Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Camera buying in PP

Posted by pete61 on 28/9/2009 at 14:03

I'm new to all this. I was advised that is cheaper to buy a camera in Cambodia (no taxes or duty) than to get one imported to Aust. or buy one duty free.
1. Is this correct?
2. If so would anyone know if the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35/38 is available in PP?

I'm n 2 minds as I think of warranty issues and the opportunity to play with the camera and get to know it before I travel.

Thanks, Pete

#1 pete61 has been a member since 27/9/2009. Posts: 39

Posted by Sparts on 1/10/2009 at 06:19

If you like Panasonics and can stretch your budget I'd go for the G1.

I wouldn't expect to make any huge saving buying in Cambodia that you can't get by just shopping around on the web. Also, because the dollar has bombed so much you have to take this into account. I don't know wher this camera is made, if it's Europe then as the dollar has tanked against the Euro you'd need a few more dollars to pay for it. Personally I wouldn't make any large puchases in Cambodia. You have a good point regarding getting used to the camera. The ones you are looking at have a lot of functionality and are not simple point and shoot cameras, you do need time to adjust to them in order to get the best out of em.

#2 Sparts has been a member since 5/6/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 167
 Where has Sparts been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/10/2009 at 09:42 admin

I bought my last Nikon in Phnom Penh, a D70 and the price ($1,000) was competitive for the time -- but there wasn't any huge saving. Also bear in mind guarantee issues -- some cameras sold there have a "local guarantee only" which basically means they post the camera to Singapore and it takes about 13 years to repair -- if you want a full international guarantee there's an additional cost.

Can't help on availability of a specific model.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by pete61 on 3/10/2009 at 14:54

Thanks for you input.

I ordered one from the web but from a local mob (Aus) with a good warranty. Couldn't stretch for the G1 but I'm happy with the one I ordered.

Pete

#4 pete61 has been a member since 27/9/2009. Posts: 39

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.