Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

more places to visit in Cambodia-Kirirom and Kampong Speu

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

When I visited Kirirom National Park I spent two days there and was amazed by the absence of any foreign tourists. I wonder if many on here have been or plan to visit this beautiful part of Cambodia?
    If they didn't go or are not planning on visiting, is/was it because of the diffculty in making transport arrangements?
    Again, all of you who visit the 'killing fields' in PP are you aware of a similar site in Kampong Speu with the added attraction of a beautiful riverside location.You can get there by minibus from near Soraya bus station in Phnom Penh and it only takes an hour.

#1 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 16:01

• Advertisement

• jojow25

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

Hey sayadian - we're going there too when next month.. could you reccommend a place to stay within the naitonal park?

Cheers!

#2 Posted: 3/10/2009 - 11:25

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Hi jowjow25
    I stayed at a guesthouse in the village at the turn off (route 4) to Kirirom.There is the Kirirom resort which is just on the edge of the park.This looks nice but I would avoid visiting on the weekend when an endless convoy of 4x4s head there from Phnom Penh.Apart from the weekend it's pretty quite and very beautiful. I've also been told there are huts available from the visitors centre.
    How are you getting there? if you're coming by bus from PP you will need to hire a moto to get into the park.The best way is to hire your own motorbike in PP or S'ville.

#3 Posted: 3/10/2009 - 20:37

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

Hi Sayadian, I am very interested in visiting
    Kirirom National Park and am wondering how you travelled there? I am thinking that hiring a motorbike or scooter from PP and riding there (with my partner) would be a great experience but it is a fair distance and I am not sure how we would go getting there and back in a day and how safe the road is for us to go alone etc. We've riden before so thats not an issue. Any feedback you have would be great!

#4 Posted: 16/11/2009 - 09:37

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

It's about two and a half hours ride from PP.I wouldn't attempt it on a small bike as the traffic constantly passing you can be a bit disconcerting.It is a busy road, the same one that goes to Sihanoukvuille (route 4?)but if you hire a decent trail bike you should have no problems if you understand the Khmer driving mentality. That is expect anyone to come from anywhere at anytime.Also if you hear an airhorn sound behind you, you are expected to move over onto the dirt track for him to pass.It's probably a quicker trip from Sihanoukville and you can hire a bike there.Kirirom is a lovely place to visit but it really is necessary to have your own transport to get away from the Khmer picnicking crowd who tend to spoil the landscape by chucking their rubbish on the grass.Hope you enjoy the trip.

#5 Posted: 16/11/2009 - 11:39

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

Thanks for that advice, I will probably look into doing the trip from Sihanoukvuille and see if that might be a safer option.

#6 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 06:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
cross country from Kampong speu to Koh Kong ... By sayadian on 6 Oct 2010 3 2328 7 Oct 2010
Places to visit in Burma?? ... By harry142 on 4 Aug 2011 5 2193 4 Aug 2011
WHICH ARE THE CHAEP PLACES TO VISIT IN VIETNAM? ... By SIKELGAITA on 1 Feb 2011 2 2675 1 Feb 2011
Great Places for a Couple to Visit ... By thewanderer on 25 Aug 2011 6 2131 27 Aug 2011
visiting Australia - need recommendations on places to visit ... By melloluis on 7 Jan 2010 0 1672 7 Jan 2010
Vietnam with teens for 21 days - which places to visit? ... By Familyman on 7 Oct 2014 2 404 10 Oct 2014
Coming month I an planing to visit Japan. Can anyone help which places ... By LucieKoko on 19 Oct 2014 1 111 20 Oct 2014
travelling thailand with 12 yr old for xmas and new year, best places to visit. ... By aynat73 on 13 Oct 2009 3 1954 13 Oct 2009
Thailand - Railay Beach; Nearby Places to Visit?!? Advice Appreciated. ... By elocinoop on 29 Oct 2011 1 1212 29 Oct 2011