

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2009

hi somtam (one of my fav foods!) and bruce thanks for the comments!

does that mean that rolous group is not worth visiting? i am more keen to ditch banteay srey, and add in preah khan for Day 2.

on day 3, yes sorry i meant kompong phluk, one of the floating villages on the tonle sap. do we need to pay a fee for this?

i suppose if i run of time on day 1 and 2, i can move kompong phluk to after lunch on day 3, any good sunset views from kompong phluk?

thanks again!

#4 Posted: 31/8/2009 - 22:17

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

xhai

I like the ambience of Preah Ko in the Rolous group.

But, I suggest the issue is not what's good or otherwise, but what you can get to see in the very very short time while there.

The Rolous group are some 20 minutes from town, and about 30 from the nearest 'other' temple site.

The issue for you is to see a series of 'good' temples, but do it in a way that doesn't spend a lot of time travelling.

Not on many people's list, but one that impressed me was Phimeanakas & the Royal Palace. It's not the most reconstructed ruin, rather, it is set in a wonderful garden setting - and, after running around all day clambering over temple ruins, its a great contrast in mid to late afternoon (especially if the area is hot).

My suggestion is that on your first day....

You'll be accosted at nearly every popular temple by kids selling books, many on the temples. There are several that are really good. While they will offer the books at silly prices (eg. US$30), they will accept maybe less than US$5. Go buy one, read up that night, and work out what you want to see from there.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 04:51

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd say Bantaey Srei is a more "beautiful" site than the roulos group, thought the Bakong is very impressive - esp in wet season -- but it's a personal call.

Re Kompong Phhluk there is no admission fee, but it's bit of a haul to get out there and you'll need to pay the boatman once you're there.

Sunset on the water is always good, but bear in mind that means you'll be travelling back to Siem Reap at night -- not that there are any security issues, just ride carefully!

#6 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 07:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Rouh Itinerary - Comments welcome ... By Mangala on 20 Nov 2009 2 2085 20 Nov 2009
Vietnam - a 60 day itinerary - comments ... By kandpfishos on 9 Jun 2011 7 3243 7 Jul 2011
Any Comments on Planned Itinerary? ... By RichMelZA on 21 Oct 2009 3 2542 27 Oct 2009
Open minded for comments on Itinerary! Thanks! ... By virgingirl on 5 May 2011 5 2271 6 Aug 2011
Firts Trip To Vietnam Itinerary (Can someone please add their comments?) ... By gracenpaul on 29 Jul 2009 3 1922 29 Jul 2009
3 week itinerary in SE Asia - Comments needed ... By randy_from_canada on 8 May 2008 2 3488 15 May 2008
Itinerary Advice/Comments Wanted - Asia ... By brothbart on 18 Dec 2009 5 3972 17 Apr 2012