Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Tensions in Cambodia

• ctam2009

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

I HATE TO BE THE FIRST PERSON ASKING- but we've been told by a fellow traveler that there has been a civil war going on in Cambodia for the past 2 weeks. He also mentioned that there has been a rather large number of tourist casualties. (We know about the ongoing border disputes between Thailand and Cambodia- not worried about that as we will be flying in). I've searched the web pretty hard and checked the travel advisories with no information coming up. I would assume this guys was blowing smoke- but can anyone confirm these statements? Not by ANY MEANS trying to create worry, just want to make sure as a few of us plan to head there in a week or so. Thank you very much for any information you can provide! THANKS!!!

#1 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 16:02

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

There was a civil war in Cambodia from 1970 - 1975?

Haven't heard anything about a current civil war and can't find anything online, not even on the Phnomh Penh Post website (http://www.phnompenhpost.com/).

#2 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 16:28

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

ctam2009: It's complete rubbish!

Hope that helps :)

#3 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 16:38

• palusami

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2009

Cambodia is pretty quiet at the moment actually it being the rainy season and all. No civil war, no expats evacuated (we-kiwis- are still here). pub street Siem Reap has been flooded in the last couple of days though as we get the residual rain from the Vietnamese typhoon!

#4 Posted: 2/10/2009 - 14:20

• ricksmylie

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2009
    Location Earth

I think you might be getting confused as there was some fighting over the Preah Veah Temple up on the Northern border with Thailand a few months ago, a few soldiers were killed but it's died down now.

#5 Posted: 25/10/2009 - 23:35

• rachrua

Joined Travelfish
    10th November, 2009
    Location Ireland

i was just doing a search for this same topic because i also heard this, myself and 3 other girls are planning a trip in february. Granted it was my dad that warned me of this and told us we should steer clear of the country for now, but i wonder where these people are getting their information from, my dad says he doesn't remember where he heard it. So you guys reckon there's absolutely no threat?...
    Thanks, Rachel.

#6 Posted: 10/11/2009 - 01:56

• ricksmylie

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2009
    Location Earth

I absolutely guarantee you 100% that there are no problems in cambodia at the present moment that you need to worry about... go and see my pal Jon in Sihanoukville, he plays guitar in a bar called "Sessions" - i'm sure exactly where it is but he will make you most welcome..

try Independence Beach, or Otres Beach

#7 Posted: 10/11/2009 - 02:19

• Rohan

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009

If there was a civil war, it would be on the Australian government's travel advisory website and it is not. The government's position on the Cambodia's safety level can be found at:

http://www.smarttraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/advice/Cambodia

#8 Posted: 10/11/2009 - 05:14

• Santatravel

Joined Travelfish
    10th November, 2009

I went to Cambodia not long time ago, there is a trouble between Cambodia and Thailand which still going on today. I have a close friend in Siem Reap so I probably know this more than other people do, we still keep in touch still today. It is 100 % safe in Cambodia it is just border dispute with is unsolved and not talk by both at all. The Thai did not take this issue to Asian Summit and want to talk to only Cambodian government. Now the tension is changing from the border to the former Thai PM Thaksin whom visit Cambodia this 12th Nov for commercial lesson to 300 officers invited from PM Hun Sen. I am just waiting to see because this is really interesting story for me.

On the other hand Cambodia is beautiful country which rich of ancient culture and natural resource. Especially the temple of Angkor and the surrounding area, please contact this guide for more information reach him with ratanak_eath@yahoo.com He is friendly and speak very good English and understand well about his country. thanks.
    Santa

#9 Posted: 10/11/2009 - 09:44

• hideaki2208

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2009

Once again, some more exciting happenings along the Thai-Cambodian border:
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/11/05/thailand.cambodia.thaksin/index.html

I'll be in Cambodia from 28th till 3rd Jan and hope to exit Cambodia via the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing to Thailand. Has anyone taken this recently and has anything to advise on?? thanks so much for the help :D

#10 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 13:05

• Advertisement

• ricksmylie

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2009
    Location Earth

tourism is too important for both countries for them to allow this to effect any travellers and their plans in the area, i wouldnt worry too much about it.. it'll blow over whatever it is..

#11 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 16:28

• Shaula

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2008

Hi I'm in Siem Reap right now and as far as I've heard there are still troups (from both countries) around Preah Veah but there is no trouble travelling around here. I've spoken to many people who ave crossed the border with Thailand the last few days and there were no problems..
    So if you're not travelling to Preah Veah there shouldn't be any problems..

#12 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 22:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.