admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm just in the process of sending the newsletter and I remembered the following email we got from last month's effort. I forgot to post it at the time, so here it is:

"Early this year, on January 25th (2009), just over one year since I began my travels through Asia, and on the day before Chinese New Year no less, I was cycling around Battambang. As I was about to cross the river by way of an iron bridge, an opening suddenly appeared - probably a negligently exposed part of the structure, which I could not avoid; causing the bike and I to plummet through together.

I blacked out instantaneously, and miraculously survived, landing on the riverbank about 10 metres below. Even more miraculously, I did not sustain any brain or spine injuries; though the fractures and other injuries (neurological and otherwise) have kept me in enough pain and treatments these past 6-1/2 months. Now that I'm dealing with the healing back here in Canada, I figured I ought to pass the word on so other travellers don't meet the same fate as I did - or worse.

I later heard at the hospital (kudos to the staff at the surgical centre of Emergency Hospital/Ilaria Api Hospital) that many other people are known to have fallen through that opening, some were badly injured, others died. I am still waiting to get word back from someone in Battambang, to hear whether something has been done... but unlikely.

Perhaps you can put the word out -- not to freak anyone out, because the city is quite a lovely stopover between Siem Reap and Phnomh Penh (which I obviously never got to) -- that they should not only be on the lookout for landmines/UXOs and malaria... but bridges as well."

Thanks for the message -- and get well (and travelling) soon!

#1 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 14:49

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hey Somtam,

Who did that come from?

Nice new profile image, by the way. Very calming. I meant to ask you before what the other one was. A dog? Horse?

#2 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 20:12

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks -- the old pic was a temple guardian at Pak Tha in Laos (midway between Huay Xai and Pakbeng ).

Story was from a recipient of the newsletter, but nor overly active on the messageboard. Assuming they read the latest edition, I'll leave it to them to pipe in. :-)

#3 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 20:59

• peripatete

Joined Travelfish
    4th September, 2009

Hi Tilapia:

Mea culpa... 'twas I who sent in the bridge accident story.

Are you planning to travel to Battambang or in that area by any chance...? If so, please let me know.

Thanks!

#4 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 04:01

• cdnexplorer

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2009

peripatete:
    I'm a fellow Canadian travelling to Cambodia in early 2010. I'll be spending at least 3 nights in Battambang - where is this bridge? Are there many bridges, or will this one stick out like a sore thumb?

Appreciate the heads up, and hope your recovery is going well.

#5 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 08:03

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi peripatete,

I might be heading that way next winter (not this one coming up), but that is not why I asked. I asked because a friend of mine is cycling through that area and I hadn't heard from him for a bit. Thought it might have been him.

Quite a tumble you took. Glad you're on the mend.

I did a trip along parts of the Mekong last year. I'm putting a journal together on Crazy Guy on a Bike and can let you know when I post it if you want. I'll probably stick it in the cycling forum.

Hope the healing continues nicely.
    Cheers.

#6 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 20:28

• peripatete

Joined Travelfish
    4th September, 2009

To cdnexplorer: From what I recall, the bridge is south of the psar chas (old market), and south still of the wooden loo hanging out over the river (funny-looking thing with vines growing!). I think it might be the only bridge on which cars do not travel; I think it might be too narrow (or unstable), so I remember only seeing bikes and motorbikes crossing. If I get any more details from my contact at the hospital, I'll pass them on. Anyways, let me just suggest that you keep your eyes open and dismount your bike while crossing ANY bridge... Perhaps you can get in touch with me when you get to Battambang, as I'm still trying to get some info about that very bridge. Thnx.

To Tilapia: First of all, I'm glad that my two-cents allayed your concern over your friend. It's not always the easiest country to get online. Please do let me know about your posting, I'll be curious to read all about the parts I never (yet) got around to visiting... :)

#7 Posted: 5/9/2009 - 04:33

• sarah365

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2009

Hi,

I have been in siem reap on June 09. I really did a cycling tour from town of siem reap to angkor complex for one day. It was exciting during the tour cycling through jungle temples from Ta prohm to preah kan temple.

You should try that any day you want when you being there.
    Cheers!

#8 Posted: 7/9/2009 - 09:47

• peripatete

Joined Travelfish
    4th September, 2009

..or if you'd rather stay away from the hordes of Angkor and don't mind venturing out a bit further, I would recommend you hire a tuktuk and driver for the day and head out about 60k east to Beng Melea. Not only are the ruins spectacular, but the crowds are practically nonexistent and the journey itself, there and back, is an adventure itself: I saw at least 2 weddings taking place, a home being built by an entire family, hogs strapped to the back of motorbikes, and so much more!!

Happy & safe travels!

#9 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 23:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.