Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Route Suggestion

• cdnexplorer

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2009

I'll be travelling Cambodia in early 2010, and while drawing up some rough itineraries my fellow traveller and I have a discrepency between our two routes.

We will be heading from Bangkok to Koh Chang, and from there making our way to northwestern Cambodia.

Route 1:
    -Ko Chang to Chanthanburi
    -Chanthanburi to Ban Pakard, crossing the border at Psar Pruhm
    -share taxi to Battambang
    -Battambang to Siem Reap via Tonle Sap
    -Siem Reap to Phnom Penh

Route 2:
    -Koh Chang to Poipet border crossing
    -Poipet to Siem Reap via bus
    -Siem Reap to Battambang via Tonle Sap
    -Battambang to Phnom Penh, stopping along the way at Pursat and Veal Vang

Which route would you suggest is 'better'? ie. easier route, better scenery, any stops that may not be worth the time??

#1 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 07:59

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

cdn

How much time will this journey take?

Cheers

#2 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 08:02

• cdnexplorer

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2009

We'll be spending roughly 3 days in Battambang and closer to 6 in Siem Reap. We're spending 6 months in SE Asia, so this is only a tiny slice of the entire trip - just looking for advice on this specific leg.

#3 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 08:39

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

cdn

There was a thread recently that suggested the over water option from Battambang to Siem Reap is a headache...

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/cambodia/1543_cambodia---boat-from-siem-reap-to-battambang-during-february

Maybe it was a disgruntled pax, but...

As a suggestion from someone that has only done some sections of either route, if I had the time I'd go the Chanthanburi route - maybe even head across to Ko Chang as well.

Cheers

Cheers

#4 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 09:18

• cdnexplorer

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2009

Thanks for the input Bruce. The post you referred me to doesn't seem right though, as the tonle sap is a large enough body of water that I can't imagine it would 'run dry' even during dry season.

Also, we're spending 2-3 nights in Ko Chang. In fact it's our first stop after arriving in Bangkok....thought we'd get some beach time in right off the start (we'll be coming from Canada in the middle of winter....much deserved). I was sad to see that the Treehouse lodge is no longer in operation - it looked pretty wicked, but I'm geussing it has been replaced by a pricey resort? Magic Garden looks pretty neat though.

#5 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 12:16

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Logistics wise, the Poipet crossing is easier -- there's just a lot more transport on that route to take advantage of.

The other route takes you through Pailin which you might be tempted to slow down at, but in the scheme of things there isn't a lot there to see -- especially as they;ve carted the senior KR dudes off to PP for the show trial. The scenery is pretty enough, but not so much if you're wedged into the back corner of a Toyota Camry (I did the Battambang to Pailin run once in a Camry with 13 other passengers -- nightmare).

The other thing is if there are no taxis at the border, you'll need to get a moto to Pailin anyway (from where it is far easier to get a share taxi) -- or wait till one shows.

Another point is, wile I've never been to Veal Vang, there used to be a dirt road to there from Pailin -- no idea what kind of state it is in now.

The boat crossing can be a bit ropey -- I've done it a few times -- if the weather is calm (and so no waves) then it can be a stunningly beautiful trip -- especially the lower reaches of the Sangker River. But if the weather is bad, and so the lake wavy, it can be a nightmare. A lot also depends on the boat -- they're seemingly randomly chosen day by day. Boats have sunk, though they more often run aground -- which will probably be more the issue for you given the time you're going (middle of dry season).

Treehouse has moved to Ko Pha Ngan -- though I thought the old one was still running though under new management...

I know I haven't really answered your question -- but I guess the latter is faster and easier.

#6 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 12:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.