Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Camera buying in PP

• pete61

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2009

I'm new to all this. I was advised that is cheaper to buy a camera in Cambodia (no taxes or duty) than to get one imported to Aust. or buy one duty free.
    1. Is this correct?
    2. If so would anyone know if the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35/38 is available in PP?

I'm n 2 minds as I think of warranty issues and the opportunity to play with the camera and get to know it before I travel.

Thanks, Pete

#1 Posted: 28/9/2009 - 14:03

• Advertisement

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

If you like Panasonics and can stretch your budget I'd go for the G1.

I wouldn't expect to make any huge saving buying in Cambodia that you can't get by just shopping around on the web. Also, because the dollar has bombed so much you have to take this into account. I don't know wher this camera is made, if it's Europe then as the dollar has tanked against the Euro you'd need a few more dollars to pay for it. Personally I wouldn't make any large puchases in Cambodia. You have a good point regarding getting used to the camera. The ones you are looking at have a lot of functionality and are not simple point and shoot cameras, you do need time to adjust to them in order to get the best out of em.

#2 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 06:19

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I bought my last Nikon in Phnom Penh, a D70 and the price ($1,000) was competitive for the time -- but there wasn't any huge saving. Also bear in mind guarantee issues -- some cameras sold there have a "local guarantee only" which basically means they post the camera to Singapore and it takes about 13 years to repair -- if you want a full international guarantee there's an additional cost.

Can't help on availability of a specific model.

#3 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 09:42

• pete61

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2009

Thanks for you input.

I ordered one from the web but from a local mob (Aus) with a good warranty. Couldn't stretch for the G1 but I'm happy with the one I ordered.

Pete

#4 Posted: 3/10/2009 - 14:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Buying a camera in Thailand ... By jp686 on 24 Oct 2011 3 2253 24 Oct 2011
Buying a digital camera in Bangkok!!! ... By Ingrids on 24 Oct 2009 17 21056 1 Oct 2011
Buying a camera in Ho Chi Minh City ... By Lawoat on 22 Aug 2009 3 6974 25 Aug 2009
Is it worth buying a camera in the airport? ... By Ashe88 on 1 Jan 2008 8 15014 18 Sep 2012