admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I've just added a new story onto Travelfish -- an email interview with Daniela Ruby Papi of PEPY Tours.

PEPY runs "educational adventure tours" to rural Cambodia with a focus on supporting development in Cambodia's educational system.

The interview may be of interest to anyone with an eye on the development scene there and with opinions on what forms good sustainable tourism.

You can read the full story here:
    Sustainable tourism in Cambodia with PEPY Tours

Cheers

#1 Posted: 11/9/2009 - 09:53

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Before I add my comment about the term sustainable, I want to say that the concept being pursued by PEPY Tours is admirable. Thanks Stuart for bringing these tours to our collective attention.

- - -

I have an axe to grind over the term sustainable.

Wiktionary defines the term as able to be sustained for an indefinite period without damaging the environment, or without depleting a resource.

Like the term 'sustainability', sustainable is increasingly being used more to attract market share than actually deliver an outcome that over the long term is ongoing, resource depletion neutral, and environmentally impact positive.

Because the term sustainable is fashionable, we get inundated with marketing crap focussing on how one aspect of the product can be perceived as socially or environmentally helpful. In so doing, the marketers fail to also show the negative feedback problems.

The fact is that global warming is telling us that our fossil fuel dependant lifestyle is wreaking havoc. And, that collectively, we have to address this immense problem. In part, the term sustainability was initially used by environmentalists to differentiate between unsustainable negative feedback mechanisms, and sustainable positive feedback ones. To that end, the term sustainable was used to both describe a concept and as a contrast (for education).

My 'axe' issue is that the term sustainable has been hijacked by the marketing department, and in so doing the term is fast losing credibility in the mind of the public. But worse, like similar 'must use' phrases, the term will become so degraded in the broader public mind that the very reason for the use of the term becomes lost.

- - -

I want to add that PEPY do not use the term sustainable to promote their product. Rather, their logo is
    Adventurous Living. Responsible Giving.

In fact, from their website, I can only see the term sustainable used in relation to matters unrelated to the PEPY product (albeit as an outcome).

- - -

Apologies for being a bit cranky over the term sustainable, but I believe we should collectively be 'defending' the term as it was originally meant - to differentiate between types of human resource use activities.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 11/9/2009 - 10:29

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Thanks for the post sontam, makes for an interesting read

#3 Posted: 11/9/2009 - 14:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.