Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

The Villa Siem Reap (package...)

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

Hey all,

I was recommended this place by a friend who stayed there earlier this year. She raved about it.

I found this five-night package at US$215pp (plus US$40 each for the three-day pass) on their website and think it looks like really good value plus it hits what we want to hit: http://www.thevillasiemreap.com/packages_5nsupervalue.htm

What are some of the experts thoughts? Love the idea of having a reliable guide organized and it does sound like a good operation. Is there a massive premium loaded into this package over DIY? This is pretty much on budget for what we'd be looking at spending I guess on average 'per day' for our trip.

Cheers,
    Ash

#1 Posted: 31/8/2009 - 17:34

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Interesting question. Looking at their rates for everything ($28 for a room, $30 per day for a tuk tuk (cough cough) then it looks like a reasonable deal. Note it is twin share... so really you're looking at $430.

Yes you could do it cheaper -- you could stay somewhere equally good for $10, arrange your own tuk tuk -- lets be generous and say $20 a day, organise your own trip to Kompong Phhluk (expect to pay $60-100 depending on the operator) and forgo some of the extras like the booze and lunchpacks...

But, if it is what you want to pay, then why not? You paying for the convenience of getting it all sorted...

Villa is a very popular spot and they package all sorts of deals like this. In my personal opinion they're a tad overpriced for what you get, but they're obviously doing something right as the place is routinely packed.

Simple answer is yes you could do it cheaper, but do you really want to ;-)

#2 Posted: 31/8/2009 - 18:02

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Ash

Irrespective of price, the question I'd be asking is "where will they be taking me, at what times, how much will I see, how much will I miss"

One can waste a lot of time waiting in queues for others to move so you can get 'your' photo, etc. My experience is that some of the best viewing is between 6am - 9am.

The scale of the Angkor temples is far beyond what most anticipate. Go look here for an idea or two.

As Stuart indicated, the price is bloody high.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 31/8/2009 - 18:28

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

Thanks Stuart & Bruce. And yes, read your post re Angkor - hence why we're opting to have three full days devoted to temples - albeit the partner doesn't know this yet and no doubt he won't be overly enthused if previous vacations are anything to go by... ;o)

RE overpriced... are we talking a mother of a rip off or a little on the side for 'community development' - they're one of those ops that claim they give back.

I don't mind paying a bit more for convenience/value but if this is a serious rip off I'll look elsewhere...

If I don't go with this, how hard is it to arrange basically everything that is included in such a package? Tips?

#4 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 02:11

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Ash

Stuart suggested prices - I reckon his were expensive!!! I'd say:

US$10-15 / GH / couple / day, = 50/75
    US$10-12 / tuk-tuk / per couple / day = 36
    US$80 for 2 3day passes = 80
    total = US$190

As for Kompong Phluk, the site I elsewhere on TF referenced ( here ) suggests...

"Prices for trips to Komponh Phluk vary widely. As with most trips of this nature, you get what you pay for, and the cheapest options won't be the best. Ideally a quality trip for two should cost between $70 and $90, which will include transport, guide, boats, and possibly lunch."

So, lets say US$100.

The total you should be paying is some US$290.

And, they want $430. You figure.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 05:05

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Sorry Ash, their price is not 430 (I forgot to include the 3 day pass), but US$510.

So, you can easily do for US$290, they are charging US$510.

And, you may not get to see the temples at the better times of early am, sunset, etc.

Cheers, again

#6 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 05:07

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

Bah. Back to the drawing board. I'd like to arrange this part I think because it would be good to just hit the ground running seeing as we know what we want to see (as opposed to some other cities/destinations where you just rock up and go with the flow).

Any recommendations for any other package-type deals would be appreciated... Don't mind if some extras are included. Not sure is the US120 of extras (food, guide, wine, dinner, etc) are worth convenience...

#7 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 05:21

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I had a longer reply in mind, but you were competing against martinis and ribs at Naughty Nuri's ... sorry!

I got the full list of what their trip includes and did a price comparison for you:

5 Night Super Value Package $215 per person twin share -- so $430.

My guestimates on the individual items:
    Accommodation list price: $140 (5 nights at $28)
    10 breakfasts at $4 per person per day: $40
    8 temple packs -- each contains two drinks plus a sambo or salad. The latter is off their menu and their food is good, so let's go wild and crazy and put a $7 per pack price on this. $56
    Tuk Tuk with driver for 4.5 days @ $30 per day (their rate) $135
    Guide for 1 day: $30
    Kompong Phhluk: Their standalone tour for this is only $32 -- I'd imagine their is a minimum group size (prob four) on the standalone tour. But lets go with $32.
    Outlying temples: This is tricky because they don't specify which ones they are talking about. The 30km note makes it sound like Bantaey Srei as Beng Mealea, Phnom Kulen etc are all further out. So can't really set a price on it. But doing this soloyour tuk tuk would expect you to pay a surcharge.
    National Artisans silk centre: 16km out of town (no price)
    Khmer dancing (no price)
    Wine pack -- a drinkable bottle of red can be had for around $10 -- add $5 for the slab of cheese and olives.

So on their prices it totals up at (around) $448 which gels pretty well with the stated price of $430 for two.

Like I said you can certainly do this cheaper, expanding on my post from last night:

Accommodation list price: $50 (5 nights at $10)
    10 breakfasts at $2 per person per day: $20
    8 lunches 4 at temple park @ $3 a head, 4 in town @ 6 a head. $36
    Tuk Tuk with driver for 4.5 days @ $15-20 per day $67-90
    Guide for 1 day: $30
    Kompong Phhluk: $60-100 for two
    Outlying temples: (included in allowance for tuk tuk rate above)
    National Artisans silk centre: 16km out of town (included in allowance for tuk tuk rate above)
    Khmer dancing: Price varies tremendously on this -- some places it is free if you eat, others $35 a head. Say $10 per person.
    Wine pack -- a drinkable bottle of red can be had for around $10 -- add $5 for the slab of cheese and olives.

Coming out at: $248-351 give or take.

You could do it for less again by eating less, staying at cheaper lodgings again or by grinding down your tuk tuk driver, or for more by having six beers with every lunch... but as an estimate this is the ballpark I think you'd be looking at.

So yes it is more expensive than doing it solo, but I wouldn't say it is an outrageous gouge -- I've seen far worse! If you want a comparitive price, drop Gordon at Two Dragons a mail and see what he can put together for you. You can contact him via the Tales of Asia site.

Cheers

#8 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 07:07

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

Thanks Stuart
    Have emailed Gordon... :)

#9 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 07:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
The Queen House Villa in Siem Reap ... By traveller_cambodia on 25 Oct 2006 4 5733 19 Aug 2009
Ponloue Angkor Siem Reap Villa recommended ... By Rickycity on 15 Jul 2009 1 2514 16 Sep 2009
Five Star Angkor Villa - new value place in Siem Reap ... By kristinholdo on 24 Mar 2008 3 5276 2 Jun 2011
"The Prince Mekong Villa" in Siem Reap is missing in your hotelguide ... By JanNiklas on 19 Apr 2007 1 3952 16 Feb 2010
Ancient Siem Reap Villa was reasonable price & quality hotel ... By Alisa on 11 Jan 2009 3 2502 16 Feb 2009