Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Fishing in Siem Reap?

• ccalvin09

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2009

My husband and I will be in Siem Reap in mid-January checking out Angkor. We're pumped! We want to take one day just to ride bikes into the countryside with a picnic and go fishing and make friends.

Is this possible or even legal? Has anyone done this? I don't want to go on a tour or hire a fishing guide. but i would happily hire a local kid to help us buy our gear and find a nice spot. He can even take our fish home to his family. =)

thoughts?

if fishing doesnt sound like a good idea, where would you suggest we ride our bikes. We want mellow, scenic and away from crowds. We don't necessarily have to "do" anything, we just want a nice day in the countryside.

#1 Posted: 17/9/2009 - 07:49

• Advertisement

• marigeri

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2006

there is no reason you can not go fish somewhere; they fish also every time they can; but the technics are with a filet they throw in water:
    you can go to the roluos group by the small road from siem reap; and continue till you arrive to the harbour to go kompong pluck; there is river where they go fishing; the road is full of small village and house; you can easily get lost but hopefully there is always someone who can show you the way just ask for bakong or kompong pluck and they will show you:
    the road will be quite bumpy, with bicycle but it s best to go over there; it s the most beautifull place; feel like you ride a time machine;

but siem reap is a very small town and there is great roundabout following the river too; and going to chong kneas; except it s nicer to go by the left side of the road; the dusty one; take a look at the pagoda on the way; there is plenty of them along the river:

i could not fish by myself but my friend do go all the time; and we eat their treasure after:
    enjoy your visit;
    ps: it s only possible to rent bicycle, you can not drive moto by yourself except if you buy one:

#2 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 03:41

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Check out this travel rod

It got pretty good review and has a fly and a spin rod. You could take one of those along with you with hooks of various sizes. Go down by the river and see what kind of insects are living around there, especially under rocks. Catch some and give it a go.

Look for others fishing around the area and they would also give you advice on what kind of bait to use.

#3 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 11:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.